Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ugly amps that actually sound good - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ugly amps that actually sound good

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
I love the look of most valve amps made up to 1980 and new boutique stuff.

This thread is about the opposite of those:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    I was going to post a picture of my Bandit but the novelty factor is gone. 

How about this one: 

Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I’ve never thought the red stripe Transtubes are ugly at all - quite the opposite, I really like the ‘art deco cinema’ styled end pieces and the graphics. I did change the original ‘spiky’ Peavey logo on mine for the smaller ‘round’ one, admittedly - although the ‘modern’ one there is better still.

The Dual Rectifier isn’t pretty, but it is iconic - hard as nails, brutal and uncompromising. (Actually more so than some of the more subtle sounds it can do, they’re surprisingly versatile.)

The Tuck ‘n’ Roll Kustoms are what they are - unique, slightly tongue in cheek, but cool.

The Hughes & Kettner is ugly, I’ll give you that…

Gibson Goldtones probably top the list of ugly but still sound good. Absolutely hideous!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    ^ That Gibson one there is really the only one I don't like. The recto especially is a total classic.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I really like the look of the Goldtone ,they are great amps once you change the plastic valve seats but I really like the 1940s radiogram style of it........also reminds me of 1970s Television cabinets and 'Music Centres '
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Sorry, OP, you’ve had a mare with the inclusion of the Dual Rectifier. 

They’re hard af. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I remember being blown away when I first saw the dual recs. Iconic as someone said. Cool as.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Ugly amps that sound good? Most Tone Kings.  :)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Seem to remember something about fireplaces and stoking the fire........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ugly was a Decent boutique brand a good few years ago. They did a wonderful bluesbreaker type
  • Just because I'm contrary, how about a handsome amp that sounds like ass* and breaks all the time?

* in the hands of anybody other than Nuno
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just because I'm contrary, how about a handsome amp that sounds like ass* and breaks all the time?

That looks like somebody's built an amp out of an old oscilloscope then covered the hole where the screen was with the lid of an ice-cream tub painted black. (In other words, not sure I agree with you on the "handsome" part :) )
  • Bandits look wicked. 
    Especially that bottom one. 

As for ugly amps that sound good… Dunno. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I always thought the Wallace amps looked like an electronics engineer forgot to get advice from a normal human on what it should look like:

Does it sound good? A friend swore by them, and I think there's a Jimmy Page connection, so maybe.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtop said:
    I always thought the Wallace amps looked like an electronics engineer forgot to get advice from a normal human on what it should look like:

Does it sound good? A friend swore by them, and I think there's a Jimmy Page connection, so maybe.
    I think that looks awesome ha. 

Maybe I just like ugly amps?.. 
  • goldtop said:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Quilter have a name and logo that suggests 1970s folk rock band and the amps seem to have no attempt at aesthetics at all but people seem to really like them as amps. 
    The original Yerasov GTA15 I think deserves an honorable mention for looking like a side table from 1972 whilst garnering rave reviews. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3674
    What's that one that looks like a dehumidifier?
  • I'm sure this won't go down well with some, but the aesthetics have always kept me from buying Carr amps. They just lean a bit too hard into the quirky vintage look for me. Bartel, for example, have a similar vibe but get it right.  Despite them sounding bloody great. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Selmer Treble and Bass. The croc ones are cool, but they went to an ugly aluminium panel in the 70s.
  • I guess these must sound pretty decent, but they look like a kitchen appliance from Fritz Lang’s Metropolis (1927).

https://i.imgur.com/nLDSbCZ.jpg

Probably a right fingerprint magnet as well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    not so much ugly but a ridiculous association to Speed Boats - Fender 57 Deluxe with speed boat handle...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The great thing about this thread is that those who find amps like the Bandit too plain and boring looking will likely love some of the more… quirky? designs being posted, and viceversa lol  
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yorkie said:
    The great thing about this thread is that those who find amps like the Bandit too plain and boring looking will likely love some of the more… quirky? designs being posted, and viceversa lol  
    I love the tweed Carr, but not the black one. I also like the Fender speedboat as a design, but not for a 5E3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    ICBM said:
    Yorkie said:
    I love the tweed Carr, but not the black one. I also like the Fender speedboat as a design, but not for a 5E3.
    And I love the Dickinson one... for a Mac Pro inspired computer! 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Just because I'm contrary, how about a handsome amp that sounds like ass* and breaks all the time?

I thought it was known that live he had his DSL40 behind the cabs for these. Not sure he ever really played them. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    I guess these must sound pretty decent, but they look like a kitchen appliance from Fritz Lang’s Metropolis (1927).

https://i.imgur.com/nLDSbCZ.jpg

Probably a right fingerprint magnet as well.

Seeing one in real life at his work shop it's a thing of beauty but yeah I don't fancy cleaning it. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I love that Dickinson amp but I wonder what effect the metal box has on the sound, especially at high volume. It must vibrate like a kazoo.
  • Apart from hardwood cab Mark series Boogies, are any amps actually ‘pretty’?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Apart from hardwood cab Mark series Boogies, are any amps actually ‘pretty’?
    Yes. I think some of the custom colour suede Two Rocks look sublime. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Apart from hardwood cab Mark series Boogies, are any amps actually ‘pretty’?
    Some must be because apparently "stage look" is a crucial deciding factor.