Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I've never been a fan of Def Leppard - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I've never been a fan of Def Leppard

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
Well, not the music. However, I have always held the band in highest regard possible for finding a way to keep Rick Allen in the band after he lost his arm. I honestly don't think any other band would have done that. Also, I didn't know but Rick just turned 15 when he joined the band!?!?

I just found a great article about the band's origins, the early days. I love to read about bands starting off, the days of no money, just hoping that things will go somewhere. Lines like this: 

“The studio bill was £148.50,” Joe says, “so with the £1.50 in change we all bought a celebratory bag of fish and chips before we drove back to Sheffield.”

It must be truly wonderful to go on that journey in life, rags to riches playing in a band. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's the link.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/def-leppard-on-through-the-night-story-behind-album?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_content=classic-rock&utm_campaign=socialflow

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I feel the same as you. Joe E is a lovely guy though and he plays some fantastically eclectic music on his weekly Planet Rock show.  A friend's daughter met him whilst working at a hospitality event and he's as charming in real life as his public persona suggests.

And actually, I don't mind what I've heard of their last album  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Their music is not for me at all, but totally agree with your comment about how they looked after Allen following his accident.

It would have taken some time for him to get a decent, working kit together and to get used to playing it to a standard he was happy to present to the band. How many other bands would have just gone off and  replaced him in the meantime?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Same for me. I don't like their music at all - even with my increasing old-man nostalgia and finding myself quite liking some of the rock and metal I detested back in the day - but they seem to be good people.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I saw them live when they were all still teenagers, they weren't great tbh but were likeable and modest. 
  • I was a fan back in the day ....not so much of the early stuff but all the Mutt Lange stuff. He was the man responsible for their huge selling albums and the reason Rick could still drum with the band. The drums for Hysteria, the album recorded after the accident were done last ...after all the music and vocals were finished. These were played on a keyboard or triggered from tape but were designed to be playable by Rick on a specially adapted E kit. 

Saw them twice in 87 and 88, they were incredibly tight and the songs were great. Some of the songs on Hysteria are kind of country songs really but with that production you don't realize it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I was a fan from the very first NWOBHM days. They were still laddish pub-rock, but with way better songs than most and a great singer. To my ears now, that EP seems quite unsophisticated, but I played it to death (and sold it for a pretty penny years later).

But that made them accessible to those would-be rockers who were picking up a guitar for the first time. Then came the 'Hello America' single, more airplay and everything about their sound changed. I probably saw them a few times, but never after they made it big.

But you are dear right, @axisus - they waited for Rick, despite all of the pressure they must have been under from the record company to keep minting the $$$$s. Top fellas.

• I've come round to their music lately too. Ibthink High 'n' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria are a great run of records. Joe, Phil and Viv always do corking interviews - I'll echo the modesty statement from above. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I saw them a couple of times way back.
    Once ‘in the round’ in Sheffield. They were very good.
  • I must admit to being a fan & like Danny1969 love the Mutt Lange stuff
      I’m not sure about Joe ,he reminds me of someone I know in his attitude  but Phil always seems a great guy . Miss Steve and his contributions ,all those little lines 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    edited September 2023
    Love the first two albums, but not much of the mutt stuff. Rick was a fantastic drummer, and they deserve all their success even if just for staying by his side
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    I like the music, especially Pyromania and Hysteria and love the parts, arrangements and sounds. 'Photograph' is one of my favourite rock songs and very much a 'go-to' song i.e. the opening chords and the arpeggiated chorused chorus when trying out gear or plugging in. 

I, too, also like the band and have read things and have heard good things from people who have met and interviewed them and they're the real deal, especially Joe and Phil.

The other band that look after their own following illness or a life event is Styx. Despite having HIV-related health issues,
    co-founder of the band and original bassist, Chuck Panozzo still travels with the band where possible and is brought out for 1-2 numbers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've always thought they peaked (musically) with High 'n' Dry, such a great riffy hard rock album, with a great sound.  I like the first album too, although like many bands they hadn't really settled on their sound or identity at that stage. 

Of course Pyromania and Hysteria are great albums, but for me personally they were starting to get a little too slick.  "Let's Get Rocked" was enough to put me off Adrenalize, and I haven't really liked anything I've heard since, although there are some albums I haven't listened to.

Glad they're still around though.  And I'm glad Viv has the Last In Line project where's he's in the spotlight as the sole guitar player, to me he always seems under-used in Def Leppard. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    I listened to my copy of my sister’s copy of her friend’s Hysteria cassette endlessly when I was 9-10 years old, late 80s.  The tunes and fx both really drew me in.

My parents seemed to think that anything involving electric guitar was devil music, so we had to sneak a lot of music into the house as such.  Big sister was my connection, and the Walkman my escape.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 744
    edited September 2023
    They tried to do the right thing by Steve Clark too. RIP. I remember being obsessed by Gods of War for a while back in the day.

It does speak volumes that a band around for that long only has 3 ex members.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Philly_Q said:

Glad they're still around though.  And I'm glad Viv has the Last In Line project where's he's in the spotlight as the sole guitar player, to me he always seems under-used in Def Leppard. 

@Philly_Q ;I agree but I've seen interviews where he's very nonchalant about DL. I suppose it's an easy gig for him but he tours, still plays massive gigs and is well-remunerated probably leaving him room for his own thing and he's also had his own health issues.

I was particularly pleased to see him do a stint in Thin Lizzy because of his Irish heritage and the influence the band's guitar players had on him but also because on the Thin Lizzy Renegade Tour, the support act was his own Sweet Savage and he played an absolute blinder and was around 19 years old.

His playing on the Shadow King album with Lou Gramm is stellar and worth a listen and of course there's Dio.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Kebabkid said:
    His playing on the Shadow King album with Lou Gramm is stellar and worth a listen and of course there's Dio.
    I love that Shadow King album, and also the first Riverdogs album which he featured on.  Two of my favourite "one-offs" (I know there were some later Riverdogs albums, but Viv's not on all of them... and they're nowhere near as good as that first one).
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Total shite 0/10
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Poboy said:
    Total shite 0/10
    'Evil Dead: Rise' or Def Leppard?
  • a bit too many ballads of late but great in their prime.. I do like the odd album track post Hysteria though...   stuff like Promises and Paper Sun for example..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3115
    edited September 2023
    Love them, but the last greatest hits tour was pretty lame. I don’t know if anything other than vocals was live
  • I can give or take DL, but they always come across as decent musicians who are nice chaps. Joe Elliots radio show is a good listen, plenty of good stories to tell

• I watched an interview with Martin Fry of ABC not long ago and it was interesting that he credited Def Leppard as important in helping create a buzz around the Sheffield music scene, maybe a way of looking at them I hadn’t thought of before. 
    Apart from their early NWOBHM period stuff I’m afraid it’s heavy metal elevator music to me but the Classic Albums episode covering Hysteria is well worth a watch. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • I have a soft spot for DL - got in to them when picked up Vault and Slang for a £1 each and then saw them on a tour a couple of years later. Having not really known anything about them, it was quite a shock to see a one armed drummer, so then looked a little into their history, and yeah, they had some tough times. Would agree that sticking by Rick Allen was a very noble and brave thing to do in the context of record company $$$
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Music not for me. I think one of the band lives in the village here. They played the Leadmill recently - I imagine that was a good do. 
    Joe Elliot did a TV show with Brian Johnson - two good blokes, it was a good watch.
  • Funny I wrote DL off in the 80s, much like I did all pop/rock hair metal bands. For me rock/metal was supposed to dirty and grungy, not over polished, over produced and with poncy hairstyles and designer clothing.
    Now I love the stuff.  
  • Wouldn’t say I’m a die hard fan of them but Hysteria is one of the best written rock albums. One of a few albums where I like pretty much every song and it’s crazy how they didn’t make much money off of that album, despite the sales.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Love them, but the last greatest hits tour was pretty lame. I don’t know if anything other than vocals was live
    They are competent musicians, I can't see why they would not play live??
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I suppose I’d call them a guilty pleasure although I’ve not got any albums beyond adrenalize, but all of them up to this point. 

Although I kind of like the lofi, garage band style of music and its imperfections associated there must also be a part of me that loves the perfections of production associated with pyromania to adrenalize. The fact that they can all sing, and sing well it’s pretty much a band with 3/4 lead vocalists. I know that in recent years they cannot hit the notes quite as well as they are ridiculously high in parts. But… fabulous singing together in multiple part harmonies, added to the great playing, the hooks and melodies, as well as the up and down history of the band. 

• axisus said:
    They are competent musicians, I can't see why they would not play live??

I wouldn't be surprised if it was more the other way around. I've heard Joe in interview pretty much saying he knows his voice is shagged (and let's face it he didn't have the greatest voice to start with) and he just doesn't bother hitting any high notes now. But yes very accomplished musicians. 

I'd sort of like to like them more. Vivian I've always liked as a character, they aren't all wazzocks and they've done the working class lads done good thing. Fond memories of seeing them live sometime during the reign of King George V. But that over production grates terribly on me. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Ok.  Inspired by this thread I’ve gone and given Pyromania a listen.  Basically I hate it.  Idk if I can go back to Hysteria now.