Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gibson Custom shop Goldtop R4 or R6? Now NGD. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gibson Custom shop Goldtop R4 or R6? Now NGD.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 851
edited October 2023 in Guitar
Hoping to pick either one of these up relatively soon.
I’ve had experience of Gibsons with wraparound bridges and tune o matic and I know they’ll sound slightly different.
I won’t be able to try the guitars the R4 would be a special order.
Which guitar would forum members go for?
Also is there much difference in the neck profiles of the two.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    edited October 2023
    Wraparound for kudos and tone. I think the R4s have chunkier necks too but could be wrong on that

*edit* Also, why waste 30%? Buy used!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    My guess is it's more of a difference in string feel (see string tension thread), rather than sound. 

Personally I think R4s look wrong somehow, so that would probably drive my decision more than anything else!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    edited October 2023
    Wraparound for kudos and tone. I think the R4s have chunkier necks too but could be wrong on that

*edit* Also, why waste 30%? Buy used!
    If I come I would, can’t find a used R4 anywhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    There's one in Paris. If you're anywhere near the southeast it'd be worth a Eurostar daytrip and get a nice lunch while you're there :) 

https://reverb.com/item/71517516-gibson-les-paul-reissue-1954-custom-shop-humbucker-2012-goldtop-r4
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    There's one in Paris. If you're anywhere near the southeast it'd be worth a Eurostar daytrip and get a nice lunch while you're there  

https://reverb.com/item/71517516-gibson-les-paul-reissue-1954-custom-shop-humbucker-2012-goldtop-r4
    Thanks but it’s not an option, I’m looking for the P90 versions.
    Oh yes silly me! I just went "R4 - yep!". Brain not in gear yet... 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    I love the look of Gold Top, wrap over bridge Les Pauls. I once played a ‘real’ ‘54. It remains the best sounding electric guitar I’ve played.

On a practical level, you’re going to get more accurate intonation with an R6.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I love the look of Gold Top, wrap over bridge Les Pauls. I once played a ‘real’ ‘54. It remains the best sounding electric guitar I’ve played.

Was that the one Ben sometimes brings with him to the guitar shows - If so, then I agree a nice 54 but I've seen some that are just mediocre and need to be upgraded to 'player grade'

I'd much prefer a R6
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I think the wrap bridge looks cooler so would say R4.  Not many around though.
    Fishboy7 said:
    I think the wrap bridge looks cooler so would say R4.  Not many around though.
    It would have to be a special order from Thomann.
    probably go with a R6.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Coda have some R4s in stock, some lightly aged goldtops, a blacktop and a burst with a 59 neck.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Wraptail and p90s best on a LP Special for me
    Coda have some R4s in stock, some lightly aged goldtops, a blacktop and a burst with a 59 neck.
    Thanks I’ve seen those.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    I’ve got an R6. It’s superb.  Can’t recommend it highly enough. 
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 92
    R4… proper early Freddie King vibe… on my wish list but I’m lefty so… nope.
    TheMarlin said:
    I know it’s hard to describe but what’s the neck like?
  • What’s the estimated wait time they’ve quoted you?
    Only a few weeks 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339

Was that the one Ben sometimes brings with him to the guitar shows - If so, then I agree a nice 54 but I've seen some that are just mediocre and need to be upgraded to 'player grade'

I'd much prefer a R6
    It was actually one Arthur had in at Guitar Player - so a long time ago. It was £850, IIRC.
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    R4s look better to my eye. Just a cleaner aesthetic with the wraparound. I’ve got a ‘59 Melody Maker with a wraparound and a LP junior replica and an SG special. I’m not fussy about intonation! The junior does have an upgraded bridge - which I suppose is an option. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    What’s the estimated wait time they’ve quoted you?
    Chunky but not massive, actually very comfortable. 
    More of a U shape, but doesn’t get in the way. It doesn’t have huge shoulders, so you can get your hand around the neck with comfort. 

The P90s on it are spectacular!

it’s a Murphy’s Lab light relic.  Here it is with my ES195. The Bigsby was my addition, cos I love a Bigsby.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 511
    edited October 2023
    markj said:
    I’ve had experience of Gibsons with wraparound bridges and tune o matic and I know they’ll sound slightly different.

I always wanted wraparound goldtop but R4s were few a penny and at the time out of budget. A few years back Guitarguitar were knocking out Goldtop classics, with a TOM, at rock bottom pieces so I grabbed one. 

I then had @FelineGuitars install a wraparound bridge and plug the holes.

I then had to wait for a while for the plug holes to settle and then sent the goldtop off to @lamf68 for a relic refin, fretboard darkening and some blade work on the headstock.

This cost me less than an aged R4 would have done. Rich has got the proper crescent bronze colour bang on, dark board, great relicing and the wraparound bridge looks better and plays better (for me) At a little over 8lbs it’s the perfect weight too.
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    TDubs said:
    markj said:

I always wanted wraparound goldtop but R4s were few a penny and at the time out of budget. A few years back Guitarguitar were knocking out Goldtop classics, with a TOM, at rock bottom pieces so I grabbed one. 

I then had @FelineGuitars install a wraparound bridge and plug the holes.

I then had to wait for a while for the plug holes to settle and then sent the goldtop off to @lamf68 for a relic refin, fretboard darkening and some blade work on the headstock.

This cost me less than an aged R4 would have done. Rich has got the proper crescent bronze colour bang on, dark board, great relicing and the wraparound bridge looks better and plays better (for me) At a little over 8lbs it’s the perfect weight too.
    A beauty.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I like the look of 54 gold tops but my chosen strings (Elixirs) exit the back of the bridge so that the plain string wraps end at the worst place for breakages and spiky discomfort.

I have to thread spare ballends over the strings before fitting them, which is not the end of the world but I have to make sure I have a few spares in the case. 

Just something to consider which may not affect or matter to you. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I’m not a fan of Gibsons, far too few of the ones I’ve played have made me smile or want them. A Murphy Lab R6 is also the nicest guitar I’ve ever played. Wonderful in every single way and a huuuuuge but sublimely payable neck. 

Not particularly useful but there it is. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    p90fool said:
    I like the look of 54 gold tops but my chosen strings (Elixirs) exit the back of the bridge so that the plain string wraps end at the worst place for breakages and spiky discomfort.

I have to thread spare ballends over the strings before fitting them, which is not the end of the world but I have to make sure I have a few spares in the case. 

Just something to consider which may not affect or matter to you. 
    I stick with Gibson branded strings for that reason, even daddario (who apparently make Gibson strings) suffer the same problem with the doubled up end being too long. Extra ball end spacers looks too wrong for me
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

R4 for me.

Incredibly responsive under the fingers. It just feels fully connected like one whole thing. And the P90s with the '50s wiring they've used makes it bright and twangy if you want it but stick some dirt on it and it's a monster.

Here's mine

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markj said:
    TheMarlin said:
    I know it’s hard to describe but what’s the neck like?
    I recently had a 2019 one which had a 59 carve neck, so theres many versions out there. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    I love the look of R4s but I don't like the tone - it's something about that wraparound on a maple top.

Don't discount a '68 reissue - basically an R6 with a slimmer neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

It's worth saying that some with the R4 find they have to replace the wraparound bridge for a compensated one. for what I do, I've found the standard one to be surprisingly accurate (though I can't figure out why) so haven't needed to, despite having a Mojoaxe one on hand to do so.