Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bottom Exposed, as Adrian Edmondson recalls Rik Mayall - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bottom Exposed, as Adrian Edmondson recalls Rik Mayall

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295

I wish I'd drawn these but they were done my good friend Sean – here seems a good place to share (and plug) his work again. His instagram is below if you'd like to see more of what he does.

https://www.instagram.com/seanrtaylorart/?img_index=1
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Moloch said:
    Penn said:
    Christ, he acted Davies off the screen there. Not that that was a particularly high bar in this instance, but Mayall was superb in that.
    Yes he was brilliant. One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We were only talking about Rik at band practice last night. I unashamedly loved the guy, he was my hero throughout adolescence and beyond. I lapped it all up, even Filthy Rich and Catflap. Bottom was great but owes a massive debt to Jolly and Filthy. Rik as Colin Grigson in Bad News is probably my highlight but mainly because I've watched it hundreds of times: "Anyway, who's playing at Castle Donnington, me or you?  Hmm?  It's me, isn't it?"

Ade's autobiography is out imminently - there should be some great stuff in there. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited September 2023
    I went and saw Bottom being recorded once. 

Have this on my wall. He's truly one of my very few heroes. His autobiography is hilarious.

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Come to think of it, I can't think of anyone who didn't like Rik. I honestly believe the entire nation loved him and perhaps those from further afield did too. What a truly missed bloke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Bottom is the Fine Art of comedy 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    @beed84 those drawings are great

I got this mug today

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shugz said:
    And absolute classic which me and some of my childhood mates still quite regularly 

let’s play a game 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shugzshugz Frets: 758
    Not Fatty's game......

www.proudhoney.com

@roberty thank you, I'll be sure to pass on the feedback  :) Now I need to go and find one of those mugs!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    beed84 said:
    @roberty thank you, I'll be sure to pass on the feedback  :) Now I need to go and find one of those mugs!
    Etsy, was sensibly priced too. And it came with a biscuit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I listened to Ade’s desert island discs recently, and found it/him a bit sad……not in the “you old sad git” but he sounded a bit sad with his lot (apart from his family)…I live near him, and always thought it would be cool to have Vivian as a mate…. =)
  • I went to see him at The Lowry on Sunday night (he’s doing a tour promoting his new book). The show was often funny and occasionally quite dark. 

I loved Rik Mayall from the moment I saw Kevin Turvey. The two of them are my all time comedy heroes. The impression I got of Edmondson is that he’s not entirely happy to be remembered for hitting his friend with a frying pan. He really needs to embrace his legacy - they were exceptionally good at it…
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    There were some extracts from Ade’s book in the times recently. In summary it looks like after the quad bike accident, Rick was never quite himself. He took to the booze a little too much and became the famous ‘Rik’ increasingly frequently- to Ade’s annoyance which is why they stopped working together. Real shame and the way I read it, Ade just wanted is best mate back. 

Lord Flash was another great character 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    I’m an admirer of Rik’s work albeit I find it hit and miss. However when he got it right it was usually genius stuff.

He could even tell nursery rhymes better than any other human. Those with kids should check this out. My daughter loved it when she was young.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zPd26Y9v04I&pp=ygUZMyBsaXR0bGUgcGlncyByaWNrIG1heWFsbA%3D%3D
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    After following this thread, I watched an episode of The New Statesman over the week. (S1 E2). It's pretty much how I remembered it, not all that good, and not really representative of what Mayall could do. But then it was written by Marks and Gran and I don't think I've ever liked anything they did.
    stevebrum said:
    I’m an admirer of Rik’s work albeit I find it hit and miss. However when he got it right it was usually genius stuff.

He could even tell nursery rhymes better than any other human. Those with kids should check this out. My daughter loved it when she was young.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zPd26Y9v04I&pp=ygUZMyBsaXR0bGUgcGlncyByaWNrIG1heWFsbA%3D%3D
    You were right. I went to check a snippet of it and ended up listening to it all. Wonderful storytelling. 
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Absolutely - I can listen to that as an adult and be pulled in - it is, as you say, wonderful. 
  • Ade Edmondson is an excellent serious actor.

edited October 2023
    Rik's Honorary Doctorate is definitely worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen it. I've just watched it again and his five mantras for life were worth hearing for another time. Challenging times at the moment, so just the tonic I need:

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    edited October 2023
    I went to see him at The Lowry on Sunday night (he’s doing a tour promoting his new book). The show was often funny and occasionally quite dark. 

I loved Rik Mayall from the moment I saw Kevin Turvey. The two of them are my all time comedy heroes. The impression I got of Edmondson is that he’s not entirely happy to be remembered for hitting his friend with a frying pan. He really needs to embrace his legacy - they were exceptionally good at it…
    I'm just finishing Ade's book - it's pretty dark in places but he clearly loved Rik dearly.  

Amazingly Ade was writing Bad News Tour during the recording of the 1st Young Ones series - he's at great pains to point out he only acted in it and it was only 14 weeks of his life. 

Edit: All finished, now. If you like Rik and Ade this book is indispensable - the chapter on Rik's untimely passing genuinely had me in tears. I won't go any further to avoid spoiling it. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"