Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Zemaitis - anyone got or had one? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Zemaitis - anyone got or had one?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
edited September 2023 in Guitar
In my continuing window shopping for potential cool shit to buy I keep coming back to Zemaitis. Not least because they're MIJ and the yen is really low right now.

Anyone got one or had one or played one for more than 10 mins? Does anyone understand the range and model names? 

I'm mostly thinking 24-fret, ebony-board metal tops but any experiences would be great!~

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    They sort of pass through the eye of the fugly needle and land in the palace of enlightenment. I've always liked the look of them
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    They sort of pass through the eye of the fugly needle and land in the palace of enlightenment. I've always liked the look of them
    That's a great description. Not handsome like a Les Paul or pretty like a Strat, and really should be gaudy. But somehow they avoid that and just look awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I used to have a Zematis electric - which was 22 frets not 24, and still have one of his acoustics.  Though mine are older ones that where made in England, in Kent I believe, and not made in Japan.  So I don't really understand the range and models, as mine where ''prototypes'' which I believe Anthony called all the guitars he made.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    The local shop was a stockist, not sure if they still are. 

They always seemed nicely made to me, but do look a bit clinical next to the originals hand made by Tony 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 411
    I remember reading an interview with Ron Wood, who used to regularly play them in the 70s. He said they were great until you got past the 12th fret and then the intonation was all over the shop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    WezV said:

They always seemed nicely made to me, but do look a bit clinical next to the originals hand made by Tony 

Are the MIJ ones hand engraved?  The ones Tony made I believe where, though not by him, I think it might if been one of his mates or customers that did the engraving for him.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    longjaw said:
    He said they were great until you got past the 12th fret and then the intonation was all over the shop.
    You mean people actually play past the 12th fret? Gosh! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    WezV said:

Are the MIJ ones hand engraved?  The ones Tony made I believe where, though not by him, I think it might if been one of his mates or customers that did the engraving for him.
    they are not as far as I am aware.

Original engravings were done by Danny O'Brien who has more recently done some for Newman guitars
    https://newmanguitars.com/engravedseries
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The modern ones are made by Gotoh so I can't imagine they ever have problems with intonation. 

I'm not certain on the engraving. I know they're engraved in the factory based on designs by Danny Obrien, but I'm not sure if that's by hand or CNC
    edited September 2023
    The modern ones are made by Gotoh so I can't imagine they ever have problems with intonation. 

I'm not certain on the engraving. I know they're engraved in the factory based on designs by Danny Obrien, but I'm not sure if that's by hand or CNC
    I think some have his name on because they are using his design, some don't.   

They don't look to be hand engraved to me.  Tends to be thicker, consistent lines and a darker colour

this is a MIJ, with hand engraved plates done by Danny in theJapanese custom shop
    https://reverb.com/item/15548620-zemaitis-custom-shop-metal-front-danny-o-brien-engraved-mermaid

And this is an O'Brien design on a factory model, which i assume was not done by hand
    https://www.gasstationguitars.com/product-page/zemaitis-very-rare-japanese-built-60th-anniversary-danny-o-brien-a24-mf

zeng.PNG 659.5K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    The modern ones are made by Gotoh so I can't imagine they ever have problems with intonation. 

They don't look to be hand engraved to me.  Tends to be thicker, consistent lines and a darker colour
    Yeah, I agree, esp given the price point. I feel like they'd be at least 1k more if hand-done
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    WezV said:

Your right the original Tony Zemaitis guitar were hand engrave by a guy who used to engrave hunting rifles so if you wanted something special you could have it done.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    longjaw said:
    I remember reading an interview with Ron Wood, who used to regularly play them in the 70s. He said they were great until you got past the 12th fret and then the intonation was all over the shop.
    I've played a couple of original models and surprised he thinks they were good up to the 12th fret - I thought they were awful to play - Look cool as hell, but nothing fantastic regarding playability and build quality - We have many fine custom builders around today and they would not get away with such standards today and keep their reputation

I've played and sold various replicas over the last 20 years, or so, and they are far better built and far more consistent regarding playability - I'm not sure it is the type of guitar you'd buy as your many instrument, so a nice luxury to use as and when - A bit like a Trussart - As it happens I've played and sold more Trussart's and prefer them regarding playability and feel - Again I'm not so sure they could ever be your main guitar, but great to have as fun, if you can justify it 
  • WezV said:

this is a MIJ, with hand engraved plates done by Danny in theJapanese custom shop
    https://reverb.com/item/15548620-zemaitis-custom-shop-metal-front-danny-o-brien-engraved-mermaid

And this is an O'Brien design on a factory model, which i assume was not done by hand
    https://www.gasstationguitars.com/product-page/zemaitis-very-rare-japanese-built-60th-anniversary-danny-o-brien-a24-mf

Oh that's a bonnie guitar.
  • @stickyfiddle ; - I've got two of the newer ones - a 24 fret metal front and a pearl front - they are both great guitars. On balance I prefer the metal front due to the pickups being slightly hotter.

They are not direct LP replacements as they are both thinner (about 4cm vs LP’s 6cm) than a full fat LP and have a slightly longer scale length at 25 inches, rather than 24.75.

Let me know what you want to know and I’ll see if I can help – I don’t understand the range either mind you…

• The modern ones are made by Gotoh so I can't imagine they ever have problems with intonation. 
    Isn't is Greco that make them? Though Gotoh would also make sense, given the required machining and metalwork!
    Isn't is Greco that make them? Though Gotoh would also make sense, given the required machining and metalwork!
    Sorry yes you're right. Brainfart on my part because I'd just looked at some that had Gotoh tuners.
  • @stickyfiddle ; - I've got two of the newer ones - a 24 fret metal front and a pearl front - they are both great guitars. On balance I prefer the metal front due to the pickups being slightly hotter.

They are not direct LP replacements as they are both thinner (about 4cm vs LP’s 6cm) than a full fat LP and have a slightly longer scale length at 25 inches, rather than 24.75.

Let me know what you want to know and I’ll see if I can help – I don’t understand the range either mind you…

Ta - that's good to know. I assume they're closer to an SG than LP sound-wise because of the thinner body and no maple. 

My main question is on neck profiles more than anything. I have it in my head that they have a bit of a generic "slim Japanese D", but that's based on literally putting my hand around one in a shop several years ago and not even playing it properly. 

• I've played and sold various replicas over the last 20 years, or so, and they are far better built and far more consistent regarding playability - I'm not sure it is the type of guitar you'd buy as your many instrument, so a nice luxury to use as and when - A bit like a Trussart - As it happens I've played and sold more Trussart's and prefer them regarding playability and feel - Again I'm not so sure they could ever be your main guitar, but great to have as fun, if you can justify it 
    This is kind of my assumption. Currently I'm mostly playing bass but step onto guitar for 3-4 songs in a typical set. And I don't mind being a little bit flashy when I do that :)
    tFB Trader

@stickyfiddle ; - I've got two of the newer ones - a 24 fret metal front and a pearl front - they are both great guitars. On balance I prefer the metal front due to the pickups being slightly hotter.

Ta - that's good to know. I assume they're closer to an SG than LP sound-wise because of the thinner body and no maple. 

My main question is on neck profiles more than anything. I have it in my head that they have a bit of a generic "slim Japanese D", but that's based on literally putting my hand around one in a shop several years ago and not even playing it properly. 
    Tend to be closer to the SG61 profile rather than a LP50's profile - Again kind of a PRS wide/thin profile - Sure they are 43mm (1 11/16) nut width, but less meat on the back - so yes more slim rather than chunky
  • When I saw the thread title I was begining to google 'skin complaints' while expecting some kind of cream to treat it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stanstan Frets: 182
    I went to buy an original one many years ago and was amazed at how crudely it was made.  it looked the biz rock `n roll looks wise but apart from the engraving , it seemed to be such a poor quality guitar. maybe it was an `early` one or something ...who knows but a big disappointment nevertheless.  the new ones look vastly better made and i`m tempted to check them out.
    tFB Trader
    stan said:
    I went to buy an original one many years ago and was amazed at how crudely it was made.  it looked the biz rock `n roll looks wise but apart from the engraving , it seemed to be such a poor quality guitar. maybe it was an `early` one or something ...who knows but a big disappointment nevertheless.  the new ones look vastly better made and i`m tempted to check them out.
    Echo's my experience of an original example - Not that I've had an interest in buying one - But have seen a couple for sale in the past, plus recall a customer bringing one into the shop for my opinion of one, that he had recently purchased - As you say, the 'engraving' is the guitars finest attribute - The playability and build quality was poor - As I mentioned earlier, todays luthiers would not get away with such poor issues, thanks to media channels, etc etc 
  • If you are into engraving, then you’ll note that the quality of the engraving work on Zemaitis guitars is probably in line with the observations made above about the overall guitar themselves…
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    Dunsy has had a couple of Zemaitis guitars and done interesting videos on them.
    https://youtu.be/XXyI-ZEOT2Y?feature=shared
  • JanahanJanahan Frets: 23
    I've had a plain black one with 24 frets for about 10 years and think it's great. Stays in tune really well and when I took it to a guitar tech he said that everything inside was impeccable. Got mine from GuitarGuitar, who I believe had taken the stock from another shop which had closed down.

For those that like Dunsy's videos and/or playing, check out The Joyriders. "King of Gasoline" is a cracking EP.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited October 2023
    In all my guitar travels I've not only never played one, but I've never actually seen one in the flesh. Quite an uncommon guitar I think, and the only famous player I can immediately think of that played one is Ronnie Wood. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Haven’t had a Zemaitis, although was very tempted by a cheap one guitarguitar was selling a few years back. However, that led to my tracking down Teye guitars and I had a lovey el Platero for a while. They are very blatantly inspired by Zemaitis and Teye does own a couple of originals. Like everything they’ve gone up in prices lot, but damn good guitars and have that 70s Stones/Faces mojo in spades. Worth a look if you come across one at a sensible price.
  • Haven’t had a Zemaitis, although was very tempted by a cheap one guitarguitar was selling a few years back. However, that led to my tracking down Teye guitars and I had a lovey el Platero for a while. They are very blatantly inspired by Zemaitis and Teye does own a couple of originals. Like everything they’ve gone up in prices lot, but damn good guitars and have that 70s Stones/Faces mojo in spades. Worth a look if you come across one at a sensible price.

McSwain is another brand I'd highly recommend anybody interested in a Zemaitis or Zemaitis inspired designs, though they are quite a lot more expensive than Zemaitis, and a good £1k more expensive than Teye guitars, not to mention a lot harder to get hold of.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    Voxman said:
    In all my guitar travels I've not only never played one, but I've never actually seen one in the flesh. Quite an uncommon guitar I think, and the only famous player I can immediately think of that played one is Ronnie Wood. 
    The late great James Honeyman Scott used to use one fairly regularly I believe: