Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I know a lot of people don't like musicals ..... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I know a lot of people don't like musicals .....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Shockheaded Peter was superb.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I have it on authority that K-Pop and J-Pop has proper musical harmony but I've not been brave enough to listen to it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    edited September 2023

Mind you that whole "two characters suddenly bursting into song out of nowhere" thing in musicals is hard to stomach! Hence my previous comment - they are great as long as i don't have to listen to them
    Ths is Rocket Man. It started off alright, and I thought, yeah, this looks good, then he goes into a pub on Saturday night, and yep bursts into song - fecking awful. Mind you, I'm not really a fan of the pub singer......

Second awful one - Bohemian Rhapsody. More utter shite. Mind you, again, I can't stand Queen either, so that was doomed from the off really
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    In fairness I'd differentiate between a musical and a film that has music. I've not seen much of Rocket Man (my parents had it on once and it seemed like a low budget cheesy bbc film) but it seemed more to be like a film that used music rather than the music actually telling the story if that makes sense?

Mind you that whole "two characters suddenly bursting into song out of nowhere" thing in musicals is hard to stomach! Hence my previous comment - they are great as long as i don't have to listen to them
    It's easier to bear when the songs are integrated into the movie plot - something like Cabaret is a good example. But if you are determined to go the full 'breaking into song' route, then go large...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAOmE-d2cY
  • JezWynd said:
    In fairness I'd differentiate between a musical and a film that has music. I've not seen much of Rocket Man (my parents had it on once and it seemed like a low budget cheesy bbc film) but it seemed more to be like a film that used music rather than the music actually telling the story if that makes sense?

It's easier to bear when the songs are integrated into the movie plot - something like Cabaret is a good example. But if you are determined to go the full 'breaking into song' route, then go large...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAOmE-d2cY

If you're talking about going large, you can't not mention Bollywood, they wrote the book on characters that suddenly burst into song.
  • Monty pythons holly grail is good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    sev112 said:
    Other Category 1s :
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Miss Saigon
    The King and I
    Sound of Music
    Oliver
    matilda
    West Side Story

Extending this :-prompted by thoughts above 

Category 1s
    Grease
    Sat Night Fever

Cat 2 
    Rocky Horror

Cat 3
    Disney
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
  • I like some musicals but mainly classic Hollywood stuff. I can't stand the Lloyd Webber stuff with stolen classical themes and faux rock. I don't like the juke box musicals either (We Will Rock You,etc)which are neither one thing or the other. 
    Certainly the craft in a musical can be outstanding, I was enthralled by Les Mis at the theatre but not interested in listening to the music at home. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break.