Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Autumn tomorrow - when does the heating go on - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Autumn tomorrow - when does the heating go on

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
edited September 2023 in Off Topic tFB Trader
I've just come back from a week in Croatia - Early 30's during the day - Even 20's during the night - First night back in the UK and barely 9 last night, plus a host of washing to dry, so admit that last night I had the heating on just a touch 

But you feel it won't be to far away that the heating will be on at night time at least 

Good news is that there is still some light at 7ish so can still give the dog a good walk of his lead around 6ish
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Trying to get through to mid-October before using any heating! still in the 20's in the house but my converted garage is about 5°c colder because of the crap insulation. So might have to start using it in there next week!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I put the heating on in my office today; it was 15.5°C.

I can't type in gloves. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Nope, but I have finally been sleeping with the windows shut this week.  

it will be a couple of months before i turn on the heating yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader

I always sleep with the window open a touch, even mid winter and below zero - The only time I'll have it shut is if it is to wind and it keeps me awake - I'll shut the window during the day, but prefer some fresh air when asleep 

But brave man to go another 2 months or so and no heating
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Not until November 1st at the earliest!

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• When you consider our smart meter is reading nearly £1.20 due to the standing charge at seven o'clock in the morning, having used no gas and minimal electricity, I'll be hanging on as long as I can.

The robbing gits.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's time to turn your heating on when your morning pee freezes before it hits the bowl.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Our heating is always on, but the thermostat ensures it doesn’t start up until it’s needed (set at 20c in our main occupied room)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Sporky said:
    I put the heating on in my office today; it was 15.5°C.

I can't type in gloves. 
    My office is showing 22.4C at the moment but for some reason I feel far colder.

I hope I'm not getting a cold. Would be just my luck. End of hayfever season... straight into a cold.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229

I always sleep with the window open a touch, even mid winter and below zero - The only time I'll have it shut is if it is to wind and it keeps me awake - I'll shut the window during the day, but prefer some fresh air when asleep 

But brave man to go another 2 months or so and no heating
    There are trickle vents on all the windows which are open so there is still a little ventilation going on.
  • Winter PJs on in the evening now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I used to say never before 1 October, but now I just let the thermostat decide.

It's still pretty mild here in tropical South London, although it's been raining a lot. 

I find the weather usually becomes properly autumnal, and stays that way, during the London Film Festival - second week of October.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I had the central heating on yesterday to dry clothes. It’s been pissing down incessantly for the past few days so impossible to dry anything.  

We’ll try and resist as long as possible, although our house is cold most of the time. In summer it’s nice but in winter it’s not. We get ice on the inside of the windows. 

Single glazed sashes look nice but they’re not very practical. 

Last year our gas and electric came to just under 6k. It’s almost as much as our mortgage. I don’t want to repeat that. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    CHRISB50 said:

Mine don't, they're knackered and they look awful.  I'd love to get them replaced but it's such a hassle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    we live on a farm on the edge of N London (Hadley Wood )
    It's always 2 degrees colder because it's exposed ........but not in  a Pennines type way .
    We never put any heating on until end October and just seem to acclimatise to the colder nights .
    Cold at night is fine. Too cold to work isn't. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
     Philly_Q said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Mine don't, they're knackered and they look awful.  I'd love to get them replaced but it's such a hassle.
    We had ours reconditioned last year. They were all taken out, rebalanced, cracked pains replaced, routed, and brushes inserted to cut out some of the draft.

That part wasn't that bad as someone else did it.

I then rubbed them all down and repainted. That bit was a pain in the derriere. Particularly the 1st floor ones.

Allegedly they should be good for about 10 years or so but I think that's very optimistic.

I kind of wish we had double glazing / UPVC, but we live in a conservation area so have to get planning permission. The council seem to be turning down a lot of requests at the moment.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Id quite like to leave it another 2-3 weeks if possible.  Mid-late Oct would be my preference.  The problem I have is that once Mrs T puts it on its difficult to get her to turn it off again

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Yesterday.  Fuck being cold.  I don't care how much debt I get into, being warm is a basic human right and I'm not going to sit in a cold house no matter what.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    That's exactly the difference between the officers and the men....
    No decent Country House would consider putting heating on before Guy Fawkes night 
    Put a good jumper on and stop wittering 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Our heating goes on when we get too cold, which means it depends on what we’re doing. At the moment it looks as if it will be late October before we need the radiators. Like @mrkb we use a thermostat, so even it the heating is switched on it isn’t necessarily burning oil.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Don't think I've ever thought about switch my heating on at a predetermined date.
    Depends how cold it is. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    My Mother has been in hospital and, because it's been pissing with rain and anything hanging on a clothes horse in the house to dry still felt cold and damp, I put on the heating for an hour to dry the nighties that I have to wash and take back to her every second day.  I don't have a tumble dryer washing machine and haven't owned one for decades.  They just eat up the electricity.  I'm out of the house working at night so I haven't had the heating set to come on yet despite a few of the nights being chilly.  It's almost time for that though.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    If anyone is with E.on, you might want to think about changing your tariff.  I just saw this from Martin Lewis:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/09/e-on-next-launches-tracker-tariff-for-existing-customers-costing/

Guaranteed to be lower than the price cap.  You must pay by direct debit and have smart meters.

Dominic said:

No decent Country House would consider putting heating on before Guy Fawkes night 
    Neither would any true Scotsman, right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I let the thermostat decide, so we’ve had a few nights and early morning where it’s come on for a short period.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We need a boiler installed first.
  • My dehumidifier has been going constantly for months! 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I usually wait until…..I can’t stand the moaning any longer…. B)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I just had a communication from Octopus notifying of price reductions from October. The tariffs are lower than most other providers & you don't have to have a smart meter. My tariff is Flexible Octopus.
    I can't separate out my personal details from the PDF quote to post here, but you can find the details online, like here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/-are-there-any-cheap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/