Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). From like to dislike in 6 hours. - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

From like to dislike in 6 hours.

What's Hot
NCoNCo Frets: 44
In my search for a fiesta red Stratocaster, I drove 5 hours today to pickup up a Vintera 50's Road Worn which is a month old and played really well.

Got home, took a break, went back to the guitar and all of a sudden a feeling of meh crept up on me. The Fiesta looks faded, and this is totally irrational, but I am completely over it. I knew what the colour was, saw it in pictures and when I arrived, and thought I was ok with it lol.

My initial plan was to play it a bit and then decide if I want to swap out the neck for a Rosewood one, but now I just want to sell it.

Has anyone else had such a change of heart on a new guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I had it on the drive home once! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Almost every time I've been gifted a guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    My wedding day was the same kind of thing
    39reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • No. I try not to buy blind! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited September 2023
    mgaw said:
    But she is over that initial disappointment and loves you now Mark right ?
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah. Epiphone Les Paul Custom.  Liked it in the shop and at home. Got it out of the case at rehearsal, played one song, hated it. Sold it soon after. 
  • Bought a Gibson SG Menace from my friend a few years ago because he needed the money and I fancied a new toy. Played it at his house, liked it, at my house, liked it… took it to a gig and hated it, it felt like a toy. I swapped to my backup guitar after one song and sold it to the other guitarist in the band before the next rehearsal. It looked a lot better on him than it did on me, to be fair.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• Depends how much you paid for it and if you could have gotten a same spec model from a different manufacturer.

In my experience the tendency to regret a purchase is definitely related to how expensive it was.  The more expensive it is, the higher my expectation, the more probable that the gear won't live up it.  Hence why I'm meh about my expensive US strats because I know I can get very close to it with a Squier, MIM, or even Jet.  But I love my cheap Squier Thinline Tele because I know the US Fender version costs at least 6x more =) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    its a good excuse to go down the change everything on it rabbit hole, refinish etc and waste even more money to come to the same conclusion over a few months. That my friend is fretboarding.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    mgaw said:
    But she is over that initial disappointment and loves you now Mark right ?
    No idea @DrCornelius she is still here 18 years in despite everything 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NCoNCo Frets: 44
    Depends how much you paid for it and if you could have gotten a same spec model from a different manufacturer.

In my experience the tendency to regret a purchase is definitely related to how expensive it was.  The more expensive it is, the higher my expectation, the more probable that the gear won't live up it.  Hence why I'm meh about my expensive US strats because I know I can get very close to it with a Squier, MIM, or even Jet.  But I love my cheap Squier Thinline Tele because I know the US Fender version costs at least 6x more =) 

Not an expensive buy, and I'm sure I could get most if not all of the £550 I paid for it.

Mainly the colour, seems my heart is set on a more red/orange fiesta red.
    swiller said:
    its a good excuse to go down the change everything on it rabbit hole, refinish etc and waste even more money to come to the same conclusion over a few months. That my friend is fretboarding.

Yep, as I said the plan to swap out the neck for a Rosewood one and get a 3ply 11 hole guard to complete the look, but sheesh.

Let's see how I feel about it tomorrow.
  • It happens with nearly everything guitar I own - I can always find a fault to allow me to sell it.  
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I have the same thing with shell pink… always think it looks great in photos, but in the flesh (to me) it’s a very “meh” colour.  

Been down that rabbit hole twice, sold both!! 
  • Fiesta Red is best with rosewood and a mint green scratchplate, IMO.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fiesta Red is best with rosewood and a mint green scratchplate, IMO.

I agree, bought it to change the cosmetics, but apparently there are way too many shades of fiesta, and this one is meh.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Show us a picture so we can give an informed opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pics, we want pics!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    edited September 2023

Of the ten Telecasters I bought in a "bit" of a splurge, I've never been completely overjoyed with the Japanese one that's not the Blue Flower one, which is in a tinted clear finish. It's the tintedness of it that's what really bothers me, it plays and sounds great.

I don't hate it by any means, but it's only still here because I haven't had the energy to try and move it on
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The top picture was taken in low light and seems a lot more red than it is.
    Bottom also doesn't capture how pink it is.

Weird, I'll try again tomorrow with proper lighting, but trust me it is a lor lighter.

https://imgur.com/a/hMOU4fe
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If it plays and sounds ok, I would give it more time. Whenever I have had cosmetic doubts, they have eventually disappeared.

I once got a very helpful ‘are you gonna play it or look at it’ reply on a similar dilemma (60 miles to the gallon !) - which is just rubbish. 

You gotta love your guitar and want to pick it up.

For what it’s worth, looks great to me…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Nope, but I’ve gone from dislike to like in the time it took me to realise I didn’t have anything else to play for at least a month. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    To misquote the great Goji, how a guitar looks is by far the most important thing, because everything else is easier to change. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    Very nice. I do prefer Fiesta Red on a 60s style Strat to be honest though.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    NCo said:

Mainly the colour, seems my heart is set on a more red/orange fiesta red.
    If it's the wrong shade of a colour AND you bought it specifically for that colour, there's not much you can do

I love pink and shell pink - but cannot stand it when the pigment has too little red and comes out looking like cured pigskin. Yuck. Whereas Sonic Blue mustn't be too blue (for me). So I get where you're coming from , I think.

EDIT: Seen the picture, that is quite a dark Fiesta. In t' old days you could just wait for the clearcoat to yellow but I do see what you mean. It's a perfectly cromulent colour but it doesn't look like the splashy fiesta red you've described.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    mgaw said:
    Did she not look like what she did in Fiesta then? ;)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yes. A couple of times from internet purchases. A Greco tele and a steinberger gl. Both were sold with a few days of getting them.
  • Sporky said:
    To misquote the great Goji, how a guitar looks is by far the most important thing, because everything else is easier to change. 
    I still argue with him about that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Hmmm, I don't know what I think seeing the pictures.  Not crazy about it, but then I've never been a fan of Fiesta Red anyway.