Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who actually plays their guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who actually plays their guitar?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    What is guitars?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    GoFish said:
    What is guitars?
    Baby don't hurt me
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I pick one up and maybe try a few chords or part of a song most days while I'm working, usually while I'm waiting for the computer to do something.

I really should do something more structured, or maybe even take some lessons and try to learn to play 'properly'.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm only a hobbyist but I do play pretty much every day.  I have quite few guitars, some go unplayed as I never got on with them and several that I play regularly.

• Most of mine are in bits. Luckily I own a set neck guitar - still need rewiring tho :lol: 

• swillerswiller Frets: 662
    No point in playing em really. We should know what the tones sound like already.
     Maybe play em in the shop or person you are buying from for sure.
    Any playing after that is just rude and risks degrading the guitar and its tone.

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    I pay a personal service to come round once a month to tune them...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I do a stressful job and my wind-down used to be riding my motorbike home ( its difficult to think about work when you are concentrating on the next apex, avoiding the car that just pulled out etc. )
    I've been working from home for 5 years so when lock down happened, playing the guitar again gave me something to concentrate on, let my brain wind down and provided that separation from work.
    I'll never join a band at my age but it keeps me sane
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    inewham said:

You’d be surprised how old most band members are
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    edited September 2023
    Had a rehearsal last night with the band. I try to play everyday. A lot of it is without an amp and alone in my living room if the wife’s gone to bed early. 

I am fortunate enough to own a dozen instruments. So I tend to rotate them every couple of months so that I get to play everything. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Roland said:
    inewham said:
    Not that surprised. ;) 

But seriously, I'd imagine many of those folk may be getting on in years now, but they've been playing in bands for many years.  I can't imagine starting in a band, for the very first time, at my age, and maybe @inewham is in the same boat.  Or maybe not.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    Sell em and just buy their NFT’s 
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    Philly_Q said:
    Roland said:
    inewham said:
    Not that surprised. ;) 

But seriously, I'd imagine many of those folk may be getting on in years now, but they've been playing in bands for many years.  I can't imagine starting in a band, for the very first time, at my age, and maybe @inewham is in the same boat.  Or maybe not.
    Exactly - I couldn't imagine doing it for the first time now I'm 60, too much going on in my life to make a commitment to other people.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Most of mine are in bits. Luckily I own a set neck guitar 

If it's a Gibson, it's probably only a matter of time before it joins the rest of your guitars :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    I'm 61 started in 76 swapped to bass in 1980 played in various bands. Took up electric again in 97 started my first band in 01 and started current one in 18. Joined the trio last year You're never too old. 

In fact it got easier for me. To start the last band it took about 5 phone calls to friends. Bass player refused so rang up the keyboard player and told him he was the bassist. Luckily for me he's a multi instrumentalist 
  • Most days I'll play for 20 minutes or so. Usually just noodling around.

I've started listening to planet rock radio again to try and listen to new things to inspire me to actually learn new songs, rather than the same Spotify playlists
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I play every day, even if it's only for an hour before bed. 3 times a week I tend to 
    Meet up with mates and jam or rehearse songs we may never play live. 
    3 guitars always on stands, THR10 ii abd WAZA Air ready to go. Even the pedal board and interface are just needing a couple of minutes to fire up.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    inewham said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Roland said:
    inewham said:
    Not that surprised.  

Exactly - I couldn't imagine doing it for the first time now I'm 60, too much going on in my life to make a commitment to other people.
    Slightly different for me, I'll suddenly have plenty of time on my hands when I retire in a year or two... but as you say it might be difficult to find a group of people of similar age, degree of enthusiasm and and level of incompetence.... who don't insist on playing Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay, Sex on Fire or Mr. Brightside.
  • I pick up a guitar 3-4 times a week and hit the strings. Sounds come out my headphones or the hole in the middle of the guitar.

To call it "playing" would require a rather loose interpretation of the definition.
  • MattPMattP Frets: 240
    Yorkie said:
    MattP said:
    Probably like a lot of you, I have a really busy job and a couple of young children and that takes up all of my time, there's nothing left over. 
    That's nothing to be ashamed of :)

I’ve been there, did what you are doing and would do it all over again if I had to. For me, making music is a wonderful hobby, but children – and a day job to be able to feed them! – wife and home take full priority. 

What I don't know – and would like to hear from the pros here – is how you balance family life with being a touring musician. I do travel a lot as part of my job as a scientist, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to what professional musicians do every year.

Jon
    Thanks mate. 

Re-reading my post, it sounds like i'm lamenting their intrusion on personal time, and it's not that at all. They certainly take priority, but i do wish at the same time I had a little more time to play! 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Quite a few hours every day.  I am such a slow learner it needs to that way
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    I play quite a bit. It's cathartic. No band any more, so just a release from work. 

Although the other night I was thoroughly enjoying my old JCM900 cranked into a reactive load, with a non-Custom Shop Les Paul from the early 00's which has never mysteriously snapped its neck off. 

I now realise the folly of my ways and will never play again. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    I play most days, on a day like today (Day off home alone) I played for at least 4 hours  - songs mainly and loving every minute of it. I don't do structured practice, I might work on learning a song or writing something - or playing around with an idea/chord progression and lay down some loops etc... I just love it ;) 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 403
    Try to play every day, sometimes it's 5 minutes, sometimes a few hours. I rehearse with the band every other week on average and we aim for a gig a month so there's always a good incentive to keep playing amd learning new songs. Both kids gone to Uni this month so suddenly have a lot more free time and hoping to play more, especially as I've just completed building an office/home cinema/guitar room in the garden where I can play at a decent volume. Also going to resume lessons at some point. 
  • The one I play the most, is the one in the living room I usually do finger exercises on. It's the hardest to play and one I don't find the dogs knocking over.
    I inveribly find the second I get into the music room to do some proper practice/recording/song writing, I get interrupted by the wife because I've neglected her or some chores. So one out of 12.