Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NutBuster - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NutBuster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2777
    tFB Trader
    I'd managed to forget about these, gonna have to break out the mind bleach again  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It was always going to be a challenge to make something that does what it does and not have it look rubbish, but they managed to embrace the looking rubbish in a really special way.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is like the Wilkinson roller nut, if made by a deranged HR Giger in a steampunk mood. 

I’d rather have unstable tuning than this carbuncle. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
    (We just haven't got a clue what to do)
    Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way
    To Nut Buster!
    I want one now! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Why spend $175 on this monstrosity when you can have a nut custom made from the material of your choice by a skilled luthier/tech for significantly less?
    Because a new nut, no matter how skilfully and beautifully made, won't do what this is intended to do.  Which doesn't mean I'm advocating buying one...
    I get that the nut buster is designed to stabilise the tuning by locking the strings behind the nut, but my point is that with a properly cut nut it's not necessary to lock the strings in place.

I have a 96 Yamaha Pacifica 604W which has a beautifully made graphite nut, Wilkinson VS100 2 point trem and locking Sperzels. I can abuse that trem all I want and the tuning stays rock solid. No need for a nut buster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    BigPaulie said:
    Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Why spend $175 on this monstrosity when you can have a nut custom made from the material of your choice by a skilled luthier/tech for significantly less?
    Because a new nut, no matter how skilfully and beautifully made, won't do what this is intended to do.  Which doesn't mean I'm advocating buying one...
    I get that the nut buster is designed to stabilise the tuning by locking the strings behind the nut, but my point is that with a properly cut nut it's not necessary to lock the strings in place.

I have a 96 Yamaha Pacifica 604W which has a beautifully made graphite nut, Wilkinson VS100 2 point trem and locking Sperzels. I can abuse that trem all I want and the tuning stays rock solid. No need for a nut buster.
    Totally understood.  I'm not a big trem fan but I agree with you that the type of setup you've described can get the job done well enough.  But the guy who's designed the NutBuster is starting from the premise - rightly or wrongly - that that isn't good enough.  He's even got a video with Johnny DeMarco demonstrating the NutBuster on a Charvel signature guitar which apparently stays in tune well enough, minus NutBuster, for a certain Mr Guthrie Govan... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The statement that it adds tone doesn’t resonate with me 

It’s intriguing I’ll give them that  $175 !!  Nah 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Well I must say, I'm not busting my nuts for anyone, far too precious.
  • BigPaulie said:
    Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:

The Pacifica already has a straight string pull over the nut and and a softer break angle (with less downward pressure on the nut) than on a lot of more traditional guitars, so those benefits of the NutBuster (TM) don’t apply.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 2910
    edited September 2023
    Don’t get how it can compensate for a badly cut nut.That said, as a look what my guitars got conversation starter, not a bad shout. Fortunately I hate discussing my guitars!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This will be one of things where in 15 years time, we’ll be saying “WTF was that all about, ha ha!”.

Oh, wait… we’re doing  it now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    Looks clunky and ridiculous. I can't believe ANYONE would want one. Up there with worst product ideas ever for guitar.

I don't think they needed to waste money on a patent.

What's going on with that low-E winding?!!
    Normally there would be a patent number but that word, I smell something and it's not a patent. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:

Totally understood.  I'm not a big trem fan but I agree with you that the type of setup you've described can get the job done well enough.  But the guy who's designed the NutBuster is starting from the premise - rightly or wrongly - that that isn't good enough.  He's even got a video with Johnny DeMarco demonstrating the NutBuster on a Charvel signature guitar which apparently stays in tune well enough, minus NutBuster, for a certain Mr Guthrie Govan... 

That's a very interesting video.

The nut buster definitely improved the tuning in the second part of the video.

But the most noticeable difference was how much more tone there was in the second part.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    BigPaulie said:
    That's a very interesting video.

The nut buster definitely improved the tuning in the second part of the video.

But the most noticeable difference was how much more tone there was in the second part.
    I LOL'ed.  :D

I have to say, in the first part it does feel like he's trying to get the guitar as out of tune as possible... there are little things you can do, like pulling up after a divebomb, which can help the strings get back closer to being in tune.  The NutBuster does seem to work, though.

I keep thinking there's an unspoken extra step here... you could screw the NutBuster to the headstock, just behind the nut, so it doesn't move at all.  Or basically turn it into a Floyd Rose style combined nut/lock with added fine tuners.  I think then it would work even better.  But you'd lose the "no permanent modifications" selling point....