Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I'm calling bull**** on this! - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I'm calling bull**** on this!

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
OK, so maybe I'm wrong, feel free to put me in my place if so, but I was just looking at a pretty expensive  custom built guitar on FleaBay and apparently it has no truss rod. Personally I don't think I'd want a guitar with no truss rod. Anyway, the bit that sounded daft to me was this:

This was built to replicate the early fenders that have no truss rod, [factual, so OK]   .... which is thought to allow the string vibrations to ‘connect’ and resonate more freely through the wood, into the body. Which in turn affects the tone in the pickups. [er .... yeah ... right...]

I would presume that if it was a 'good' idea we would see a lot more guitars without truss rods. As it is surely you just have a guitar that can't be set up optimally?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited October 2023
    Probably.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    Sounds like the drifts of male bovine excrement have piled deep with this'un :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    That's someone who really doesn't think no truss rod is a good idea but is trying to come up with ways to sell it beyond being vintage accurate.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I believe Vigier don't (didn't?) use a truss rod but they do (did?) have carbon fibre stiffening strips in the necks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1261
    True the first fender broadcasters had no truss rod, realised it was a bad idea then installed them in every guitar since
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Well I'm convinced and as such am commencing to remove all truce rods from my guitars. I need that connecty strings vibe in my life!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Yeah, unless its a multi laminate of CF neck (a pinecaster wont be) it's total bullshit.

I really wish I could LOL ebay ads
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Not something I'd be the slightest bit interested in but it jogged a memory and a bit of searching brought up this: 

Fender custom shop 1950 pine Esquire.

Its one-piece rift-sawn maple neck has a 1950 Esquire profile, no truss rod, a 7.25"-9.5" vintage compound radius and 21 medium vintage frets.

https://www.fendercustomshop.com/series/vintage-custom/vintage-custom-1950-pine-esquire-maple-fingerboard-aged-black/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    All very well till you have to adjust the neck relief.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    I think I remember reading that some of the early Status basses had no truss rods, but they had super stiff graphite necks so maybe didn't need them.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    My Kramer has no truss rod. Then again it's made from aluminium.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Martin acoustics had no truss rods until 1985, and some purists/snobs think it's one of the reasons 'the old ones sound better". Which they may or may not...

However, the idea that neck resonance can affect the tone of an electric guitar - more importantly than the body and yes, even via the pickups - is not bullshit at all.

I'm sceptical of any claim that string vibrations 'connect', 'transfer' or whatever and thus 'improve' the sound, though - the most you can say is that it might sound *different*.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Waterloo K acoustic I have is sans truss rod,  only thing it does is to give me another thing to worry about.  Oh well.  Sounds ace though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    ICBM said:
    Martin acoustics had no truss rods until 1985, and some purists/snobs think it's one of the reasons 'the old ones sound better". Which they may or may not...
    Actually they didn't have adjustable truss rods before 1985 but I reckon you knew that. I think you have to go back to the pre-war Martin guitars to find ones without a truss rod at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Status basses originally didn't have a truss rod, but after a decade or 2 customers complained that the necks were completely rigid so they changed the design to weaken the necks and make them flexible and put a rod in.
  • Don't those pancake-looking headless guitars (can't remember the name, maybe Klein?) have no truss rod?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

idiotwindow said:

Actually they didn't have adjustable truss rods before 1985 but I reckon you knew that. I think you have to go back to the pre-war Martin guitars to find ones without a truss rod at all.
    Technically, not a truss rod - it's a reinforcement bar. A truss rod is tensioned.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited October 2023 tFB Trader
    axisus said:

This was built to replicate the early fenders that have no truss rod, [factual, so OK]  
      http://www.guitarhq.com/fender2.html#sch"Approximately sixty 1950 Esquires were shipped, though Fender had orders for hundreds at the time. And many early examples with no truss rod were returned to Fender for neck and/or body replacements. The reason? Without a truss rod many necks warped (or the owners thought they would warp in the future). "
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2969
    Doesn’t Rick Kelly build Telecasters without truss rods ?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited October 2023
    Most of the early Klein headless guitars were built without a truss rod.
    Some are fine.
    Some *really* aren't.

On 'Which is thought to allow the string vibrations to ‘connect’ and resonate more freely through the wood, into the body.'

Many more things will make a more material difference to the tone of a guitar.

What does 'resonate more freely' even mean?
    I'd like him to explain this, in scientific terms.

Does it mean that the system moves more freely because of a lack of truss rod?
    If so, how does it manage to do that at all frequencies?
    All you do by adding or removing a truss rod is slightly changing the resonant frequency and Young's Modulus of the system.
    I will explain.

A lot of guitarists misunderstand what resonance is.
    It is used as a catch all term meaning some variation on 'good' but resonance is a specific attribute of an object or system.
    The key here is 'a system'.
    A guitar is not a single object.
    It is the sum of many parts, acting together as a system.

Resonance is simply a quality or phenomenon that happens when a system will absorb the energy of an externally applied force that is at the 'natural frequency' (or eigenfrequency) of the object or system.

How does this quality refer to 'better tone'?
    Answer: It doesn't.

Is he talking about the Young's Modulus of the system- the measurement of elasticity or axial compression of an object or system?

You can calculate the Young's Modulus of a guitar if you want.

The formula for this is E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's Modulus.
    σ = F/A , or F (Tensile strength) over A (cross sectional area).
    ε = (l - L0)/L0. ε is the relative change of length.

A low Young's Modulus means that less force is needed to create strain on the system compared to a higher YM (where more force is needed).

Broadly speaking (in acoustic guitars) a low Young's Modulus is better than a higher one, provided structural integrity is maintained.
    The system moves more freely, the guitar is louder and deeper sounding.
    As a broad description, stiff things sound bright and decay quickly, loose things are lower in pitch and decay more slowly.

You can lower a YM by a number of methods.
    The classic one is to shave small amounts of the soundboard away in specific places.
    But you could also make the bracing lighter.

OK, so what is the ideal Young's Modulus for a guitar?

Answer: There isn't one.

In an electric guitar, it is a slab of wood that is way, way, way more stiff than the sound box of an acoustic guitar.
    You know that because it is much quieter and much brighter.

Doing away with a truss rod in an electric guitar, even if it made a difference to tone, could be mitigated by making the body a bit thinner.

And once you feed it into an amp with EQ and effects pedals, and more importantly, the big fucking filter that is the guitar speaker it makes no real difference.

In my opinion it is total magical thinking bullshit that poisons guitar culture.
    Similar ideas (broad, fuzzy descriptions of what constitutes 'tone') allow certain makers and corporations to exploit scientifically illiterate customers who buy into it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    ICBM said:
    idiotwindow said:

Technically, not a truss rod - it's a reinforcement bar. A truss rod is tensioned.
    Isn't a reinforcement bar (aka non-adjustable truss rod) under tension as soon as the strings are tightened?
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    octatonic said:
    Most of the early Klein headless guitars were built without a truss rod.
    Some are fine.
    Some *really* aren't.

On 'Which is thought to allow the string vibrations to ‘connect’ and resonate more freely through the wood, into the body.'

Many more things will make a more material difference to the tone of a guitar.

What does 'resonate more freely' even mean?
    I'd like him to explain this, in scientific terms.

Does it mean that the system moves more freely because of a lack of truss rod?
    If so, how does it manage to do that at all frequencies?
    All you do by adding or removing a truss rod is slightly changing the resonant frequency and Young's Modulus of the system.
    I will explain.

A lot of guitarists misunderstand what resonance is.
    It is used as a catch all term meaning some variation on 'good' but resonance is a specific attribute of an object or system.
    The key here is 'a system'.
    A guitar is not a single object.
    It is the sum of many parts, acting together as a system.

Resonance is simply a quality or phenomenon that happens when a system will absorb the energy of an externally applied force that is at the 'natural frequency' (or eigenfrequency) of the object or system.

How does this quality refer to 'better tone'?
    Answer: It doesn't.

Is he talking about the Young's Modulus of the system- the measurement of elasticity or axial compression of an object or system?

You can calculate the Young's Modulus of a guitar if you want.

The formula for this is E = σ/ε, where E is the Young's Modulus.
    σ = F/A , or F (Tensile strength) over A (cross sectional area).
    ε = (l - L0)/L0. ε is the relative change of length.

A low Young's Modulus means that less force is needed to create strain on the system compared to a higher YM (where more force is needed).

Broadly speaking (in acoustic guitars) a low Young's Modulus is better than a higher one, provided structural integrity is maintained.
    The system moves more freely, the guitar is louder and deeper sounding.
    As a broad description, stiff things sound bright and decay quickly, loose things are lower in pitch and decay more slowly.

You can lower a YM by a number of methods.
    The classic one is to shave small amounts of the soundboard away in specific places.
    But you could also make the bracing lighter.

OK, so what is the ideal Young's Modulus for a guitar?

Answer: There isn't one.

In an electric guitar, it is a slab of wood that is way, way, way more stiff than the sound box of an acoustic guitar.
    You know that because it is much quieter and much brighter.

Doing away with a truss rod in an electric guitar, even if it made a difference to tone, could be mitigated by making the body a bit thinner.

And once you feed it into an amp with EQ and effects pedals, and more importantly, the big fucking filter that is the guitar speaker it makes no real difference.

In my opinion it is total magical thinking bullshit that poisons guitar culture.
    Similar ideas (broad, fuzzy descriptions of what constitutes 'tone') allow certain makers and corporations to exploit scientifically illiterate customers who buy into it. 

I think he, or she, is talking out of their arse.

I can't imagine that they considered Young's modulus or any other scientific principle.

It's the worst kind of advertising bullshit because some poor soul might believe it and be stuck with an overpriced sub-par neck'd guitar.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Isn't a reinforcement bar (aka non-adjustable truss rod) under tension as soon as the strings are tightened?
    From the teeny bit of structural engineering I did, I would expect it to be in compression on the fingerboard side, and in tension on the opposite side. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I'd call 'bull' on this as well @axisus ;;.  What a load of old bollocks.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    My Status Graphite doesn't have a truss-rod.
    idiotwindow said:

No, not in the same way. (As Sporky said it will be in compression on the side nearest the fingerboard and in tension on the side at the back of the neck.) A reinforcement bar is not a non-adjustable truss rod - a truss rod is a tensioned, curved rod which exerts a bending force on the neck, independently of the string tension - it works because it's curved and the tension on it makes it try to straighten, hence bending the neck back along with it. A reinforcement bar simply stiffens the neck and tries to prevent it bending at all.

• TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Martin Authentics  - just this side of £8,000 a pop - don't have truss rods. 

Are they better? I've never played one so I can't be sure, but I'm happy to call "bullshit" pending further information. Oh, I'm sure they sound pretty good - Martin know how to make a nice guitar - but £8,000 worth of good? Not a chance.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    I heard Parkers didnt have truss rods. But I heard that on a forum once. 

Read it I mean. 

I know the Eastern ones do, does anyone know if any truth to it? I know some American ones had carbon fibre necks and glued on frets but not sure if thats true for all the American ones?
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited October 2023
    The US non-Nitefly ones were a carbon veneer/skin over wood - possibly poplar but I'm not certain of that. They did have a truss rod, adjustment was on the underside of the headstock I think. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    The US ones were a carbon veneer/skin over wood - possibly poplar but I'm not certain of that. They did have a truss rod, adjustment was on the underside of the headstock I think. 
    Yes, in the headstock cutaway which stops them hanging on a hanger. The rod is off-centre in the neck.

The wood does look like something like poplar.

http://www.maribyredivivus.it/portfolio/electric-guitar-parker-fly/