Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So, who can beat me? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So, who can beat me?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Two: news journalists Rippon 'n Krishnan
    Now I've read the names I'll add Les Dennis in his bleach washed photo - the rest I never even heard of.
    Krishnan Guru Murthy is a big music fan and plays guitar very well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    TTony said:
    To be fair, by the time you exclude all the past contestants (how many years has this been running), those for whom you'd not get life insurance cover (I believe it can get quite active), and celebrities who might be exposed mid-series as Brand-esque, you've probably not got many properly famous people left ...
    Started 2004, apparently, and tbf celebrities didn't stop becoming celebs 19 years ago. :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Brio said:
    I did think Annablel Croft’s photo was Kirstie Alley but then remembered how old she is now (and what she looks like now.)
    I hope you're sitting down, this may come as a shock... Kirstie Alley died last year.  No Cheers reunion.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    I only recognised 2, Angela Ripon and Les Dennis
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 4926
    Less Dennis and Angela Rippon were the only two that I recognised - if I'd have looked a bit closer, I'd have recognised and named Annabel Croft, I reckon, but the rest of them were a complete bloody mystery to me.
    Call me Dave.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Us real oldies all recognise Angela Rippon and Les Dennis! To be honest they were both in the limelight a long time ago.

Nobody my age will forget Angela on the Morcambe & Wise show, one of the iconic 70s TV moments! 
  • axisus said:
    Us real oldies all recognise Angela Rippon and Les Dennis! To be honest they were both in the limelight a long time ago.

Nobody my age will forget Angela on the Morcambe & Wise show, one of the iconic 70s TV moments! 
    One does not have to be old to know that moment.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    TBF those pictures have had a lot of virtual vaseline on the lens!

I could probably get the 4 oldies - Not sure I'd even remember Annabel Croft, but once her name's mentioned it's easy enough.

Jade Goodie's son? Bloody hell!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Philly_Q said:
    Brio said:
    I did think Annablel Croft’s photo was Kirstie Alley but then remembered how old she is now (and what she looks like now.)
    I hope you're sitting down, this may come as a shock... Kirstie Alley died last year.  No Cheers reunion.
    I actually felt a teeny twinge at that one. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Two: Angela Rippon and Krishnan Guru-Murthy. Three, if "Her out of that thing" counts as a positive identification for Amanda Abbington. 
  • Kilgore said:
    Bobby Brazier is Jade Goody's son. Who I'm sure many will remember.
    And is Brazier his real name, or is his talent the ability to hold a scoopful of burning coals in his mouth?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    The only one I recognised was Keir Starmer (bottom row in the middle)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sassafras said:
    Maybe when they make the Keir Starmer biopic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Sassafras said:

Only if we got him from an alternative reality where he ceased to age and took up hypnosis instead.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Damn, who's next? Cozy Powell?  (That one is for the Singletrackworld posse.)
  • I remember Jade Goodie from Big Brother partly because she gave an on screen blow job to a chap I share the same initials as. Not much of a claim to fame admittedly (for him or me). After BB was on Channel 4 it would go to the Graham Norton show and he would make horrible pig jokes about her. The cuddly image he has portrayed in later years does slightly rankle with me because of that.  Maybe I'll vote for Bobby as an anti Graham Norton protest. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    Brio said:
    Well there you go, you may not watch TV or know who celebrities are, but I have absolutely no idea what Singletrackworld is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Don't worry, you're in the majority.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    The four you knew, plus Angela Scanlon, who was on the Robot Wars reboot a few years ago.
  • Angela Rippon has a bit of a head start on her training - she danced on Morecambe and Wise’s show about 84 years ago

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited September 2023
    Middle of bottom row looks like a less wooden version of Sir Kier Starmer when he was younger and better looking.
    Edit - ah, just spotted I was beaten to it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    A clean sweep for me. I don't recognise all 15.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:
    Brio said:
    Well there you go, you may not watch TV or know who celebrities are, but I have absolutely no idea what Singletrackworld is.
    It is for hot eligible racy single males like yourself...
    edited September 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    Brio said:
    It is for hot eligible racy single males like yourself...
    I think, Sir, you may have mistaken me for someone else.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I recognised only the newsreader but did not know his name. I don't have a TV because normal people scare me. I'm quite cut off from the world of entertainment
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Apart from Angela Ripon, I recognised (but couldn't name) the newsreader chap, and the one in the middle used to be in Emmerdale (Our Maud being a regular viewer).

The one you're all saying is Les Dennis?  I thought it was John Inman.  Turns out he's been dead or 16 years...

• I dont recognise any of them. I thought I recognised one as a news guy but its not him.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    edited September 2023
    5 - I know their names. Angela Rippon, Les Dennis, Annabel Croft, Krishan Guru Murphy, Angela Scanlon.

4 - I know their faces but don't know their names. bird at top left was on the maltesers advert, bloke at the bottom middle used to be on eastenders, bloke in the very middle is/was on emmerdale, brother of that annoying bloke that used to be on coronation street, bird on the right is off of coronation street.

6 - I genuinely don't know, and wouldn't look twice if they passed me on the street.
  • drofluf said:
    I got 3. What do I win? 

6Music have been running a trailer for “Celebrity race round the world “ it’s a measure of how out of touch I am that I hadn’t heard of any of them. 

I saw the start of that last night. I sort of knew who they were when they were explained to me, their numbers bulked out by relatives. After twenty minutes I lost all interest and watched campervans on YouTube instead. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Brio said:
    Oh no, it'll be Joe Cocker next!