Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gibson Custom shop Goldtop R4 or R6? Now NGD. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gibson Custom shop Goldtop R4 or R6? Now NGD.

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    edited October 2023
    deleted
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Same with my 60RI Special, the bridge intonates more than well enough 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    The same old advice rings true.

If you're spending upwards of £4k on a guitar, giving it a thorough try out in person is essential.

That will make your mind up for you.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    edited October 2023
    I've seen this Murphy Lab one the seller would let it go for £4750.
    https://www.squealingpigguitars.co.uk/product-page/gibson-usa-custom-shop-murphy-lab-56-les-paul-ultra-light-aged-goldtop-rose?utm_source=google&utm_medium=wix_google_feed

I could get a new non Murphy lab from Thomann for £4100.
    Is it worth the extra for the ML?
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited October 2023
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more for a Murphy Lab and quite like the VOS finish. That said, in your shoes, I'd consider the Murphy Lab gold top 54 at Coda. More money but weighs under 8lb. Might be able to favourably PX your R9 too.
    Personally, I wouldn't pay more for a Murphy Lab and quite like the VOS finish. That said, in your shoes, I'd consider the Murphy Lab gold top 54 at Coda. More money but weighs under 8lb. Might be able to favourably PX your R9 too.
    R9 sold hence the interest in a new guitar.
    Think I will go with Thomann and will come in on budget. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve got an R6. It’s superb.  Can’t recommend it highly enough. 
    Yup it is .......I don't especially like Les Pauls but have played quite a few special ones ;this thing sounds fantastic 
    What I really like is the useability of the neck compared to humbucker pickups in the neck ...it's just the right balance of woody and warm but not too thick and fuzzy ......it just glistens through a Vox style amp 
    A bloody lovely guitar .......wish it was mine
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited October 2023
    My 2014 factory-aged R6 might be up for sale soon. The OP isn’t interested in it but if anyone else is please let me know. Comes with case, COA and candy, it weighs just 8lb 4oz and more pics are available if required.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/82656/ngd-aged-gibson-r6-goldtop-content-more-pics-added/p1

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 822
    markj said:
    R9 sold hence the interest in a new guitar.
    Think I will go with Thomann and will come in on budget. 
    If you afford the ML version I’d go with that, the hard thin feels so much nicer in your hand than the sticky VOS stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TDubs said:
    Already been in touch with them.
    They cant confirm if its a 2006 or 2016.
    They had it up for £4995 before I told them how much a new one costs.
    Going to order a new one from Thomann when I sell my R 9 on Sunday.
    Thomann are £100 cheaper.
  • markj said:
    TDubs said:
    Already been in touch with them.
    They cant confirm if its a 2006 or 2016.
    They had it up for £4995 before I told them how much a new one costs.
    Going to order a new one from Thomann when I sell my R 9 on Sunday.
    Thomann are £100 cheaper.
    Looks like its a 2016, if that makes any difference to you.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2727
    Dominic said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Yup it is .......I don't especially like Les Pauls but have played quite a few special ones ;this thing sounds fantastic 
    What I really like is the useability of the neck compared to humbucker pickups in the neck ...it's just the right balance of woody and warm but not too thick and fuzzy ......it just glistens through a Vox style amp 
    Yes, another resounding declaration of love for that guitar from me too.  It's the nicest guitar I've played I think.  The neck was exactly the right size I felt, certainly smaller than an R8 but not slim either.  I just don't know about whether the Murphy guitars are different or better but my feeling, having owned that one, was that there seemed to be something about it in terms of feel and weight and sound that was just a bit better than the other Custom Shop Les Pauls I've owned, including a VOS R6 which was really nice too.  If you can find a Murphy at a manageable price I'd consider it.  I'm glad you're enjoying it @TheMarlin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    thebreeze said:
    Dominic said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Yes, another resounding declaration of love for that guitar from me too.  It's the nicest guitar I've played I think.  The neck was exactly the right size I felt, certainly smaller than an R8 but not slim either.  I just don't know about whether the Murphy guitars are different or better but my feeling, having owned that one, was that there seemed to be something about it in terms of feel and weight and sound that was just a bit better than the other Custom Shop Les Pauls I've owned, including a VOS R6 which was really nice too.  If you can find a Murphy at a manageable price I'd consider it.  I'm glad you're enjoying it @TheMarlin.
    Thank you. As a man who has never liked Les Paul’s, ans took a risk on this one, I absolutely adore it. Surprised myself!
    it’s on loan to @Dominic at the moment. He seems to quite like it too!
    I am about to do a good deal with Andertons on theirs they have for sale.
    edited October 2023
    markj said:
    I am about to do a good deal with Andertons on theirs they have for sale.
    Good luck. Got a link?

Edit. Just has a look. They have two Murphy’s Labs  R6 and an r4. 

Which one?
    They’ve got an R6 VOS in stock too
    edited October 2023
    elstoof said:
    They’ve got an R6 VOS in stock too
    This one.
    They nearly matched Thomann for price, I didn’t think Andertons would have knocked £700 off but it was worth asking and it payed off.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Result
    Arriving tomorrow.
    Looking forward to the pics :)
    TheMarlin said:
    Give me a few days.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    markj said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Give me a few days.
    No, now dammit now!! ;)
    A few pics for those that are interested.
    Superb guitar, lovely weight.
    A quarter turn on the truss rod and had to shim up the bridge pickup ( these are screwed direct to the body with no adjustment other than the polepieces)

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Nice, that.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    Thoroughly approved!
    Lovely. Congratulations. 

Would look even better with a Bigsby on it!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TheMarlin said:
    Lovely. Congratulations. 

I’m afraid not.
    Try to tame the shrillness on the bridge, I’ve been used to Wolfetone P90’s with A2 mags.
  • TheMarlin said:
    Lovely. Congratulations. 

This is so true, Les Pauls just look so much better with a B7 Bigsby.