Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm calling bull**** on this! - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm calling bull**** on this!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    As I recall from an article years ago (so my apologies for anything I've misremembered), Ken's aim was to replicate medieval lutes, which typically had a veneer of ebony over a softer wood core. Most of the strength is in the carbon, the wood is almost a mould/former for the CF. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Sporky said:
    The US ones were a carbon veneer/skin over wood - possibly poplar but I'm not certain of that. They did have a truss rod, adjustment was on the underside of the headstock I think. 

My US Parker Southern Nitefly has a one-piece maple neck with carbon-glass-epoxy reinforcement skin around it.  It also has a truss rod with spoke-wheel adjustment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited October 2023
    Sorry! I meant non-Nitefly, but said US. My Nitefly M had the same adjustment as your Southern.

I've edited my post to clarify - ta. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited October 2023
    Necks without truss rods are not the same as necks without reinforcement.     There are plenty of good examples necks without truss rods that function fine because another method of reinforcement is used

The point here is those early Fenders had no reinforcement at all - just one slab of maple, and a lot of hope. 

It's a bad idea, although I imagine it does sound good for the short life of reliability. 

The Fender CS's done like this are collectors pieces, not reliable instruments.

Rick Kelly from Carmine Street Guitars does do truss rod/reinforcement free necks... but apparently they are massive to account for that, and often still have issues.  His apprentice Cindy often does use a truss rod.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter