Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Favourite comedy albums? Yours? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Favourite comedy albums? Yours?

What's Hot
These are my go-to's on Spotify:

Doug Stanhope - Beer Hall Putsch - it's a shame Sicko isn't available but of the 4 remaining albums on Spotify thankfully his best is still on here.

Morgan Murphy - Irish Goodbye

Bobcat Goldthwait - I don't mean to insult you... - the guy with the funny voice from the Police Academy movies turns out to be a hell of a stand up comedian.
Just like a headless horse without a horse.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I think the only one I've ever owned/listened to was Hedgehog Sandwich which was excerpts from Not The Nine O'clock News. So will have to be that. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I liked Snuff's one that was all punk advert covers. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shirehorses first album and pretty much anything by Half Man Half Biscuit. There's a few Billy Connolly I like too.

Painters and Dockers and Tenacious D have honourable mentions.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Kaiser Chiefs and Goldie Looking Chain were quite funny.
    Don't think I've ever heard any "Comedy Albums".
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Derek And Clive Live.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Neil's Heavy Concept Album. But calling it comedy really does it a diservice given the alumni of Canterbury legends who make an appearence. It's a Dave Stewart album in all but name. If you haven't heard it, it's brilliant.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    None of them. A comedy album sounds horrendous, plus something that probably lived and died in the 70s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 138
    edited September 2023
    Shirehorses first album and pretty much anything by Half Man Half Biscuit. There's a few Billy Connolly I like too.

Painters and Dockers and Tenacious D have honourable mentions.

I've been thinking about revisiting the Billy connolly stuff again recently actually. 

So good! 

My mate had some jasper carrot stuff I remember laughing at. 
  • The only one I've ever listened to, with the (in)famous 7 Words You Can't Say on TV (which was why I listened to it)

• Derek and Clive live from when I was a teenager
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Offset said:
    Derek And Clive Live.
    Absolutely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYGy-j_oH5Q
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    JezWynd said:
    Offset said:
    Derek And Clive Live.
    Absolutely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYGy-j_oH5Q
    You farkin' caaarnt!
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Derek and Clive.
    What goes up- air traffic control comedy by David Gunson. Laughed at it with my dad so has fond memories for me.
    Hasn't aged too well 

Oh, and easily way too much Cheech and Chong.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Blaster Bates, "The Shower Of Shit Over Cheshire".

And Derek and Clive Live, obvs.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Meaning just comedy talking? None.

But I love Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters. Funny concept album?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Does Joe's Garage count?
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    For those of a 'certain age', Peter Sellars, 'The Best of Sellars', or if you can find it, 'Fool Britannia'.    
  • I just remembered this, I had a Not the Nine O'clock News album of songs that had this on which I loved at the time..

• Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Gorilla 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    Nitefly said:

I was thinking that nobody would have heard of Blaster Bates and his brilliant tales - then I saw you mention it - a classic from when I was just a lad.  I seem to recall the shower being about 3 tons, somewhere over Sandbach.

An old favourite is Grandad Piggot, but you have to be from Stoke to get him.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I thought the OP meant comedy music albums.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    Still have the 2nd Derek & Clive LP....a Bob Newhart one with "Introducing Tobacco To Civilisation" which I still laugh at, and 6 or 7 Firesign Theater albums.
    I sold "Sir Henry at Ndidi's Krall" by Viv Stanshall. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Comedy albums never endure for me in the same way that music ones do; I think the repetition of the joke stops it being funny whereas a good piece of music retains its allure. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I think the closest I have to a comedy album is probably the Jungle Book soundtrack, so that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Chris.B said:
    Nitefly said:

I was thinking that nobody would have heard of Blaster Bates and his brilliant tales - then I saw you mention it - a classic from when I was just a lad.  I seem to recall the shower being about 3 tons, somewhere over Sandbach.

An old favourite is Grandad Piggot, but you have to be from Stoke to get him.

Blaster Bates did loads of albums I think. I remember listening to a few. He had a brown van called the Flying Shite. I also vaguely remember a story called Pork Pies at the Crem. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    beed84 said:
    Does Joe's Garage count?
    I don't know, but I think Zappa's as close as I get to owning any comedy albums.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    Spinal Tap-Break Like The Wind
    Max Boyce- Live At Treorchy, although he's also cracking folk/songwriter and I also enjoy that side, he mixes the comedy with the folk music quite well (some of it hasnt aged so well but thats true of lots of stuff)

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    To be honest, @Chris.B , I'm amazed anyone else remembers him! 
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    The Darkness - Permission To Land
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Another vote for the Bonzos.   Neil Innes... "Ladies and Gentlemen...  I've suffered for my music.  Now it's your turn."
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.