Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). MiM Fender strat vs upgraded Squier strat - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

MiM Fender strat vs upgraded Squier strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Good shout about QC, but as I normally buy second hand that gets somewhat diluted. Most of my guitars are Made in China, "upgraded" in England

I've been eyeing a MiM strat in the last couple of days. The Fender website says it has "Standard Single-Coil Strat®" and vintage sized frets. But the frets look rather large on the pictures (?). And the pickups might be ceramic. Seller says they are hot, and the pole pieces seem to follow fretboard radius (I though staggered pole pieces were a good thing to have on strat pups?).
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    Yorkie said:
    Good shout about QC, but as I normally buy second hand that gets somewhat diluted. Most of my guitars are Made in China, "upgraded" in England

I've been eyeing a MiM strat in the last couple of days. The Fender website says it has "Standard Single-Coil Strat®" and vintage sized frets. But the frets look rather large on the pictures (?). And the pickups might be ceramic. Seller says they are hot, and the pole pieces seem to follow fretboard radius (I though staggered pole pieces were a good thing to have on strat pups?).

If you get the serial number you can get the exact specs of the guitar from Fender's serial number checker, though it's not 100% accurate, one of mine that I looked up shows my guitar, however the specs state it is 3 single coils instead of HSS, and the image that Fender shows you for the serial number is of a HSS Strat, which incidentally is a MIM Strat that came stock with locking tuners and rolled fretboard edges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yorkie said:

If you get the serial number you can get the exact specs of the guitar from Fender's serial number checker, though it's not 100% accurate, one of mine that I looked up shows my guitar, however the specs state it is 3 single coils instead of HSS.
    That's what I've done. It says it has "Standard Single-Coil Strat®". Fuck knows what those are. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• Yorkie said:
    Yorkie said:

If you get the serial number you can get the exact specs of the guitar from Fender's serial number checker, though it's not 100% accurate, one of mine that I looked up shows my guitar, however the specs state it is 3 single coils instead of HSS.
    That's what I've done. It says it has "Standard Single-Coil Strat®". Fuck knows what those are. 

That is interesting, I have no idea what ''Standard Single-Coil Strat®'' pickups are, nor what Fender mean by it - I've been trying to find out for a few hours now, it's also an issue I'm having with the MIM Fender that I ran the serial number for through Fender's serial number checker that I'm considering selling next, as mentioned the serial number checker shows photos of a HSS Strat, but the specs on the page says it's a SSS Strat, and give the specs for the 3 single coils, which are correct for the middle and neck pickup but not the bridge one, which according to some documents I received with the guitar the bridge pickup should be a ''Fender Hot Rod Humbucker'', but can I find any information regarding the ''Fender Hot Rod Humbucker'', hell no, I'm at the stage now where I'm going to email Fender about it, to see if they will give me more information about the bridge pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I started rewiring my Squier strat while my kids were busy playing video games last night but ran out of time. No idea how long this will take me, so I’ve pulled the trigger on the fairly priced MiM strat I had been eyeing. 

NGD coming soon: 2008 standard Strat in black, Fender locking tuners (I’ve also got the original ones in a bag), maple neck and fingerboard… all for £290. 

Jon

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    @Yorkie ;
    good gas, that will be nice
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Classic Vibe Squiers are very good, but MIM Fender are better in my experience. I’ve had a a couple of Squier CVs and a fair few MIM Classic Series, Classic Player, Vintera and Road Worn.

There’s some good deals to be had if you shop around, my brother in law got just got a Baja Tele for £400 off eBay, and my latest MIM purchase is the below Classic 60s Tele which was also £400 with Bare Knuckle pickups, again off eBay.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    I can’t do a full NGD yet because, having generated an interesting discussion here, I feel like I need to go through the internals and compare it to my (rather nice) early 2000s Squier strat. 

Some preliminary thoughts: feels nicer, more physically balanced, the neck is extremely comfortable, and the pickups sound warm and almost Hi-Fi. Pretty sure they’re ceramic. My homemade Orange Squeezer is very sensitive to input volume and these pickups send it into compression effortlessly. What the heck do I do now with the Squier? 

Coming back to this. I want to change the pickguard at some point to either white or parchment, as at the moment the guitar is all black and I'm not keen. 

I've looked at prices for Fender pickguards online, and have noticed a big gap with third party ones (expected). I've also noticed that Fender themselves sell loaded pickguards. Bearing in mind that I might want to keep some authenticity in case I ended up selling this guitar (last thing on my mind right now, but life sometimes gets in the way), I have looked at the £125 Tex Mex AlNiCo V set as upgrading pups and electronics vs spending £30 on just a pickguard.  

Does anybody have experience with those Tex Mex sets? I know the difference between ceramic and AlNiCo V, and the sound I like is much closer to AlNiCo, so a pup change was always on the cards. 

Thanks,
    Jon

• Except for the really cheap ones like Affinity or Bullet series today´s Squiers can be really good guitars. I´d have loved to get that much guitar for the money back when I got going!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited October 2023
    Fender Tex-Mex pickups are mildly overwound coils around Alnico 5 rod magnets. So, hotter than period correct AND, to my ears, a tad harsh.

In the general scheme of things, Bare Knuckle pickups ought to be superior the Fender mid-price pair. The downside with BKP is that, although they are well made, the model(s) in your guitar might not suit your requirements.

Having slagged off overwound T-style pickups, I must disclose that I am currently greatly enjoying Alegree Texan Dustdevil and Texas Hailstorm pickups in a 2006 Squier Standard Telecaster. Sort of, Yardbirds-era Jeff Beck meets SRV.

Oil City Pickups does a whole bunch of T-style replacement pickups - some of which I am using in one of my guitars right now.

Mojo has a good reputation on this forum.
    Be seeing you.
    Fender Tex-Mex pickups are mildly overwound coils around Alnico 5 rod magnets. So, hotter than period correct AND, to my ears, a tad harsh.

In the general scheme of things, Bare Knuckle pickups ought to be superior the Fender mid-price pair. The downside with BKP is that, although they are well made, the model(s) in your guitar might not suit your requirements.

Having slagged off overwound T-style pickups, I must disclose that I am currently greatly enjoying Alegree Texan Dustdevil and Texas Hailstorm pickups in a 2006 Squier Standard Telecaster. Sort of, Yardbirds-era Jeff Beck meets SRV.

Oil City Pickups does a whole bunch of T-style replacement pickups - some of which I am using in one of my guitars right now.

Mojo has a good reputation on this forum.
    As always, thanks for adding your thoughts to pickup discussions. I very much enjoy learning from you and others here.

I should have edited the thread title. The discussion was about Squier and Fender, but the original motivation and the guitar I've ended up getting is a strat.

Anyone tried the SSS Tex Mex set? 

• I've got a Vintera bass, a Player bass, and a Squier 40th Anniversary bass.

The Vintera is the best of the three, but at around 4x the price of the Squier you'd be worried if it wasn't. 

Of the Player and the Squier, the Fender has marginally better hardware (tuners / bridge etc) and the electronics are definitely better. But all of those can be upgraded - and the bare building blocks of the squier are fantastic. The neck in particular is a joy to a play. 

I'm putting aftermarket pickups in and won't be looking back. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Yorkie said:
    I have, I’m generally a cleaner end of the spectrum player and I prefer fat 50s and the 57/62 fender pickups. The Tex max were fine though and sound really good with more gain if that’s your thing. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Yorkie said:
    I owned a Fender MIM Tex-Mex Stratocaster HSS. The humbucker was not especially hot. Basically a copy of the Pearly Gates Plus. 

I found the instrument lacking in character until I changed the pickups to, first, Lace Sensors and, later, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros and a Twangbanger.

IIRC, the Tex-Mex single coil pickups had plastic bobbins. To my ears, this always detracts from the sound.
    Be seeing you.
    Yorkie said:
    IIRC, the Tex-Mex single coil pickups had plastic bobbins. To my ears, this always detracts from the sound.
    What material would be preferable?

I’ve just had a look at the pickups on my MiM strat. Without measuring, I would say that all three have the same spacing between pole pieces. As a result, the high and low E strings are completely misaligned with respect to their pole pieces. Like very far away. 

Any idea? 

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    To be honest I think that's pretty normal. The MIM strat has a 52.5mm bridge rather than the US 56.5'ish. The pickups will likely all have a 52mm spacing which is 'standard' Fender - some vendors do pickups with a 50mm spacing which will make the pole pieces line up with the strings better on the neck pickup. I think the general wisdom is that that while it might look better it makes pretty much no difference to the sound. The pickup guru's will probably be along shortly.
    But… if staggering pole pieces is important, then surely such a large deviation has to matter? 

• HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    Believe the magnetic field is such that vertical displacement of the string is more sensitive than horizontal. Bending a string on the high frets moves the string well away from its "home" pole piece.