Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NutBuster - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NutBuster

What's Hot
https://www.guitarnutbuster.com/

This appears to work, is quite pricy, looks terrible on a number of levels, has an awful name which has then been emblazoned onto it in quite a tasteless manner. What’s not to love?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    I reckon it might work well alongside a string butler. And maybe slap a Tronical tuner on the back, who doesn't love a bit of neck dive? :)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looks like it would make changing strings a real ball ache.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Looks like it would make changing strings a real ball ache.
    I don’t see that. It seems you just loosen the clamp for a string, thread the new string through and then wind around the tuner, and then lock the string after. Though I suppose the first time you used it you would have to remove all strings.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    The most exciting bit is their claim that "it adds tone".

This means that someone has finally managed to define and - perhaps even more importantly - quantify tone. While they have not (as far as I've seen) stated what units tone is measured in, nor how instruments can have their tone level tested, they must have made exactly those breakthroughs in order to be able to make such a clear and unambiguous claim.

I look forward to seeing this properly documented as it'll cut off an entire path of guitar forum arguments.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:

This means that someone has finally managed to define and - perhaps even more importantly - quantify tone. While they have not (as far as I've seen) stated what units tone is measured in, nor how instruments can have their tone level tested, they must have made exactly those breakthroughs in order to be able to make such a clear and unambiguous claim.

I look forward to seeing this properly documented as it'll cut off an entire path of guitar forum arguments.
    I’d imagine it changes the mass at the headstock, which changes the tone a bit, and which in some cases gives a subjective “improvement”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sporky said:

Here:

T(k)=(k+2)(1−[wz+h+j−q]2−[(gk+2g+k+1)(h+j)+h−z]2−[16(k+1)3(k+2)(n+1)2+1−f2]2−[2n+p+q+z−e]2−[e3(e+2)(a+1)2+1−o2]2−[(a2−1)y2+1−x2]2−[16r2y4(a2−1)+1−u2]2−[n+l+v−y]2−[(a2−1)l2+1−m2]2−[ai+k+1−l−i]2−[((a+u2(u2−a))2−1)(n+4dy)2+1−(x+cu)2]2−[p+l(a−n−1)+b(2an+2a−n2−2n−2)−m]2−[q+y(a−p−1)+s(2ap+2a−p2−2p−2)−x]2−[z+pl(a−p)+t(2ap−p2−1)−pm]2).

T= tone.

It's honestly a really simple equation, so simple in fact that no prize money was on offer for solving it, unlike the Riemann Hypothesis.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Looks clunky and ridiculous. I can't believe ANYONE would want one. Up there with worst product ideas ever for guitar.

I don't think they needed to waste money on a patent.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • https://www.guitarnutbuster.com/

This appears to work, is quite pricy, looks terrible on a number of levels, has an awful name which has then been emblazoned onto it in quite a tasteless manner. What’s not to love?
    Scroll down to their video gallery where they've enlisted the help of two DeMarco brothers and demanded that Darrell Braun invented two different 'I'm dubious...prove me wrong!' faces for the thumbnails ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Fugly! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:
    Looks clunky and ridiculous. I can't believe ANYONE would want one. Up there with worst product ideas ever for guitar.

What's going on with that low-E winding?!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    axisus said:

Apparently it adds tone.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I’d imagine it changes the mass at the headstock, which changes the tone a bit, and which in some cases gives a subjective “improvement”
    I'd be fine with "changes the tone".

It's the "adds tone". That suggests that it is possible to have different amounts of tone, and for modifications to add or remove tone. Genuine breakthrough for the electric guitar world right there.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Take control.
    Like Brexit.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Apparently it's completely floating and not attached to the guitar, which seems... really weird.
    The Guitar NutBuster® requires no modifications, wood routing or screws and is not permanently mounted to the guitar in any way.
    It is a completely floating and suspended system that attaches solely to the strings and hovers over the headstock completely off of and away from the wood and paint finish preventing any damages from possibly occurring to the guitar while in use.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    So it clamps to the strings behind the nut? 

Yeah, I’m sure that’d work great on a Les Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Spotted one of these a few months back and have been giving serious thought to getting one to try despite all the very legitimate arguments above. Maybe after I get the nut job that guitar needs anyway (high E slot worn down, I think).
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Looks like a solution looking for a problem that either doesn't exist for many or has been solved successfully elsewhere.  It's a right bloody eyesore as well. 
  • Sporky said:

It's the "adds tone". That suggests that it is possible to have different amounts of tone, and for modifications to add or remove tone. Genuine breakthrough for the electric guitar world right there.

Doesn't sound as good though! 
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
    Sporky said:

Depends what kind of tone it adds though.
    I suspect it could easily add an annoying rattly, buzzy metallic tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    Sporky said:

It might also mean that it's added a particular type of tone, e.g. nasal, or annoying, rather than adding more tone, i.e. adding a quality not quantity. Do they ever mention where the tone is added? Perhaps it's all behind the nut, rather than over the pickups?
  • Why spend $175 on this monstrosity when you can have a nut custom made from the material of your choice by a skilled luthier/tech for significantly less?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BigPaulie said:
    Why spend $175 on this monstrosity when you can have a nut custom made from the material of your choice by a skilled luthier/tech for significantly less?
    Because a new nut, no matter how skilfully and beautifully made, won't do what this is intended to do.  Which doesn't mean I'm advocating buying one...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Why spend $175 on this monstrosity when you can have a nut custom made from the material of your choice by a skilled luthier/tech for significantly less?
    Because a new nut, no matter how skilfully and beautifully made, won't do what this is intended to do.
    ...which is presumably to look butt-ugly.
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Because a new nut, no matter how skilfully and beautifully made, won't do what this is intended to do.
    ...which is presumably to look butt-ugly.
    No, that's just one of the side benefits.  Along with the "added tone".
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I'm not saying he's overselling it, but...

"I have also dreamt about how cool it would be to hop in the infamous DeLorean and go back in time to Woodstock to put one on Jimi's guitar right before his legendary performance. That classic footage would be forever changed with him not having to constantly battle his tuning after every aggressive use of the tremolo bar."

We can only dream about what might have been.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023

The apparatus looks like it reduces the string breakover angle at the nut to almost zero, thereby creating a potential problem or exaggerating an existing one and negates the string tree. Because it protrudes so far towards the low E tuner it's impossible to wind the string downwards on the post without creating too acute an angle on the string.  Frankly I don't see the point, and an open B7 would be almost impossible to play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    The up side is that it does resemble a set of goofy chromed teeth on your headstock :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Nutjob.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Does anyone know the way? Did we hear someone say?
    (We just haven't got a clue what to do)
    Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way
    To Nut Buster!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The up side is that it does resemble a set of goofy chromed teeth on your headstock :-) 
    Your Chromed Teeth...over to the Steely Dan thread with you! ;)