Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bottom Exposed, as Adrian Edmondson recalls Rik Mayall - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bottom Exposed, as Adrian Edmondson recalls Rik Mayall

What's Hot
That classic uk comedy is getting a documentary.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7540/bottom-exposed-documentary/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    My all time favourite comedy. This is great news!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I never new rik mayall was dead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    SpoonMan said:
    I never new rik mayall was dead. 
    It's tragic. I think about it a lot tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SpoonMan said:
    Haven’t you heard? Rik is dead. The people’s poet is dead! 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    SpoonMan said:
    It's tragic. I think about it a lot tbh
    It still bothers me, too. 
  • God yeah ... taken far too young ... I still remember him as Kevin Turvey - Investigative Reporter from way back.

Amazing talent and gift for comedy :anguished: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stufisher said:
    God yeah ... taken far too young ... I still remember him as Kevin Turvey - Investigative Reporter from way back.

Amazing talent and gift for comedy :anguished: 
    Yep - I first encountered Rik as Kevin Turvey too. Had me in stitches and still does.

There’s a fab BBC doc called ‘the Lord of Mis-rule’ that charts his whole career. Lot’s of affection from those who loved him. Which seems to be pretty much everyone.

An amazing inspiration.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    I heard an interview with Ade on the radio the other day talking about him and Rik and how they started out. Poor bloke just broke down when it came to discussing Rik's death, it devastated him. They were as close as brothers. They're slap stick comedy was peerless.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sounds interesting. Didn’t know, but could’ve suspected, Rik got carried away with the booze and bored of playing in character. As much as I liked Bottom, it doesn’t top the Young Ones (but very little does anyway!) Glad to see it’s happening. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
     This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say: "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say: "Haven't you heard? Rik is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    I liked The New Statesman, Alan B'Stard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ade was on Desert Island Discs the other day talking about much of this. I've never really known anything about him other than his comic persona so it was quite interesting hear him talk about what was a slightly odd childhood as well as all the problems with Rik. 
    Nigel Planer was on the RHLSTP podcast recently and Richard Herring was making the contrast between him being happy to talk about The Young Ones and Ade who resents, to some extent, being dragged back there as he does say on DID. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • @EricTheWeary Thanks for this. 
  • Penn said:
    Man Down was a brilliant show 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I didn't like Bottom at all, he was superb in Man Down though, one of my fave comedies of the past 10 or so years.

Terribly sad that we lost him way too soon. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I agree,Man Down and New Statesman were superb.
    I thought that Bottom was absolute rubbish ,slapstick ,unfunny British Comedy at it's best.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Bad News is still one of the best things ever. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great to see so many people like and miss Bottom and Rik. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 351
    Reverend said:
    Bad News is still one of the best things ever. 
    I could play stairway to heaven when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn’t even write it till he was 22. I think that says a lot. ;) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    The best poetry, care of Rik:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I really liked the young ones, bottom was alright, better than filthy rich and catflap, I think.

I've noticed AE in some different rolls lately. "Rain dogs" (?) was quite good.

I enjoyed "man down" too. Greg Davies' stuff is usually not bad. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I remember seeing him in 20th Century Coyote.

Young Ones - brilliant and groundbreaking . Bottom - fantastic.

Rik and Ade were the finest physical comedians of their age. Some of the stuff in Bottom, helped by excellent sound effects, was brilliant. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 758
    edited September 2023

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bad news at Reading - a total experience!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That desert island discs with Ade was wonderful. 
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 675
    Penn said:
    Christ, he acted Davies off the screen there. Not that that was a particularly high bar in this instance, but Mayall was superb in that.
  • Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    scrumhalf said:
    I remember seeing him in 20th Century Coyote.

Young Ones - brilliant and groundbreaking . Bottom - fantastic.

Rik and Ade were the finest physical comedians of their age. Some of the stuff in Bottom, helped by excellent sound effects, was brilliant. 
    I miss Rik Mayall.

Growing up with the Young Ones, just brilliant. Sharp jokes, fast-timed slapstick, endless toilet gags. Perfect. Also the first time I ever saw Motorhead so there's that to thank them for too.

Bottom was just as good - for long stretches of those episodes it was just the two of them which is no mean feat to pull off. The live shows were fantastic.
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Sassafras said:
    I liked The New Statesman, Alan B'Stard.
    He was superb in this too. Just the right level of greasy and sleazy. Feels like we're seeing life imitating art these days :lol: