Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD (BCR Content) - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD (BCR Content)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AmigoAmigo Frets: 109
    edited October 2023
    That looks to me like Klingon art... enjoy it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I stumbled on this last night on YouTube.  A bit of Mockingbird action courtesy of Craig Chaquico.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    ^ Interesting - it looks a much smaller guitar when you see it in action.

(And a damn sight cooler than the outfits / facial hair the band chaps are sporting :) )
    Well, it was 1979...  Maybe 1980.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Don't be hard on yourself, @Dave_Mc - neck-through construction, lots of maple etc.  All has its effect!

I remember those Calibre Classics, I spent quite a lot of time researching them.  I can't remember what (if anything) put me off buying one in the end.  They certainly looked a lot like the original USA models, with the "R" headstock logo and everything.

My Mockingbird is a Japanese model, but I don't know much about the specifics.  it looks a lot like a USA one, with the full complement of switches, and again the "R" logo.  The pickups are Duncans but I've no idea which models they are.
    LOL I'm blaming the 24 frets for the neck pickup! Not sure what I can blame for the JB... that they often sound radically different in different guitars? 

It's a good while ago now, so I'm struggling to remember for sure, but I think I only found out about the Calibre Classics just after they'd been discontinued. I thought I'd missed the boat- they didn't seem to be available anywhere. Then out of the blue one day one turned up on Thomann. I did my usual dithering for a few days/weeks and then caved and ordered it. Glad I did because it's really nice. (It doesn't have all the switches, though, just bog standard controls.)

I haven't tried it but based on the Japanese guitars I have tried I would guess yours is great too.
    AK99 said:
    ^ Interesting - it looks a much smaller guitar when you see it in action.
    Believe it or not that's the very first thing I thought when I opened mine! You would think they'd be really big, but they're actually really compact.
    edited October 2023
    Dave_Mc said:
    It's a good while ago now, so I'm struggling to remember for sure, but I think I only found out about the Calibre Classics just after they'd been discontinued. I thought I'd missed the boat- they didn't seem to be available anywhere. Then out of the blue one day one turned up on Thomann. I did my usual dithering for a few days/weeks and then caved and ordered it. Glad I did because it's really nice. (It doesn't have all the switches, though, just bog standard controls.)

I haven't tried it but based on the Japanese guitars I have tried I would guess yours is great too.
    One of the UK dealers had a lot of the Calibre Classics at one point, I can't remember who... I can almost picture it in my head, but the dealers' websites have all changed so much since then.  And maybe it wasn't UK, it could've been a European shop.

Mine is good, but it needs an overhaul - a couple of frets are uneven, there's some loose binding, I really hate the boost and the varitone.  On the plus side, the woodwork's nice, and it's got a really thick figured maple top, not a veneer.  I was thinking I might one day get the finish stripped, get it redone in satin or maybe an oil/wax finish, and replace the Duncans with DiMarzios.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    One of the UK dealers had a lot of the Calibre Classics at one point, I can't remember who... I can almost picture it in my head, but the dealers' websites have all changed so much since then.  And maybe it wasn't UK, it could've been a European shop.

Mine is good, but it needs an overhaul - a couple of frets are uneven, there's some loose binding, I really hate the boost and the varitone.  On the plus side, the woodwork's nice, and it's got a really thick figured maple top, not a veneer.  I was thinking I might one day get the finish stripped, get it redone in satin or maybe an oil/wax finish, and replace the Duncans with DiMarzios.
    Ah I can't help you there, as I said I only really became aware of them after they had been discontinued so I never saw any shops here with stock!

Mine has a proper top (well actually 3 tops I guess because of the neck-thru with walnut stringers thing) too, it's not a veneer. I put Alegrees in mine. Mine's still in fine condition (I probably just don't practise enough!), it just has a little ding on the top of the headstock that IIRC I think it arrived with!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 3922
    edited October 2023
    Very nice! I had a Mockingbird once; only one of the cheapo Bodyart series, but it was nice to play. Can't remember now why I moved it on (as usual!)

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Philly_Q said:
    I stumbled on this last night on YouTube.  A bit of Mockingbird action courtesy of Craig Chaquico.

That's a cracking name.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I have to say that I'd never have matched a design of guitar like this to Harry Seven. Right out of left field,as our US friends say!