Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I got another camera - Fuji, new...ish - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I got another camera - Fuji, new...ish

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
It has been niggling me for a while....I miss PSAM from Canon.  The recent retro trend from Fuij and Sony whilst they look cool, I find the speed of use in them slows you down, some adjustments on the camera require 2 hands.  I also want to update my Fuji stuff a bit more and saw this at a good price, mint, not a scratch with all the bits.

First impression

1 - Shutter button is "deep", deeper than other Fuji, Sony or Canon that i've had before.
2 - Needs an eyecup. There simply isn't one. (Ordered one that mounts onto the hotshoe)
3 - It is very small, the height of it is less than the width of my iPhone 14 Pro.

But focusing is miles better than X-T1, I like it can do pre-focus, basically constantly focusing, but i don't think i will do that as it seems like a quick way to kill the battery. Using back button focusing and eye or face detect work well.  Love the controls and how fast i can already get around when taking a photo, from moving focus points to exposure compensation.

Overall, impressive little thing, but I think i need a half case or some kind of bottom plate it make it a fraction taller. Can't find one i like for a reasonable price yet.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    *sticks fingers in ears*

lalalalalalala… can’t hear you. 

*really don’t need to be tempted by another fabulous little Fuji*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    dazzajl said:
    *sticks fingers in ears*

lalalalalalala… can’t hear you. 

*really don’t need to be tempted by another fabulous little Fuji*
    £699 with a kit lens.  It even has IBIS built in, same internals pretty much as the X-T4, same sensor too as the updated X-S20. 

The only downside is the battery capacity is pretty small but I have like 6 of them as they are the same as the X-T1/X-Pro1.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Looks like a decently chunky hand grip, too. Important for a smaller camera body.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    edited October 2023
    I've done the opposite, and bought an X-T1 - quite well worn, but still working nicely. I wanted something more weather-resistant than my X-T30, as I have a couple of things coming up where rain might stop play otherwise. Very much liking it so far; it does feel a bit chunkier than the X-T30 (and the grip I put on it is quite a bit bigger), but it's nice to use, and because a couple of things are a bit clunkier than the newer camera, it forces me to slow down (even more than I usually do).

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

IMG_1026.jpeg 165.6K
    edited October 2023
    I still have my X-T1, it’s so underrated now, the AF is still pretty good too when used in Single Shot Focus.  Also have the X-Pro1 too.  Which I've turned it into my film simulation camera no with recipes and shooting JPEG only.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Nice. I still have my XT1 and XT3. I’ve slightly fallen away from photography since our Kenya trip. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I’ll never beat those pictures, and mostly-unrelated I spent a fair bit of 2921 feeling pretty depressed in general. 

Either way they’re still objectively great cameras. I did use my “old” XT3 to do some headshots at work last month. Super simple, no extra lighting, etc but got great results that made a lot of people happy, so that’s nice :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Nice. I still have my XT1 and XT3. I’ve slightly fallen away from photography since our Kenya trip. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I’ll never beat those pictures, and mostly-unrelated I spent a fair bit of 2921 feeling pretty depressed in general. 

Either way they’re still objectively great cameras. I did use my “old” XT3 to do some headshots at work last month. Super simple, no extra lighting, etc but got great results that made a lot of people happy, so that’s nice :) 
    I would have thought having access to a time machine would have been a great mood lifter? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I don't know why, but with Fuji cameras, I have this collector's mentality that i don't get with Sony or other brands.  I still want a more updated X100, perhaps an X-E4 and want to try a X-H2 body and X-T5 for the 3 way tilt screen. 

The X-S10 is my first articulated screen body and not sure I am a fan of it.  Might just leave it flat to the body when in use and fold it back to protect it when not.
  • I've got an X-S10 too. You can put screw thread shutter buttons on it. I have one on my camera.

I've owned quite a few Fuji cameras. X-E2, X-T1. X-T20, X-T30, X-T3

I got the X-S10 because I wanted IBIS. But I'm tempted to get another used X-T3 because that's so good. 

• Nice. I still have my XT1 and XT3. I’ve slightly fallen away from photography since our Kenya trip. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I’ll never beat those pictures, and mostly-unrelated I spent a fair bit of 2921 feeling pretty depressed in general. 

I don't know why, but with Fuji cameras, I have this collector's mentality that i don't get with Sony or other brands.  I still want a more updated X100, perhaps an X-E4 and want to try a X-H2 body and X-T5 for the 3 way tilt screen. 

The X-S10 is my first articulated screen body and not sure I am a fan of it.  Might just leave it flat to the body when in use and fold it back to protect it when not.

My next camera will be an X-T4 or X-T5 I think, purely because of the IBIS, although I don't really miss it too much; the Fuji 16-80 in particular has fantastic OIS, and my manual lenses are all fast enough to not have to worry very often.

I know what you mean though Raymond; I love my Fujis, far more than any other camera I've had. Apart from the photos, they look great, and they're very tactile. I enjoy the whole experience of taking photos, not just the end result. James Popsys was talking about this in one of his recent videos: he's gone back to shooting with his Lumix G9 for fun because he loves it, and says that although the end results of his Sony cameras are great and he loves the convenience of the autofocus and being able to use one system for stills and video, the actual act of taking photos with his Sony brings him no joy whatsoever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd love an X100, but they are stupidly expensive and hard to get now they've become hugely fashionable in some regions.

edited October 2023
    I've got an X-S10 too. You can put screw thread shutter buttons on it. I have one on my camera.

I got the X-S10 because I wanted IBIS. But I'm tempted to get another used X-T3 because that's so good. 
    You can put a screw thread shutter button on it? Is this like a mod?

I have it on the X-Pro and X-100 but they have a thread.  there is no thread on the X-S10?

I'd love an X100, but they are stupidly expensive and hard to get now they've become hugely fashionable in some regions.
    A used X-100v, which has been out 2 and a half years and due an update anytime....goes for 10% above retail.  LCE has, or had one yesterday for £1500.  

I went into the Fuji store in London last weekend and the rep told me the waiting time for one is only 2 months now, but people still go mad for them.  It's some weird trend.

I only have the original X100, it's small but the original isn't very good.  Slow to focus, terrible EVF and not very good button layout.  To adjust focus points requite 2 hands, yup, 2 hands!  The button to change focus point is on the left side of the back of the camera and then you use the D-pad to move it.  Who on earth in R&D thought that was a good idea is beyond me.
  • I've got an X-S10 too. You can put screw thread shutter buttons on it. I have one on my camera.

No, not exactly a mod. Look at the top of your shutter button. See it has a hole? That's threaded.

And Amazon is full of buttons that will screw onto that hole.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VKO-Shutter-Release-Compatible-Fujifilm/dp/B01M2COLAQ

I've got an X-S10 too. You can put screw thread shutter buttons on it. I have one on my camera.

No, not exactly a mod. Look at the top of your shutter button. See it has a hole? That's threaded.

Eh....there's no hole in mine!

Eh....there's no hole in mine!

Ah totally forgot - I've had screw-ins on my other Fujis.

Just checked, this is the one I have on my X-S10 - it just sticks on. I got it when I got the cameras and it's never come unstuck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08C7H9SG9

Ah, i was thinking for a second and actually checked online images whether there are 2 versions of the camera, one with a thread and one without!  I have these buttons on all my other cameras which allows it (X100, XPro1, FM2, OM2 etc).

Does the stick on button on the X-S10 restrict the on/off button on this?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852

My next camera will be an X-T4 or X-T5 I think, purely because of the IBIS, although I don't really miss it too much; the Fuji 16-80 in particular has fantastic OIS, and my manual lenses are all fast enough to not have to worry very often.

I know what you mean though Raymond; I love my Fujis, far more than any other camera I've had. Apart from the photos, they look great, and they're very tactile. I enjoy the whole experience of taking photos, not just the end result. James Popsys was talking about this in one of his recent videos: he's gone back to shooting with his Lumix G9 for fun because he loves it, and says that although the end results of his Sony cameras are great and he loves the convenience of the autofocus and being able to use one system for stills and video, the actual act of taking photos with his Sony brings him no joy whatsoever.
    Yeah I totally get this. Sonys take great images but the cameras themselves feel sterile and have no soul to them - like a PRS!!

Sony folk would HATE my old 35 f1.4 lens but man that thing has magic in it, even though I know magic isn’t real and it’s just an object made in a factory using science 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I love the Fuji 35/1.4, but I think part of the magic is in the square hood lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Very cool!

I was torn between an xt4 and lumix s5 and went with the lumix as I don't do sport and action really. It is amazing what some of the older gen cameras can do if you just don't expect magic - beautiful images have arguably been available in camera since the first 6mp ccd dslrs were a more available price (nikon d70 is a perfect example) and the older mirrorless systems kick serious butt no matter the generation. The xs-10 is probably one I should have considered to save some pennies over the panny boy, but too late now! 

Happy new camera day! 
    Very cool!

I was torn between an xt4 and lumix s5 and went with the lumix as I don't do sport and action really. It is amazing what some of the older gen cameras can do if you just don't expect magic - beautiful images have arguably been available in camera since the first 6mp ccd dslrs were a more available price (nikon d70 is a perfect example) and the older mirrorless systems kick serious butt no matter the generation. The xs-10 is probably one I should have considered to save some pennies over the panny boy, but too late now! 

Happy new camera day! 
    I got mine with the kit lens for £699, only about 200 shots were taken too.

There is another in similar condition but it seems people remove the kit lens and flog that, but the body still goes for the same money. And yeah, i can live with the slightly worse EVF and single card slot for person work.  They don't affect IQ and losing holiday photos is not the same as losing wedding photos.

• Ah, i was thinking for a second and actually checked online images whether there are 2 versions of the camera, one with a thread and one without!  I have these buttons on all my other cameras which allows it (X100, XPro1, FM2, OM2 etc).

Does the stick on button on the X-S10 restrict the on/off button on this?
    Not at all. Feels like it was meant to be there. 

edited October 2023

I'd love an X100, but they are stupidly expensive and hard to get now they've become hugely fashionable in some regions.
    A used X-100v, which has been out 2 and a half years and due an update anytime....goes for 10% above retail.  LCE has, or had one yesterday for £1500.  

I went into the Fuji store in London last weekend and the rep told me the waiting time for one is only 2 months now, but people still go mad for them.  It's some weird trend.

I only have the original X100, it's small but the original isn't very good.  Slow to focus, terrible EVF and not very good button layout.  To adjust focus points requite 2 hands, yup, 2 hands!  The button to change focus point is on the left side of the back of the camera and then you use the D-pad to move it.  Who on earth in R&D thought that was a good idea is beyond me.
    You could always get an X-T20 or X-T30 and pop the Fuji 27mm pancake lens on it. Pretty much an X100 in all but name (and look)

EDIT: I have the TTArtisan 27mm AF lens. It's not as small as the Fuji but it takes nice shots, and on my X-T30 it's not much bigger than a compact camera.

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/ttartisan-af-27mm-f28-aps-c-fujifilm-x-mount/accessory-colour/titanium

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837

Completely agree. I loved the format but it was a dog to use - focussing very slow and erratic, plus I couldn't get on with the rear 'wheel' selector button at all. I moved over to X-T2, which my son loved so much he now has it, while I currently use the X-E2 with the 16-80 lens. I've taken some of my best pictures with the X-E2, it's a lovely small camera and benefited greatly by adding the Fuji grip attachment.
    edited October 2023

You could always get an X-T20 or X-T30 and pop the Fuji 27mm pancake lens on it. Pretty much an X100 in all but name (and look)

EDIT: I have the TTArtisan 27mm AF lens. It's not as small as the Fuji but it takes nice shots, and on my X-T30 it's not much bigger than a compact camera.

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/ttartisan-af-27mm-f28-aps-c-fujifilm-x-mount/accessory-colour/titanium
    Slightly different focal length though, i know it's only a few mm but i know 35mm like the back of my hand and i would mess up my approach a bit and also the same feel when i go back to my Sony.  So for muscle memory reasons I think 23mm is a must.

I must admit I've always overlooked the X-T20/T30 series, I dunno why, I guess I felt either go big (XT-1) or go small (X100 or X-E).  The in-between models never pulled me in, plus the really flat grip scares me.  I would immediately add a grip to it.
    edited October 2023

Slightly different focal length though, i know it's only a few mm but i know 35mm like the back of my hand and i would mess up my approach a bit and also the same feel when i go back to my Sony.  So for muscle memory reasons I think 23mm is a must.

I must admit I've always overlooked the X-T20/T30 series, I dunno why, I guess I felt either go big (XT-1) or go small (X100 or X-E).  The in-between models never pulled me in, plus the really flat grip scares me.  I would immediately add a grip to it.
    Ah, my mistake: I thought the X100 was 27mm.

I know what you mean about the flat grip. When I got the X-T30 it felt *tiny*
    I added a grip to mine straight away. It's the Fuji one, it actually says X-T10 on it but since they're all the same size it fits perfectly. They were like £100 or something new, mine was £15 second hand. Makes a world of difference, and feels like it's part of the camera.

I am actually still after an X-Pro2.  I love the X-Pro1 but it's so slow, so an updated version would be good and I am not a fan of the flip down screen for the X-Pro3.
  • I absolutely loved the X-T30. I wouldn't have actually traded up to the X-T3 if it hadn't been for a need for longer video recording for work. Back then the X-T30 had a recording limit.

That cameras with the little 27mm pancake on it was sublime, though the X-S10 isn't far off it for size. 

• That’s a beautiful camera . I used to have a 602z pro in 2004 it was ace 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    I still own (and am generally happy with) an X-M1, which is a positive antique. I did recently bang hard up against its limits trying to take wildlife/bird stuff on a cruise though and am currently eyeing the price of used X-T4s keenly…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...