Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I've never been a fan of Def Leppard - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I've never been a fan of Def Leppard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Kebabkid said:
    Philly_Q said:

Glad they're still around though.  And I'm glad Viv has the Last In Line project where's he's in the spotlight as the sole guitar player, to me he always seems under-used in Def Leppard. 

@Philly_Q ;I agree but I've seen interviews where he's very nonchalant about DL. I suppose it's an easy gig for him but he tours, still plays massive gigs and is well-remunerated probably leaving him room for his own thing and he's also had his own health issues.

I was particularly pleased to see him do a stint in Thin Lizzy because of his Irish heritage and the influence the band's guitar players had on him but also because on the Thin Lizzy Renegade Tour, the support act was his own Sweet Savage and he played an absolute blinder and was around 19 years old.

His playing on the Shadow King album with Lou Gramm is stellar and worth a listen and of course there's Dio.
    Philly_Q said:
    Kebabkid said:
    His playing on the Shadow King album with Lou Gramm is stellar and worth a listen and of course there's Dio.
    I love that Shadow King album, and also the first Riverdogs album which he featured on.  Two of my favourite "one-offs" (I know there were some later Riverdogs albums, but Viv's not on all of them... and they're nowhere near as good as that first one).
    @Kebabkid @Philly_Q thanks for reminding me about a stonking album!! The solo’s in Once Upon a Time put the hairs up on the back of my neck!! Forgot how much I love Viv!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited September 2023
    welshboyo said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Philly_Q said:

Glad they're still around though.  And I'm glad Viv has the Last In Line project where's he's in the spotlight as the sole guitar player, to me he always seems under-used in Def Leppard. 

@Philly_Q ;;I agree but I've seen interviews where he's very nonchalant about DL. I suppose it's an easy gig for him but he tours, still plays massive gigs and is well-remunerated probably leaving him room for his own thing and he's also had his own health issues.

I was particularly pleased to see him do a stint in Thin Lizzy because of his Irish heritage and the influence the band's guitar players had on him but also because on the Thin Lizzy Renegade Tour, the support act was his own Sweet Savage and he played an absolute blinder and was around 19 years old.

Philly_Q said:
    Kebabkid said:
    I love that Shadow King album, and also the first Riverdogs album which he featured on.  Two of my favourite "one-offs" (I know there were some later Riverdogs albums, but Viv's not on all of them... and they're nowhere near as good as that first one).
    @Kebabkid @Philly_Q thanks for reminding me about a stonking album!! The solo’s in Once Upon a Time put the hairs up on the back of my neck!! Forgot how much I love Viv!!
    That's my favourite solo, too

Wasn't he using Tom Anderson Guitars at the time?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    edited September 2023
    I haven't heard much of their studio output apart from Hysteria, but I saw them live at Sweden Rock Festival this year and they were excellent. 
  • Kebabkid said:
    welshboyo said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Philly_Q said:

@Philly_Q ;;I agree but I've seen interviews where he's very nonchalant about DL. I suppose it's an easy gig for him but he tours, still plays massive gigs and is well-remunerated probably leaving him room for his own thing and he's also had his own health issues.

Philly_Q said:
    Kebabkid said:

‘91 ish - yes you might be right…
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Kebabkid said:
    welshboyo said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Philly_Q said:

@Philly_Q ;;;I agree but I've seen interviews where he's very nonchalant about DL. I suppose it's an easy gig for him but he tours, still plays massive gigs and is well-remunerated probably leaving him room for his own thing and he's also had his own health issues.

Philly_Q said:
    Kebabkid said:

He was, although Google tells me he was still using them in the early Def Leppard days.  He also had his best ever haircut.  Not sure why this picture has turned him into a lefty...

Vivian Campbell Def Leppard
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    The state of that....
  • I saw them right at the beginning of their career in a tiny venue in Swindon, probably a couple of times just as the first ep was coming out, they were very young but never short of great. So many bands around then played there, Maiden with Paul DiAnno, Samson, Praying mantis, and just about every NWOBHM band, great times. I like the early stuff, not a great fan of the, to me anyway, over produced stuff. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Cranky said:
    Ok.  Inspired by this thread I’ve gone and given Pyromania a listen.  Basically I hate it.  Idk if I can go back to Hysteria now.
    stick with the good albums. First two are killer.