Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Harley Benton Loyalty Sale 2.0: 25% off for 25 days on 25 products - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Harley Benton Loyalty Sale 2.0: 25% off for 25 days on 25 products

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3252
Sorry for copying the ad copy, but some of these prizes are nuts since the guitars are already great value for money. These are the prices I often see for these guitars 2nd hand, not new. Ends 14th October or while stocks last, I guess.

Full line up here: https://www.thomann.de/gb/social_harley-benton-loyalty-sale-2.html
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Harley benton have been around for 25 years??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    edited September 2023
    Harley benton have been around for 25 years??

Yes, started in 1998 as the house brand for Thomann
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    edited September 2023
    Harley benton have been around for 25 years??

Yep but it's only more recently that people have tried swapping the pickups and turning them into custom shop-beaters and that's when their popularity really took off.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    That 3 pickup SG is pretty cool, but then it's 3 pickups to replace!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carlos said:
    Replace one= epiphone
    Replace two= USA standard
    Replace three= custom shop. 

Right? 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It does look cool IMO

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for the heads-up...kind of tempted to try one of those single-P90 SG types...
    edited September 2023
    carlos said:
    Yeah that's the problem. And while I haven't tried them, I kind of suspect the stock pickups are reasonably decent- at least for cheapish pickups- so you might have to spend at least a bit to get something much better. Maybe Entwistle? They're (based on very limited data points) the best of the cheaper ones, at least to my ears, although their build quality might not be the best...

I know I was making fun above but that Filtertron Tele is hard to resist (a few other ones too, like that SG you're looking at, just I don't have anything with Filtertrons so it's the obvious one which screams out to me). Similar problem- Filtertrons aren't that common so there aren't that many cheap replacement options (though to be honest I suspect even if there were, they might not be much better... again Entwistle maybe!). Even Catswhiskers you're talking £150 or so- and that's darn good value for handwound UK pickups, just to be clear, just that's more than the guitar!

Thanks for the heads-up...kind of tempted to try one of those single-P90 SG types...
    Yep that one too
  • Thanks @carlos for posting the link ... I am also now craving that DC600 VI SG :astonished: 

I was after a Yamaha Revstar with P90s but I'm thinking at this price it might be time to acquire an SG (I ain't got one) and install a set of 3 P90s ... need to do the numbers to decide.

Anybody got a good set of 3 P90s that they're not using or don't want any more? 

Has anybody got one of these HB SGs already?

Has anyone modded with P90s?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I use Warman guitars when I need pickups. Great prices and good quality. They dont use fancy packaging,and will do custom orders. Ie I wanted a bridge dogear p90 for a LPJ and they only offered pairs on their website. A quick email thread, price agreement and the pickup was here in a couple of days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    The great thing is that at these prices you're not worried about dints or even being stolen.  I quite like this one for £211:

Harley Benton SC-550 II Gotoh PAF

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_550_gotoh_paf_tribute.htm

Shame it doesn't have coil splits though. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    The great thing is that at these prices you're not worried about dints or even being stolen.  I quite like this one for £211:

Harley Benton SC-550 II Gotoh PAF

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_sc_550_gotoh_paf_tribute.htm

Shame it doesn't have coil splits though. 
    If it has 4 wire pickups is a simple mod. If not, is not expensive to get pickups and push pulls. I did that mod to my Dean V. A couple of hours work at the most.
    stufisher said:
    Thanks @carlos for posting the link ... I am also now craving that DC600 VI SG :astonished: 

I was after a Yamaha Revstar with P90s but I'm thinking at this price it might be time to acquire an SG (I ain't got one) and install a set of 3 P90s ... need to do the numbers to decide.

Anybody got a good set of 3 P90s that they're not using or don't want any more? 

Has anybody got one of these HB SGs already?

Has anyone modded with P90s?
    I've never tried any of the humbucker-sized ones, but I think it's pretty difficult to make humbucker-sized P90s which sound "right". Which usually means it's going to cost a fair bit of money. Which means you're likely to spend quite a bit more than the guitar cost. Which means it might be easier to just buy the guitar which already has the P90s...
    @Dave_Mc ;
    Get 3 of these? http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_004.htm
    I remember they sounded fantastic when I tried them
  • carlos said:
    @Dave_Mc ;
    I've got two of these you can have for 30 quid for the two. Chrome ones...
  • Thanks @chor808 but if I go ahead with the purchase then I'd need the gold ones to maintain the aesthetics of the guitar.

I'll contemplate for a bit yet as the sale is on for another three weeks :+1: 
  • I needed some sparkle in my life so I've got a sparkly purple Fusion on it's way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I do fancy one of the sc-550s. Anyone tried one....wonder how heavy they are....
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    chor808 said:
    I do fancy one of the sc-550s. Anyone tried one....wonder how heavy they are....
    I'd be interested too if anyone has one to share their thoughts on?>
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    chor808 said:
    I do fancy one of the sc-550s. Anyone tried one....wonder how heavy they are....
    I'd advise you to email gitarre@thomann.de
    They will reply same day usually.
    carlos said:
    @Dave_Mc ;
    I was a bit disappointed with the Irongears I tried unfortunately- admittedly not those ones (I tried the Smoke Stack tapped Strat pickups). But if @stufisher likes them, that's all that matters. Tonerider might also be worth a look- they're a little more money and I was a bit disappointed with them too, but I think I maybe preferred them to Irongear, though admittedly it's hard to compare vastly different models!
  • stufisher said:
    Thanks @chor808 but if I go ahead with the purchase then I'd need the gold ones to maintain the aesthetics of the guitar.

I'll contemplate for a bit yet as the sale is on for another three weeks :+1: 
    If Alegree do Old Timers or Dessert Dews in gold look no further. They are amazing.
  • Thanks @BigPaulie ... reading up on Alegree now and they could be the very chaps for me. I had never heard of them before ... every day is a school day :+1: 
  • Well ended up pulling the trigger on a DC-60 
    just went on to look and before you know it it’s ordered 

damn you The Fretboard 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 140
    No jazzmasters. Probably for the best, really eh? 

I’m not sure the jazzmaster I want even exists as a lower priced guitar and not a parts build or crazy expensive custom. 

HH, hard tail, output jack on the side not the front, no additional controls (volume and tone only). Super duper bonus points if it’s white body with maple fretboard and black block inlays. 
    PLOP said:
    No jazzmasters. Probably for the best, really eh? 

I’m not sure the jazzmaster I want even exists as a lower priced guitar and not a parts build or crazy expensive custom. 

HH, hard tail, output jack on the side not the front, no additional controls (volume and tone only). Super duper bonus points if it’s white body with maple fretboard and black block inlays. 
    These are all sub £200 but not exactly what you're looking for.
    https://harleybenton.com/electric-guitars/ja-models/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cig35Cig35 Frets: 61
    Well ended up pulling the trigger on a DC-60 

damn you The Fretboard 
    Nice, did you get the Native instruments guitar rig 7 LE download link directly? It looks like you should get that for “free” with most of the guitars.
  • Am I missing something? It says "Grab your next guitar, bass, pedal or accessory at an incredible price!" But I can't see any pedals or accessories in the sale...?

Not that I need to be buying any more, of course...
  • Well ended up pulling the trigger on a DC-60 

damn you The Fretboard 
    Be interested to know what the neck profile is like @mikeyrob73 ;
    stufisher said:
    Thanks @BigPaulie ... reading up on Alegree now and they could be the very chaps for me. I had never heard of them before ... every day is a school day :+1: 
    Yeah Alegrees are great- I haven't tried their P90s but their pickups I have tried (their handwound ones- I haven't tried their Old Timer range) have been excellent.

All the UK makers I've tried have been great. :)