Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). From like to dislike in 6 hours. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

From like to dislike in 6 hours.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Well it looks OK to me aside from the fake wear.  If it plays OK, why not get a refin?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Offset said:
    Well it looks OK to me aside from the fake wear.  If it plays OK, why not get a refin?
    I'd give it a buff first; a road worn will be nitro and might come up lovely.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NCo said:
    Fiesta Red is best with rosewood and a mint green scratchplate, IMO.

I agree, bought it to change the cosmetics, but apparently there are way too many shades of fiesta, and this one is meh.
    I had a Fiesta Red Jaguar with a white guard - it looked salmon pink. A mint green guard was a small improvement. Then I put a dark brown tort guard on it… OH HELLO!

I don’t think tort would work on a Strat, but a rosewood board might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Fiesta red is like red but without the attitude.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    That’s way too much driving for a guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    I felt that when I bought Fender too
  • A classic case of the infamous buyers remorse. It’s nothing new, is quite common and is one reason a good many have stopped using eBay as they had no control over the process of refunds/returns being forced upon them. 

In relation to the question…yes I have had this experience, although it was primarily when I was younger and buying in store with less of an understanding of what I liked. These days, I know gas will catch up with me sooner or later, so it’s less about the guitar and more about my fickle nature. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3464
    Nicely figured neck.

I'd like a '50's Vintera in Fiesta red but I prefer a more coral tone. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    That’s nice. It’s also the type of pinky red that looks better with a maple board, so I would leave it. I might replace the pickup covers and knobs with whiter ones though.

If you’re looking for a more orange-red colour that suits a rosewood board and a green/11-screw pickguard, try Dakota Red instead of Fiesta. I don’t know if they do that…

But if it’s a nice guitar I would keep it for a while at least - when I got my Rickenbacker 4001, Fireglo (sunburst) was my least favourite colour for them, but I bought it anyway because it’s such a great bass. Over time I got used to it, and now I wouldn’t change it, it’s perfect the way it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    ICBM said:
    That’s nice. It’s also the type of pinky red that looks better with a maple board, so I would leave it. I might replace the pickup covers and knobs with whiter ones though.

Yeah that looks great apart from the cheap 1990s copy style pickup covers and knobs. Definitely go whiter, that would transform it. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Hmmm… as someone who doesn’t give a crap what a guitar looks like, I’m probably not the right person here. Y’see I’m odd in that I can’t *hear* or *feel* colour…
    But if you can’t get past the colour, there’s only one option. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:
    The top picture was taken in low light and seems a lot more red than it is.
    Bottom also doesn't capture how pink it is.

Weird, I'll try again tomorrow with proper lighting, but trust me it is a lor lighter.

https://imgur.com/a/hMOU4fe
    It still baffles me that fender don’t seem to use original colour references to make their modern takes on vintage guitars. I’ve seen this version (fenders modern version) of FR in real life and it’s no where near the original reds used in the 50s. 
  • NCo said:

Weird, I'll try again tomorrow with proper lighting, but trust me it is a lor lighter.

It still baffles me that fender don’t seem to use original colour references to make their modern takes on vintage guitars. I’ve seen this version (fenders modern version) of FR in real life and it’s no where near the original reds used in the 50s. 

It's a good job they got the wear and tear right.
  • NCoNCo Frets: 44
    NCo said:

You're 100% right on how it looks in real life. My poor photography skills don't seem to capture the peach/salmon colour. 

They should learn from this guy:

https://goldenera-guitars.co.uk/products/fiesta-red-sc-body-scratchplate-ge0248
  • NCoNCo Frets: 44
    Neil said:
    Nicely figured neck.

I'd like a '50's Vintera in Fiesta red but I prefer a more coral tone. 
    Go see one for yourself, if Coral is what you're after you might like it.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I fully agree that the colour is meh. But wouldn't Fiesta red nitro look like that after decades os use? Perhaps that was the intended effect?
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    My Palir tele is a red colour, not sure if its Fiesta red, but it sure isn't glossy.  It's a nitro finish and it's okay at best.  Not my favourite and I like red.  It plays really nicely though, good weight and sounds good.  Just not into it's looks.  I've kept it for so long now I kinda like it for what it is rather than how it looks.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    Yorkie said:
    I fully agree that the colour is meh. But wouldn't Fiesta red nitro look like that after decades os use? Perhaps that was the intended effect?
    Depends how it started off and how much UV exposure it’s had. But I know the colour of this guitar in real life and it doesn’t represent any sort of FR that exists in the vintage world
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:

It's a good job they got the wear and tear right.
    Imo the wear on this is superior to the vast majority of CS guitars I’ve seen 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    That's Strats for you..................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • From the photo it does have the look of a red Fiesta or Corsa that’s been out in the elements & in need of a good wax. Nice red on the GEG Strat photo though :)