Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who actually plays their guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who actually plays their guitar?

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
...or do you just look at it, write about it and watch YouTube videos of people playing identical ones, and then compare the toanz?
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I don’t even look at them…
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I play my bass almost every day. Then there's weekly rehearsals and the odd gig.

Been a long time since I wrote a song though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don't even own one. I just come on here to fill the gap in my life
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Play guitar erry day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Guitars aren't real, they only exist on t'interweb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I have a noodle ~3-4 days out of 7.  All my guitars fall easily to hand and I have a Katana Air on standby.  I therefore have no excuse not to play!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I play a bit pretty much every day, and wish I had time to gig at the moment, but with the business it's difficult. I spend very little time looking at my own or the workshop guitars as 'if I look - I play' and then I'd get no work done. I have one acoustic and one electric at home ... the rest are in 'Oily Towers' and its environs.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m finding I’m making and modding more than I actually play them. 
  • Ornamental display object. 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    Yes but I am terrible for absent minded fiddle arsing about with vague licks and quarter songs rather than any structured songs practice. 

Played a gig last weekend and realised that as I play everything with my fingers at home, my pick techniques are dropping away badly. 
  • Sorry, I don’t understand the question. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have staff here who do it for me and report back. They say it's fine. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    In the years BG (before guitar) I was interested in the music I heard on the radio. The guitar gave me the means to explore melody and harmony. A piano would have been better, but we couldn't afford one, and didn't have the space to put it.

Nowadays a guitar is a vehicle for my two favourite activities: playing in a band, and making things in my workshop. The two are linked because I'm on a mission to develop the ideal guitar for my type of gigging. Yes, I do play, but not every day.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I noodle every day. Sometimes I even learn new stuff.
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    edited September 2023
    I have one above my office desk, I pick it up most days and make a sound with it. I’m not sure it’s classed as playing it though . Playing suggests a level of competence that I can only dream about. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    2 hours every day, minimum. Working from home helps......
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    I've been playing everyday since I bought my Tonex/ Boss GT1000 Core. I am compiling a list of presets for various sounds/ songs and that forces me to play the actual songs. I've actually re-learned a few I had forgotten and learned a few new ones. So this is one of the cases in which new gear equals more playing.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    if I'm not playing, I'm listening. Same thing.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I can't play anymore, that''s why I've had to take up synth. I can play that with my one good hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I play far more at work on. day to day basis - That tends to be more doodling as against serious 'learning' - But due to evaluating new stock and checking existing stock from time to time, it is inevitable I play everyday - I wish I had more time to play at home everyday - I play most days at home, but not enough
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Only occasionally at the moment. Work is keeping me occupied and/or knackered for most of the day. The most I can hope for is an unplugged strat when there's sport on the telly and I don't need to hear the sound. 
  • We're up to 3 pages on the 

What songs/pieces/ techniques are you all working on this week?

thread elsewhere on here - which is a heck of a lot more than I was anticipating!  =)
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • Tax return time is rapidly approaching so the guitar will be played a lot more ! 

Strum a guitar every day … this is my stairs

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    All the time. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    What about photographing and posting pics of my rig on instagram?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    I play acoustic in a local church every Friday and Sunday from 2015. We've had two months off and probably going to do once a month.

I play acoustic in a folk trio. We've had the summer off but generally do regular open mics and rehearse before. We also did two 30  min slots and a 2 hour jam session at a local folk festival. Rehearsals start again  in October.

I have a currently rehearsal only covers band. We jam approx once a month. I play electric and sing in this band.

I learn songs or rehearse songs most days. I have a guitar amp in my music room slash office. I'll play at lunch time if working at home.

I also love talking about gear, buying it, trading it,lending it and making it work in a band. Currently on holiday so no playing but I did order a new fuzz pedal.

• People play guitars?? I just bought them as wall ornaments! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    impmann said:
    ...or do you just look at it, write about it and watch YouTube videos of people playing identical ones, and then compare the toanz?
    Mostly just looking.  Sometimes I blow some dust off the cases if it's getting too noticeable.

I do watch YouTube videos of people playing guitars, but they're not usually the same as any of mine.
  • Since I got involved with the Church of Appliantology and sold all my guitars I just go back to my ugly little room and quietly dream my last imaginary guitar solo...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • At least an hour of basic muscle-memory practice and conditioning every day. Picking one up due to an inspiron particle hitting my brain varies from 0 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the day (this usually happens late at night, I'm very nocturnal and I find I get more ideas when the rest of the world has gone to sleep so it's quieter).