Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Friedman Tube powered Pre Amp pedal announced - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Friedman Tube powered Pre Amp pedal announced

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Is this the amp tech from the Friedman mini amps put into a pedal with two tubes that may have small effect on the sound?

Surprised there isn't a small poweamp in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    looks more like an adaption of the synergy modules + digital IR loader. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Something about Friedman really grinds my gears. I think it is probably the names - Pink Taco, Brown Eye etc etc.

But that allied to them being yet another BAD brand just really turns me off for some reason. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Sounds awesome and it's a good price, I'll be tempted to get one at some point! This is what the Revolt should have been. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    Looks interesting.
    This (has MIDI) and with something like a HX Stomp, they could make a nice pair
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve bought one, should be here tomorrow. It’s pretty much exactly what I’ve been looking for. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It's far too simple.
    I prefer something much more complicated and better sounding.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @kennedydream1980 interested to hear how it sounds!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    Sassafras said:
    It's far too simple.
    More demos will come out in the coming weeks, so let's see but the Michael Nielsen one is pretty good as is the Peach one
  • I’ve bought one, should be here tomorrow. It’s pretty much exactly what I’ve been looking for. 
    A very premature happy new Amp/pedal day to you I bet it will be amazing 
  • Kebabkid said:
    Sassafras said:
    It's far too simple.
    More demos will come out in the coming weeks, so let's see but the Michael Nielsen one is pretty good as is the Peach one
    Michael Nielsen & Leon Todd are usually my go to guys for reviews 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My BE100 pedal was amazing so expecting huge things from this 
  • It's damn expensive. Might as well buy a regular amp.

I got the TC Electronics Ampworx 550 last week and it sounds fabulous for a heck of a lot less money. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's damn expensive. Might as well buy a regular amp.

I got the TC Electronics Ampworx 550 last week and it sounds fabulous for a heck of a lot less money. 
    Well Friedman is a big name and a regular amp would be anywhere from 1500 to 3000 
    I suppose this is the nearest thing to it. If what Dave says is true this is basically the pre amp circuits from his BE100 and another amp 
  • Since I posted Andertons has updated the price. Originally it said £700, now it's £500, which I guess is a lot more reasonable. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Since I posted Andertons has updated the price. Originally it said £700, now it's £500, which I guess is a lot more reasonable. 
    Yep, I paid £499 for mine at Guitarguitar.
  • Seems like yet another no-brainer product that Marshall would've put out 3-5 years ago if they were being run smartly! 

Anyway, great for Friedman - looks like a good bit of kit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Leon Todd is one of mine - I don't tend to watch a lot of reviews but generally click on his. Helps that he tends to favour the sort of chewy hard rock Marshall distortion that I love.

He made his cab IRs available for free too, I need to try them at the weekend.

The Friedman pedal sounds great I have to say. @stickyfiddle is right, Marshall ought to be thinking about something similar. They popularised this whole sound after all.
    I've noticed when products first hit the market, Andertons have started putting the full RRP for a few weeks on the initial hype then seeing what everyone else does.

£200 extra seems a bit too much to be RRP, so this might genuinely be an error. 
  • So how would this compare to the Victory pedal Amps ?
  • randella said:
    Leon Todd is one of mine - I don't tend to watch a lot of reviews but generally click on his. Helps that he tends to favour the sort of chewy hard rock Marshall distortion that I love.

He made his cab IRs available for free too, I need to try them at the weekend.

The Friedman pedal sounds great I have to say. @stickyfiddle is right, Marshall ought to be thinking about something similar. They popularised this whole sound after all.
    He has one IR that sounds great with just about anything 
    RJ Ronquillo is a good reviewer too but I don’t know if he’s done anything on it 
  • Daiganzen said:
    So how would this compare to the Victory pedal Amps ?
    I could offer an opinion on this when my Friedman IRX arrives as I have owned a Victory V4 Sheriff amp and the V4 Kraken. I only ran the victory stuff direct using the Two Notes output straight to my mixer and through studio monitors. I plan to use the Friedman in the same way.

What I can say off the bat is the V4 Sheriff didn't have enough gain on channel 1 for me. It was fine for lower gain stuff, but I tend to go for a medium gain crunch, then ride the guitar volume to get cleaner sounds. It's a shame as it did sound really good with my preferred IR's. Also the 2nd channel is voiced very different to the 1st and has tons more gain on tap.

The Kraken was actually more where I needed it to be, I just didn't like the flavor of gain it had. You can tell its been voiced more towards metal / heavier style gain.

Anyway once my Friedman IR-X arrives I'll report back with my thoughts.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited September 2023
    Interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives. 

I’ve listened to multiple demos now and it comes across as very thin sounding in all of them and somewhat fizzy. 

I’ve always wanted to like the Friedman gear but sold off my Be deluxe head and Runt fairly quickly. Just something about the mids that I don’t like and can’t be dialled out.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives. 

I’ve listened to multiple demos now and it comes across as very thin sounding in all of them and somewhat fizzy. 

I’ve always wanted to like the Friedman gear but sold off my Be deluxe head and Runt fairly quickly. Just something about the mids that I don’t like and can’t be dialled out.
    From the demos, I don’t think it sounds thin, more a very specific rock rhythm sound that is great with big open chords as is seems to retain clarity, but as a result it doesn’t sound like it would work so well for single note solo stuff. Buts that just from demos so who knows,.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    To me it seems to be like the Friedman Small Box in principle.
    And it seems to be way more module like than pedal like

As an owner of many many Egnater and Synergy modules I see no issues with stuff made at BAD (Boutique Amp Distribution)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • To me it seems to be like the Friedman Small Box in principle.
    And it seems to be way more module like than pedal like

As an owner of many many Egnater and Synergy modules I see no issues with stuff made at BAD (Boutique Amp Distribution)

That's exactly what I thought. With the plexi like channel 1 and BE channel 2, it very much smacks of the Small Box.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Since I posted Andertons has updated the price. Originally it said £700, now it's £500, which I guess is a lot more reasonable. 
    That's a shame. Now it's £249 at Andertons.

:) 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    edited September 2023
    I suspect I'm in a minority as most people will use them with pedals or into a DAW, but I'd have loved a simple reverb on this.  The demo's sound great and I'd have bought one as an upgrade on my iridium.  
  • Sassafras said:
    Since I posted Andertons has updated the price. Originally it said £700, now it's £500, which I guess is a lot more reasonable. 
    That's a shame. Now it's £249 at Andertons.

:) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    edited September 2023
    Seems like yet another no-brainer product that Marshall would've put out 3-5 years ago if they were being run smartly! 

Anyway, great for Friedman - looks like a good bit of kit
    Haven’t Blackstar already done this with the Dept 10 distortion?