Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Physical Media... like tears in rain? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Physical Media... like tears in rain?

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Would you say you are a hoarder ? Guitars, DVD's , Mags under the bed !. Maybe you should look at the ratings of each film , Bladerunner and Jaws 8/10 Keep , Debbie Does Dallas (Special 4k extra 40 minutes Edition) 6/10 rip and sell :)(:
    Mrs Ed sometimes thinks I'm a hoarder I think...  I'm a long way from the "extreme hoarders" yet though..

I'm going to curate the collection down to the favourites and go from there, only way to proceed.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Would you say you are a hoarder ? Guitars, DVD's , Mags under the bed !. Maybe you should look at the ratings of each film , Bladerunner and Jaws 8/10 Keep , Debbie Does Dallas (Special 4k extra 40 minutes Edition) 6/10 rip and sell :)(:
    Mrs Ed sometimes thinks I'm a hoarder I think...  I'm a long way from the "extreme hoarders" yet though..

I'm going to curate the collection down to the favourites and go from there, only way to proceed.
    My wife said to me "If you dont use it within a year then get rid"

**** My mail order bride arrived last week, she is blind and deaf , perfect woman 

*** No offence to any Mail Order Brides... This is only taken as a banter
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

*** No offence to any Mail Order Brides... This is only taken as a banter
    It's been a while since I've noted a female member of the forum, you are probably fine.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    One thing I did realise many years ago, after a genuine attempt to do so led to me owning about 2000 CDs, is that you simply can't "own" all the music you like, it's simply impossible.
    I have about 2000 CDs... but I've moved the goalposts to "music I wouldn't want to be without" rather than "music I like". CDs which I don't dislike or even quite like, but wouldn't ever choose to listen to on purpose, get cleared out. It's a constantly evolving collection rather than simply growing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    One thing I did realise many years ago, after a genuine attempt to do so led to me owning about 2000 CDs, is that you simply can't "own" all the music you like, it's simply impossible.
    I have about 2000 CDs... but I've moved the goalposts to "music I wouldn't want to be without" rather than "music I like". CDs which I don't dislike or even quite like, but wouldn't ever choose to listen to on purpose, get cleared out. It's a constantly evolving collection rather than simply growing.
    How do you listen to all of them? Are they in order of Band?
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Philly_Q said:
    Remember when you could still buy the original edits of Star Wars before Lucas lost his damn mind? 
    Was that the laserdiscs?
    I’ve got a Carly Simon Laser Disc I did have Hell Freezes over too but stupidly sold it for some reason 
  • Would you say you are a hoarder ? Guitars, DVD's , Mags under the bed !. Maybe you should look at the ratings of each film , Bladerunner and Jaws 8/10 Keep , Debbie Does Dallas (Special 4k extra 40 minutes Edition) 6/10 rip and sell :)(:

I always think of hoarders keeping carrier bags full of tat . The stuff we have is actual collections 
    I do like nice Tins though , but they are quite valuable now 
    guitartango said:

How do you listen to all of them? Are they in order of Band?
    I rarely listen to the physical CDs - I have them all ripped to my iTunes library - but they're there in case I do want to, or I ever acquire a large enough hard drive to re-rip them at better quality, if I ever feel it's worth it.

They are stored on a bookcase in alphabetical order by artist though, yes - it's a bit OCD but I'd never be able to find anything otherwise, particularly since they're two rows deep :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Would you say you are a hoarder ? Guitars, DVD's , Mags under the bed !. Maybe you should look at the ratings of each film , Bladerunner and Jaws 8/10 Keep , Debbie Does Dallas (Special 4k extra 40 minutes Edition) 6/10 rip and sell :)(:

Hello, did somebody call...?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:

I mean like this though - 

Thing of it is... there is a lot of truth in what @hollywoodrox said...

Most of us on here own lots of guitar gear because we play guitar... so we use it and although we don't need all of it, we aren't just piling up shit.

Physical media... given how easy that CDs are ripped and that the idea you need to keep the piece of plastic to maintain your license for the media simply isn't true, (any kind of ripping is technically illegal, bizarrely, that law never changed) it's probably daft to keep them, but it doesn't HURT does it?

But movies, there is no "spotify for films" - so I'd say as a film and music lover - it isn't hoarding, it's keeping something you may never use because you are scared of losing access to it.

So it really isn't hoarding on any level, as we still have the distinction between useful and crap, and if you aren't married and don't need to keep a wife happy, it's totally harmless... right?
  • My wife is a patchwork and quilting fanatic.
    It doesn't matter how many books, cds, dvds I have, it'll never exceed her fabric stash...
  • Thing of it is... there is a lot of truth in what @hollywoodrox said...

Most of us on here own lots of guitar gear because we play guitar... so we use it and although we don't need all of it, we aren't just piling up shit.

Physical media... given how easy that CDs are ripped and that the idea you need to keep the piece of plastic to maintain your license for the media simply isn't true, (any kind of ripping is technically illegal, bizarrely, that law never changed) it's probably daft to keep them, but it doesn't HURT does it?

But movies, there is no "spotify for films" - so I'd say as a film and music lover - it isn't hoarding, it's keeping something you may never use because you are scared of losing access to it.

So it really isn't hoarding on any level, as we still have the distinction between useful and crap, and if you aren't married and don't need to keep a wife happy, it's totally harmless... right?
    But - that’s what Netflix, Mubi, Prime, Disney, Apple TV, paramount + all aspire to be. Anyway, the streaming quality isn’t as good as a physical 4k disc. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    I've got wall cupboard full of DVDs. I play them on my old (2008) Phillips 720p 32 inch TV through a cheap DVD player that upscales them. They look great when played. I've never felt the need to geat a bigger TV, honestly I can't see the point. I might pick up a 1080p 32" TV when my current one craps out. 
    I find these large modern 4k screens seem to swamp the room of an average size house (like mine).
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    A few years ago (actually, about 30 years ago), I had some cupboards made.

Nice enough pieces of furniture.

Quite functional too ...

Each drawer holds 120 CDs (standard jewel cases).  3 cupboards = ~2500 CDs.  (Box sets obviously don't fit, so they live elsewhere).

Neat and tidy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    I've completely backed away from streaming music. I much prefer the fun of going through boxes and rediscovering my CDs. Moreover, they sound better and I'll listen to them in their entirety. 

DVDs/blu ray....less bothered. Am about to purge the Hollywood blockbusters and just keep the music, art house etc stuff. Probably in a binder to save space. 

But - that’s what Netflix, Mubi, Prime, Disney, Apple TV, paramount + all aspire to be. Anyway, the streaming quality isn’t as good as a physical 4k disc. 
    They might all aspire to be it, but streaming's current identity crisis means they are farther from it than ever.

Thing of it is, Netflix got huge because they had an enormous library of content presented beautifully and it was dirt cheap, in fact I got about a years worth of it free in the early days with vouchers etc.

Now, the library is smaller, of lower quality as they will commission any old shit, and it's bluddy expensive as well.

The other services are the same - Disney is so desperate to save money they are putting out premium Star Wars shows of variable quality, a bit of Marvel stuff, and really that's it - we are lucky over here we get all the Fox stuff that in the US you need a different sub for.

The indie movie channels are getting really good, and Arrow, StudioCanal etc have their own prime channels... but what they really need to be is one "movie buffs" service - maybe a few will get together and do that.  I think then when the Blu Ray restorations are all in one place, even enthusiasts will be happier when you can have the Wicker Man in a little Window while you are working.
  • Thing of it is... there is a lot of truth in what @hollywoodrox said...

They might all aspire to be it, but streaming's current identity crisis means they are farther from it than ever.

Thing of it is, Netflix got huge because they had an enormous library of content presented beautifully and it was dirt cheap, in fact I got about a years worth of it free in the early days with vouchers etc.

Now, the library is smaller, of lower quality as they will commission any old shit, and it's bluddy expensive as well.

The other services are the same - Disney is so desperate to save money they are putting out premium Star Wars shows of variable quality, a bit of Marvel stuff, and really that's it - we are lucky over here we get all the Fox stuff that in the US you need a different sub for.

The indie movie channels are getting really good, and Arrow, StudioCanal etc have their own prime channels... but what they really need to be is one "movie buffs" service - maybe a few will get together and do that.  I think then when the Blu Ray restorations are all in one place, even enthusiasts will be happier when you can have the Wicker Man in a little Window while you are working.
    The wicker man! In a LITTLE WINDOW?

We can not be friends. 

:)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

The wicker man! In a LITTLE WINDOW?

We can not be friends. 

:)

It's admittedly quite hard to concentrate when you get to naked Britt Ekland banging on the wall! :lol:
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295

The way I see it is I'd rather pay for something I know I'm going to watch or listen to (physical media) rather that paying for a service with an overwhelming amount of things I will never watch or listen to (streaming).

Owning physical media as you say isn't harming anyone, and you'll always have access to it in the way it was intended. Streaming may be convenient but for the most part it's sinking money into a lot of what will never be used IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:

I mean like this though - 

Yeah, I'm not quite there yet.  Maybe in 10 years time... although hopefully I won't have turned into an old lady with a house full of stuff which could have easily gone in the recycling bin...
    TTony said:
    A few years ago (actually, about 30 years ago), I had some cupboards made.

Nice enough pieces of furniture.

Quite functional too ...

Each drawer holds 120 CDs (standard jewel cases).  3 cupboards = ~2500 CDs.  (Box sets obviously don't fit, so they live elsewhere).

Neat and tidy.
    Nothing as impressive as that, but about 20, maybe 25, years ago I spent several months (weekends) building floor to ceiling shelving in my hallway, all from narrow-width timber so it wouldn't intrude too much into the floorspace.

At the time it was enough to house all my CDs (all nicely sorted A to Z) and standard-size paperback books.  But I'd only just started buying these new things called DVDs...  and the CD collection has more than doubled since then.
    It's a nice idea, but I don't think we'll ever have a "Spotify for films", it would involve too much collaboration and potentially lost income for the movie studios.

It's already very confusing, there are already films which seem to be on two or three different streaming services at the same time - sometimes different versions of the same film.  And none of them tell you which version it is, where and when it was restored etc.

I'll gloss over your comment about The Wicker Man in a "little window" - sicko - but taking that as an example, you can find it on streaming channels, but will anyone ever show all three versions of the film, in 4K, as presented in the just-released 50th anniversary box set?  I think not.

There was a period where ripping for your own use was legal and so that did make sense - the law was then changed *back* to making it illegal, bizarrely. It's possible the law will change again though. Anyway, I do still feel it's a lot more legitimate to own a physical copy than just have a rip.

That's only part of the reason I keep - and continue to buy - mine though... there are three main ones, I want the ability to listen to the actual CD sometimes (it does sound better), to retain the ability to re-rip at higher quality if my hard drive size allows it in the future, and in particular because you very often get a lot of artwork and information in the CD booklet.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    ICBM said:
    That's only part of the reason I keep - and continue to buy - mine though... there are three main ones, I want the ability to listen to the actual CD sometimes (it does sound better), to retain the ability to re-rip at higher quality if my hard drive size allows it in the future, and in particular because you very often get a lot of artwork and information in the CD booklet.
    Plus, for me, when streaming really started, my internet connection was poor, and home Wi-Fi coverage wasn’t much better - I couldn’t rely on those services.

Now I choose not to rely on them, realising that they can remove content and increase prices whenever.  I’d rather pay once and have the control rather than pay month after month and never have the control.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    TTony said:
    ICBM said:
    Plus, for me, when streaming really started, my internet connection was poor, and home Wi-Fi coverage wasn’t much better - I couldn’t rely on those services.

Now I choose not to rely on them, realising that they can remove content and increase prices whenever.  I’d rather pay once and have the control rather than pay month after month and never have the control.
    Precisely that!
    Philly_Q said:

I'll gloss over your comment about The Wicker Man in a "little window" - sicko - but taking that as an example, you can find it on streaming channels, but will anyone ever show all three versions of the film, in 4K, as presented in the just-released 50th anniversary box set?  I think not.
    Well there is definitely a market for it, and physical media probably does have a shelf-life - so I'd bet someone will do it at some point.

I'd love to see a resurgence of small independent cinemas to support it as well - I went to see Death on the Nile (Ustinov, obvs) at a nice one on the end of the theatre in Northampton with my brother, was part of a season they had on.
    ICBM said:

There was a period where ripping for your own use was legal and so that did make sense - the law was then changed *back* to making it illegal, bizarrely. It's possible the law will change again though. Anyway, I do still feel it's a lot more legitimate to own a physical copy than just have a rip.
    Oh yes - I recall - the record companies challenged it in court, removing any last lingering respect for copyright law!
    edited October 2023
    I'd love to see a resurgence of small independent cinemas to support it as well - I went to see Death on the Nile (Ustinov, obvs) at a nice one on the end of the theatre in Northampton with my brother, was part of a season they had on.
    I would imagine it's quite difficult to make a success of a small independent cinema, as a business.  It can't be easy to establish relationships with the distributors, etc in order to compete with the big chains.  Successful independents often seem to run in tandem with a bar or restaurant, and some offer food and drink served to the cinema seats - which is fine so long as it's a civilised atmosphere.

Oh yes - I recall - the record companies challenged it in court, removing any last lingering respect for copyright law!
    It’s one of the most stupid legal decisions ever, because it effectively makes full illegality (downloading without ever having owned an original) equal to ‘technical’ illegality (ripping when you do own the CD) and hence removes any lingering incentive to buy the physical product, at least for that reason… since neither will ever be prosecuted under normal circumstances.