Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rig for covers set - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rig for covers set

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

Guitars I’ll work out but of course I just got an email from the music shop next to our studio, and a tiny bit of of me is jumping up and down wanting to buy this ridiculous thing….
    Do it. I once went into a shop to buy a sunburst Squier Jagmaster and left with a pink PRS Custom 22 :).

It changed my outlook on guitars from thinking most about the sound and the image, to thinking most about the music and my playing, and not about what’s ‘cool’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Hey i'm not averse to pink guitars! It's only an SE but I gotta try it... 

Sadly I'm not sure the pink Tele is quite right guitar for the gig, but we'll see where we settle on the setlist. If I'd switching guitars it could work really well for the lighter material
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802

Guitars I’ll work out but of course I just got an email from the music shop next to our studio, and a tiny bit of of me is jumping up and down wanting to buy this ridiculous thing….

I'm not sure that's quite the vibe you're after... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Sporky said:

I'm not sure that's quite the vibe you're after... 
    It might me. Its not barbie pink more like a cooked fiesta red.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Eb the whole lot (correct for Brightside) and use a Drop pedal or similar to get that extra semitone for Beat It and LOAP. 

Use the Strat for all. Use the Bad Cat. 
    edited October 2023
    So yesterday was good. Took the Tele, CS-336 and Tonemaster (because I was late and the bad cat is heavy and I live on the 42nd floor...). I had far too many gain stages but that let me try a bunch of stuff and see what worked:

Archer Klon
    Halycon Green
    Origin RD Compact
    Animals Major OD
    Page
    Deco
    plus the Ricochet for drop tunings. 

I broke a string on the Tele within 5 minutes so played the Gibson the rest of the night... 

In the room I got the Origin+Halycon sounding really good for the noisy stuff and the 336 honestly feels like an old friend at this point as I've had it 18 years now and it's my most-gigged by far. That guitar is maybe a little bit chunky sounding for the lighter material but potentially ok, and if not I'll grab a Tele or Strat for those couple of songs. I'm not sure I need the clean - a cleaner boost might be more use, and I have a full-fat Revival Drive coming that should mean I can get the blackfacey stuff out of the bad Badcat when the time comes. 

The Ricochet works really well at proper volume when you can't hear your strings, so that's that question solved at least.

Next week I'm going to take the Badcat as well as get an extra hour for me just to set up sounds and get everything really cooking at live volumes without annoying the bandmates. 

And the new last-minute bassist is ace, which is great news!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Minor update on this.

The SG via Halcyon-OriginRD-BadCat sounds monstrous at home for the Sambora/EVH bits but doesn't give any good lighter options for the first half of the set. I have a full-fat Revival out for delivery so expecting that to give me a nice big Fendery cleanish thing and then I should be set, subject to tweaks in the studio. 

I'm still leaning towards the 336 if I can make it work just because I love that old thing, but I'm definitely getting towards the right ballpark. That with a slightly less middy drive than the Green might be the ideal middle ground. 
    Ok so my house is covered in cables but I have everything I need. The TC Helicon Talkbox is NUTS and will need some practice, but it's a much easier option than a hose&mic talkbox. I just need to work out where's best to put it in the signal chain and get my fingers, feet and voice around using it properly. 

It's gonna be a massively fun gig... :D 

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 281
    edited October 2023
    You are caring about this far, far more than anyone in the audience will, which to be fair is fine! 

I do wedding/functions band stuff, everything from Prince to Beatles to ABBA to Rick Astley to Sabbath and occasionally Audioslave with a Les Paul Custom, a coil split, an amp set to breakup and Boss pedals for the entire set. Sounds great and it’s more about how you play than replicating the sounds exactly, with the best will in the world no one gives a shit! Put a coil split in your SG or 339 (ideally a partial to PRS specs) and you’re absolutely set.
    jdbwales said:
    You are caring about this far, far more than anyone in the audience will, which to be fair is fine! 

I do wedding/functions band stuff, everything from Prince to Beatles to ABBA to Rick Astley to Sabbath and occasionally Audioslave with a Les Paul Custom, a coil split, an amp set to breakup and Boss pedals for the entire set. Sounds great and it’s more about how you play than replicating the sounds exactly, with the best will in the world no one gives a shit! Put a coil split in your SG or 339 (ideally a partial to PRS specs) and you’re absolutely set.
    Haha yeah I'm well aware. But it's mostly gear I already have, so it's all good :D 

I don't disagree at all that it's mostly about what you play than the sounds, but it's also nice to throw in the odd fancy trick, right? :)

The thing is we won the bloody thing at first time of trying last year, so we all feel like we have to raise the bar a bit as a point of professional pride! I moved jobs and have a lot more free time (thankfully!) so I'm just enjoying the process because I'm actually properly playing guitar for the first time in years.