Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rig for covers set - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rig for covers set

What's Hot

Comments

• willowillo Frets: 240
    I think you can cover a lot with an SG, but where it tends to struggle is if you need to strum clean chords - it will start to drive the amp. An EQ pedal could help.

Source: I do similar gigs as you; I usually take an HSS strat but am leaning to my SG for the next one. Over my Tele. Of the two extremes - crystal clean rhythm work on the neck pickup, and blazing bridge humbucker riffs and solos - I prioritise being able to deliver the latter, and try to figure out an EQ or volume knob solution to the former.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I've played my SG at gigs for 5 years now  very versatile and comfy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Brightside is in D and they tune down on the record - any decent singer can do it in D, same for Livin on a Prayer, just do it in E or if they insist on weird keys use a Digitech drop pedal or similar.

Also, wah in place of talkbox is absolutely fine.

Honestly I think you're overthinking it - but I guess that's half the fun.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    edited October 2023
    Living on a prayer in E is ok until the key change, which  is the big majestic, get of the chairs lads tone and a half up ! ..  so now it's in Gm which is beyond most people's range in my experience. 

Almost all the bands I play in tune down a semitone. That makes everything easier to hit vocally and gives you a better starting point right from the off. For example

Brightside ... same as record if you play it in D like they do 
    Prayer .... lot easier to hit as now in Ebm 

Can someone tell me what BOTB is ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

Battle of the Bands.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Danny1969 said:

Battle of the Bands.
    Ah cheers 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2023
    Brightside is in D and they tune down on the record - any decent singer can do it in D, same for Livin on a Prayer, just do it in E or if they insist on weird keys use a Digitech drop pedal or similar.

Agreed - we're doing Brightside in E (up a semitone) which is fine. 

LOAP is a nightmare in E - even JBJ himself can't get close to those notes any more. I actually think the vocals sound fine on Beat It in standard, but the singer much prefers it down to D. Given we're already pitching one song down I don't mind moving that as well as I think they'll be next to each other in the set.

As for overthinking - you're damn right I am...! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 35
    Also I still want a talk box... 
    Accepting what others have said about not "needing" a talkbox, if you are set on having one anyway the TC Helicon Talkbox Synth is great for this. It has talkbox and vocoder modes which sound really good, and is very easy to integrate into a pedalboard setup. I use it at gigs for LOAP and get lots of positive comments about it.
    rich75 said:
    Also I still want a talk box... 
    Accepting what others have said about not "needing" a talkbox, if you are set on having one anyway the TC Helicon Talkbox Synth is great for this. It has talkbox and vocoder modes which sound really good, and is very easy to integrate into a pedalboard setup. I use it at gigs for LOAP and get lots of positive comments about it.
    Ta - that looks quite cheap so will def go watch some videos!
    Actually one question @rich75 when the TC is switched off, I assume it still lets the mic pass through so you can use the same mic for BVs? 
    Actually one question @rich75 when the TC is switched off, I assume it still lets the mic pass through so you can use the same mic for BVs? 
    Yes, that's correct. Both the guitar signal and the mic signal pass through uninterrupted when the pedal isn't engaged. When you kick in the switch (in the mode that I use) the guitar signal going to your amp remains unaffected and the talkbox effect goes out via the XLR direct to the PA (replacing your normal vocal). I can easily do talkbox and BVs on LOAP by switching the effect on and off. 

I think there is a different mode that routes the talkbox effect through the guitar output instead but I never use that.

When the effect is disengaged the vocal processing (i.e. pitch correction, reverb etc) still work.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    ICBM said:
    Snags said:

IME people are more interested in an engaging performance than an accurate one, unless you're a tribute band, and even then to some extent. Very few people really listen to a song and know it intimately.
    This. I've been banging on about it for years :).
    Why not engaging AND accurate? Doesn’t have to be 100%, but I think the more you really get to grips with the details the better the performance will be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rich75 said:
    Yes, that's correct. Both the guitar signal and the mic signal pass through uninterrupted when the pedal isn't engaged. When you kick in the switch (in the mode that I use) the guitar signal going to your amp remains unaffected and the talkbox effect goes out via the XLR direct to the PA (replacing your normal vocal). I can easily do talkbox and BVs on LOAP by switching the effect on and off. 

I think there is a different mode that routes the talkbox effect through the guitar output instead but I never use that.

When the effect is disengaged the vocal processing (i.e. pitch correction, reverb etc) still work.
    Nice - that sounds perfect. Half the price of an actual talkbox and less faff. I assume you have to sing into the mic, becuase there's no sound going in otherwise?
    26.2 said:
    ICBM said:
    Snags said:

IME people are more interested in an engaging performance than an accurate one, unless you're a tribute band, and even then to some extent. Very few people really listen to a song and know it intimately.
    Why not engaging AND accurate? Doesn’t have to be 100%, but I think the more you really get to grips with the details the better the performance will be. 
    This is generally my approach. ICBM wouldn't appreciate the notes I circulated to my lot last night...!! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    rich75 said:

Nice - that sounds perfect. Half the price of an actual talkbox and less faff. I assume you have to sing into the mic, becuase there's no sound going in otherwise?
    Correct - you need some sound going into the mic to make the effect work but the pitch is entirely controlled from the guitar.
    Great - sounds ideal
  • Brightside is in D and they tune down on the record - any decent singer can do it in D, same for Livin on a Prayer, just do it in E or if they insist on weird keys use a Digitech drop pedal or similar.

Agreed - we're doing Brightside in E (up a semitone) which is fine. 

LOAP is a nightmare in E - even JBJ himself can't get close to those notes any more. I actually think the vocals sound fine on Beat It in standard, but the singer much prefers it down to D. Given we're already pitching one song down I don't mind moving that as well as I think they'll be next to each other in the set.

As for overthinking - you're damn right I am...! 
    I don’t believe he ever hit the notes on the key change part. I’m calling studio trickery.

• Snags said:
    On guitar choice, absolutely no-one is going to give a poop apart from you, and maybe one nerd in the audience. So play the one that makes your life easiest.

That's fair comment and a helpful reminder. I have already said the same to the new guys in the band. It's so much more about delivering a good show than it is about everything being perfect

As for punters not knowing songs intimately, i'm counting on it - I can do some widdly bits for Beat It but I'm not learning to tap in 6 weeks! 
    Taps easier than the stretches 
    Snags said:
    On guitar choice, absolutely no-one is going to give a poop apart from you, and maybe one nerd in the audience. So play the one that makes your life easiest.

That's fair comment and a helpful reminder. I have already said the same to the new guys in the band. It's so much more about delivering a good show than it is about everything being perfect

As for punters not knowing songs intimately, i'm counting on it - I can do some widdly bits for Beat It but I'm not learning to tap in 6 weeks! 
    Taps easier than the stretches 
    Playing different notes entirely... priceless! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited October 2023
    I may have found you the right guitar.

Offset, as per your proclivities
    Two-point trem for widdly-widdly abuse
    Humbuckers for RAWK but with individual splits

https://reverb.com/uk/item/68204668-g-l-clf-doheny-v12-grey-pearl

There's also a really tasty purple one on Reverb... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    26.2 said:
    ICBM said:
    Snags said:

I'm not suggesting wilful inaccuracy, just that beyond a certain point, almost no-one but a small collection of obsessives who most likely aren't there will give a monkeys. Even when it comes to air guitaring the solo in Beat It; a certain strand of guitarists will go "ooooooh, no, it has to be note for note, because everyone knows that" but pound to a pinch pretty much nobody apart from those guitarists have the first clue how the solo to Beat It goes, and as long as they can join in shouting out the words they know at random, they'll be happy.

I get cheesed off because loads of people round here do Wicked Game without bothering to do the "correct" guitar parts (which really aren't difficult), or just do it on an acoustic by attacking open chords like they're beating up the person who molested their favourite child. Then they don't do the high bit, because they can't, and they fuck up the song order and totally miss the outro line. But the audience invariably laps it up because they're just happy to hear a song that brings back good memories.

So yeah, be as accurate as you can right up to the point where it's making you concentrate more on the playing than the performance, or where you're losing sleep over getting that accidental in just the right place. At which point, sacrifice accuracy for performance every time.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Not sure I understand why any ES33x has upper fret access issues - that ought to be their attraction (amongst other things)  :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    26.2 said:

I prefer 50% accurate to 95%. 95% sounds like you’re trying for 100% but not nailing it. It’s what I dislike about most covers bands.

100% is quite impressive if you can do it though…

Jalapeno said:
    Not sure I understand why any ES33x has upper fret access issues - that ought to be their attraction (amongst other things)  :/
    Have you ever played a proper ES-330? Totally different from a 335 or a long neck 330 - the neck is three frets further into the body.

I much prefer them - they’re the only ones that don’t feel like an oar attached to a toilet seat - but top-fret access is restricted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284

Jalapeno said:
    Have you ever played a proper ES-330? Totally different from a 335 or a long neck 330 - the neck is three frets further into the body.

I much prefer them - they’re the only ones that don’t feel like an oar attached to a toilet seat - but top-fret access is restricted.
    I did not know that (clearly) !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Sporky said:
    I may have found you the right guitar.

Offset, as per your proclivities
    Two-point trem for widdly-widdly abuse
    Humbuckers for RAWK but with individual splits

https://reverb.com/uk/item/68204668-g-l-clf-doheny-v12-grey-pearl

There's also a really tasty purple one on Reverb... 
    I'm well set for offsets tbh. Though I'll admit I'm keen to use one for the first half of the set if sounds allow, simply because they're pretty :D 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Yeah, but OMG PURPLE.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I'm not sure that's quite the vibe we're after, but it is definitely unmistakably purple...! :D 
    Anyhoo, currently thinking is a new wireless unit that lets me plug one guitar in via lead then have another for going walkies. TC Helicon Talkbox for the silly mouthy bits and quite likely my little Major Overdrive for Marshall-flavoured duty, cos it sounds brilliant with a TS in front.

Jury's still out on guitar selection. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    FWIW I did an acoustic gig recently where I had the second/backup (actually my best) guitar in an alternate tuning for two songs, to save sodding around time. Just used a cheap Boss AB pedal and had them both plugged into that, then from there to the pedalboard. Worked a treat, and no need to juggle any leads, bugs or anything else.
    Right, so I have a TC Helicon talk box synth on the way, which is the further I want to go in terms of complexity. And I’ve got a couple of good options for the Marshally sounds, which is ace. 

Guitars I’ll work out but of course I just got an email from the music shop next to our studio, and a tiny bit of of me is jumping up and down wanting to buy this ridiculous thing….