Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So, who can beat me? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So, who can beat me?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
OK so I'm an old fogey who doesn't keep up with the modern world so much. I saw the latest Strictly come dancing celebrity list, and of the 15 I only recognise four of them: Angela Rippon, Les Dennis, Annabel Croft and Krishnan Guru-Murthy. All the rest I have no clue who they are or what they are known for. I hasten to add that I see this as my failing rather than questioning their celeb status!

So who know more of them than me? and who knows less!?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited September 2023
    I knew Amanda (Sherlock and ex-wife of Tim from The Office), Layton (...Jamie - an amazing performer), and Nigel (Eastenders) in addition to those that you knew. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My brother in law last Saturday " hopefully next season they'll do a celebrity strictly " 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's 4 more than me, they should really think about how good a job their PR and publicist teams are doing, and if they are actually doing their jobs and providing value for the money, they are most definitely being over payed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I don't know any of them. Pretty sure the guy with a pink tie is a newsreader, but I wouldn't know his name.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I got 3. What do I win? 

6Music have been running a trailer for “Celebrity race round the world “ it’s a measure of how out of touch I am that I hadn’t heard of any of them. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited September 2023
    I only know a couple more than you. Angela Scanlon hosts that BBC home improvement show where they wear the reality goggle things. Nigel Harman has been around for years doing various soaps. I don’t know most of the younger ones as they’re mostly from reality tv or music shows and I never watch them. 
  • I knew Amanda (Sherlock and ex-wife of Tim from The Office), Layton (...Jamie - an amazing performer), and Nigel (Eastenders) in addition to those that you knew. 
    That's 1 I know, she's top left, looks very different to what she looked like in Sherlock as Dr Watson's wife.

• I knew Amanda (Sherlock and ex-wife of Tim from The Office), Layton (...Jamie - an amazing performer), and Nigel (Eastenders) in addition to those that you knew. 
    That's 1 I know, she's top left, looks very different to what she looked like in Sherlock as Dr Watson's wife.

Long time ago that show! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I think I knew about 8 of them, and maybe one or two more in an "it's that bloke out of...." kind of way.

But since the names are listed in the OP I've lost some confidence in my own prior knowledge.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I have had sex with most of them but I can't remember any of their names. Even looking at the list of names didn't help. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    I knew Amanda (Sherlock and ex-wife of Tim from The Office), Layton (...Jamie - an amazing performer), and Nigel (Eastenders) in addition to those that you knew. 

Long time ago that show! 

I'm old, feeble, and losing my memory. Stop bulling me, see how well you hold up when you're 40.  And besides she looks close to 10 years younger in the above collection of photos than she was in Sherlock, when you first mentioned the Amanda and Sherlock connection, I honestly at first thought you where wrong, and it was perhaps her daughter.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    Krishnan Guru-Murthy was the only one I recognised, I don't watch much TV tho...
    I'm old, feeble, and losing my memory. Stop bulling me, see how well you hold up when you're 40.
    I can hardly remember being 40.  Enjoy it while you can, it doesn't get any better.

Long time ago that show! 

I'm old, feeble, and losing my memory. Stop bulling me, see how well you hold up when you're 40.  And besides she looks close to 10 years younger in the above collection of photos than she was in Sherlock, when you first mentioned the Amanda and Sherlock connection, I honestly at first thought you where wrong, and it was perhaps her daughter.
    Hahahaha. I’m nearly 50!
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Although there were a few names I didn't know, I recognise seven of them. Ellie Leach used to play Faye on Coronation Street, which I watch, and Adam Thomas was on Emmerdale, which I absolutely do not watch.
  • If I was well known for something and doing well, I can't really think of any good reason to go on Strictly (unless I were pre disposed to like dancing and sequins). I don't think it's much of a surprise that they aren't that well known. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I could name the same four you did + Angela Scanlon.

I could recognise Bobby Brazier, Nigel  Harman and Amanda Abbington and know what they do but wouldn't have remembered their names.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I got 3
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 568
    Pink tie is a newsreader, bottom right a TV presenter, no idea what their name is. the others... BLANK.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Not knowing who Angela Rippon is, seems weird. 

And Les has been famous for 4 decades
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    edited September 2023
    4 for me, plus one other I recognised but didn't know his name

1. Angela Rippon
    2. Les Dennis (but thought he was dead)
    3. Krisnan Guru-Murthy
    4. Annabel Croft

Other: Nigel Harman (Eastenders?), 
  • Same as OP plus Amanda Abbington ( not that I would have known her surname) and Angela Scanlon. 

One of those programmes that is on rather than watched. I'll look up from my iPad for the actual competition dancing but ignore all the roll VT and group dance stuff. I liked it when Alison Hammond was on because I know her sister Saundra and I could spot her in the audience some weeks. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    Reverend said:
    Not knowing who Angela Rippon is, seems weird. 

And Les has been famous for 4 decades
    I guess some of our esteemed colleagues are pretending to be younger than they really are.  That, or their memories have failed.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Bobby Brazier is Jade Goody's son. Who I'm sure many will remember.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    I recognise Cundy, and is that the guy from Its a Sin?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    To be fair, by the time you exclude all the past contestants (how many years has this been running), those for whom you'd not get life insurance cover (I believe it can get quite active), and celebrities who might be exposed mid-series as Brand-esque, you've probably not got many properly famous people left ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    axisus said:

So, who can beat me?

I admit to being a little nervous when opening the thread.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499

2 I could name: Rippon and Dennis.

2 I “recognised” but couldn’t name: Abbington and Guru-Murthy.

The rest - nothing. I did think Annablel Croft’s photo was Kirstie Alley but then remembered how old she is now (and what she looks like now.)

Spent most of my life without a TV (and I’m 70, so that’s quite a while), not a snob, just too lazy to schedule my life around it.

I’m on the computer a lot withYouTube and may have downloaded (accidentally) the odd TV stream, but very seldom

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

So, who can beat me?

I admit to being a little nervous when opening the thread.

I don't know about anybody else, but I opened the thread hoping it was an open Mario Kart challenge.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ripping & Dennis