Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). We've had relic guitars, how about relic cars? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

We've had relic guitars, how about relic cars?

What's Hot

Bought a mini last year as a bit of a project car, not the actual one in the photo, but pretty much identical. Mechanically good, but ropey paintwork. Deciding a full respray was not economically viable, I decided to have a go myself. Watched a few vids on YouTube on on how to use coach enamel, and being a bit of a fan of the Rat Rod movement set upon it with a paintbrush. The rust is a type of paint that actually rusts for real. Hand painted the stripes and wheels to finish off. Now I realise most people will hate it, but at least I don't have to worry about keeping it clean or scratching it  =)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
4reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Lancia were doing this sought of thing straight out of the factory back in the 1970s :-)

Are you not concerned that your car looks like it's been pelted with excrement?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Strangely I like this on cars. The more incongruous the better. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Not seen it on a 'newish' car - But common on many 'barn find restorations' whereby they put a new clear coat over an original 'aged finish' - More common in the USA - See it quite a bit on car show restoration programmes 

See less of it now but I hate that 'satin/matt' finish on many expensive cars - Looks common on 'footballers' cars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 758
    Love that, well done. Suits the car - not being sarky, think the shape/ design of the car really works well with it.

I drive a 25 year old Alfa so I know these finishes well.......

H

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    Not a fan, sorry! However, seeing a Garfield-with-suckers on the window brought a smile to my face as I forgot they even existed. At one point in time everyone seemed to have one! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I do like this finish, but mostly on old American cars. It looks a bit weird on a Mini.

That said you've done a good job and if you enjoy it that's all that matters.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1726
    That made me laugh, in a good way. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    Nice man, looks cool. I also like the rat rodded look. 

Have you got spacers on the wheels? My mums got a mini, more recent year but I can't remember the wheels looking as wide.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    skunkwerx said:
    Nice man, looks cool. I also like the rat rodded look. 

Have you got spacers on the wheels? My mums got a mini, more recent year but I can't remember the wheels looking as wide.

Thanks mate. Yeah, it's got 15mm spacers all round. The tyres are only 195's instead of the usual 205's on the seventeen inch wheels, so the spacers widen the stance a little. The only other thing that I wasn't keen on was the rige hight so it's getting lowered by 30mm at the weekend. Should make it a bit more fun to drive too  :)

• rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    I've got an old van for sale like that.

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I really like it but for heaven's sake sort the mirrors ........they look all kinds of wrong
    maybe matt black ? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Relic cars have been around for an age, my son knows someone who has this wicked monster Beetle, it's rusty all over and looks so cool.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Rust Wraps have been around for a while

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    ^ That reminds me of the The Worst Toilet in Scotland from Trainspotting :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dominic said:
    I really like it but for heaven's sake sort the mirrors ........they look all kinds of wrong
    maybe matt black ? 

I quite like them as they are @Dominic but I did think about Matt black. I might give them a spray at the weekend and see if I prefer them black.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I prefer something more extreme:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Dominic said:
    maybe matt black ? 

I quite like them as they are @Dominic but I did think about Matt black. I might give them a spray at the weekend and see if I prefer them black.

Proper rattle can job tho'
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Patina hot rods have been on the go for a while now. If you can get the right mixture of colours/layers then it can look very cool.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited October 2023
    If you're going to relic a car, at least do it properly, here's a a simple instructional video on how to do it properly at home for next to no cost:

Patina hot rods have been on the go for a while now. If you can get the right mixture of colours/layers then it can look very cool.

It's my aim, once my mortgage is paid off, to get an old school hot rod, preferably a 32 Ford like this one.

I've been watching the racing that the Vintage Hot Rod Association do at Pendine Sands as I've loved that era of hot rods since being a kid. Used to buy all the magazines and dream of owning one one day. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited October 2023
    It works better on a car than it does on a guitar. 

(Which to be fair isn't saying a lot.)

PS: I can (and do) achieve much the same result by simply not washing it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    If you're going to relic a car, at least do it properly, here's a a simple instructional video on how to do it properly at home for next to no cost:

I have always thought that was one of the best ads of all time
  • Dominic said:

I have always thought that was one of the best ads of all time

Same, it's one of my all time favourites, yes I have a list of adverts that I think are brilliant.
    Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    maybe matt black ? 

I've looked at it in detail .........I actually love your paint job ......looks super-cool but I think it would look even better if you changed all the chrome trims,handles etc to black
  • I think it's a really good look on classic American muscle cars.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656

It's my aim, once my mortgage is paid off, to get an old school hot rod, preferably a 32 Ford like this one.

I've been watching the racing that the Vintage Hot Rod Association do at Pendine Sands as I've loved that era of hot rods since being a kid. Used to buy all the magazines and dream of owning one one day. 

Ahhhh ..... that looks amazing! I would love that, but I'd worry too much about it being nicked.
    They wouldn't get far ......it doesn't exactly blend in with the traffic
    Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    maybe matt black ? 

I've looked at it in detail .........I actually love your paint job ......looks super-cool but I think it would look even better if you changed all the chrome trims,handles etc to black

Thanks for the compliment mate. I actually quite like the contrast of the scabby paint and the bling. Plus the price of the blacked out parts is ridiculous and my aim was to keep things as cheap as possible. 

Yeah,I bet they are a small fortune unless you mask and do them yourself in -situ
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:

Ahhhh ..... that looks amazing! I would love that, but I'd worry too much about it being nicked.
    I use to like watching Gas Monkey Garage, especially when Kaufman was part of the crew and loved such projects - And their ability to rebuild total wrecks etc