Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What common/popular electric guitar types have you never tried playing? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What common/popular electric guitar types have you never tried playing?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
For me it's the Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar models plus the Gibson LP Junior, Explorer and  Flying V models.
I've never felt any GAS towards them at all.
Am I missing anything here? Is there something special about these guitars?

What classic electric guitars have you never been bothered to investigate?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    I don't believe I've ever played a firebird. Not that I can't be bothered with them, I think they look amazing and I do love a Gibson.

Just don't think I ever encountered one anywhere.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rossirossi Frets: 1658
    I have only played a Les Paul once .I liked it  but never bothered  taking it further .I do have a mMidtown but mainly prefer Fenders the lighter the better.I play finger style .
  • NikcNikc Frets: 613
    Gibson SG just the ugliest looking thing - never ever ever.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Most PRS models. 
  • Gibson SG, Les Paul, Juniors, Firebird, Explorer, V - basically everything never played except I owned a Heritage 535 so nothing with Gibson written on it.

Fender: I've only ever played one Fender in my life (Korean Strat) and I still own it albeit now fretless and in pieces.

Gretsch - not one.

PRS - never played a "normal" one. By that I mean their standard scale as my two have been 25.5 and 26.5"

There are loads more and I don't for one second feel I've missed out on anything.
  • Gretsch, PRS or Danelectro. 

I'm quite fond of the other classics types. 
  • From Gibson and Fender it's only the Firebird, I think.  Also never had my hands on a proper Starcaster, but that's a fairly rare beast. 

I've only played a handful of PRSi and I don't know the models except one was a McCarty and one was a Custom 24.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I've never played a flying v either. Also never played a BC Rich Warlock or really any of those pointy metal style guitars. 

This also made me realise that although I've got a PRS SE I've never as far as I remember played a 'proper' one. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    equalsql said:
    For me it's the Fender Jazzmaster and Jaguar models plus the Gibson LP Junior, Explorer and  Flying V models.
    I've never felt any GAS towards them at all.
    Am I missing anything here? Is there something special about these guitars?

What classic electric guitars have you never been bothered to investigate?

All these for me too, except I have played a flying V.  Really odd to play, never 'got it' and didn't like it.

Also, never played a headless guitar like a Steinberger. Just yuk for me, it's like half a guitar and they just look wrong. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • A tele.  And I never want to either.  Appalling looking things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    A tele.  And I never want to either.  Appalling looking things. 
    But great guitars that have great playability and a unique character.  I came to Teles and SGs late because of their aesthetics too but I now love them both. Definitely recommend you try one. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I've never played a Zemaitis. I mean a real one. I'd like to someday.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    Suspect there are more classic shapes I’ve not touched than those I have. SG, Jaguar, Mustang, V, Explorer, anything superstrat or pointy, 

• I don’t think I’ve played a ‘proper’ semi-hollow Rickenbacker - just the solidbody 325 types.

I’ve also not played many (any?) full-depth jazz guitars - the closest I’ve gotten was a Gibson ES-137 I guess.

I don’t think I’ve played a double-neck, or on any electric 12-strings either.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Never played an offset
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I think I've been everywhere now. No Starcaster though, like @stickyfiddle ;
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Rickenbacker and Gretsch.  Any fully hollow, deep-bodied Gibson (or similar).  I think I might have briefly tried a Jazzmaster or Jaguar, but I'm not sure.  Anything with those bloody trendy gold foil pickups.  

I'm not really attracted to anything jangly, twangy or bigger than I am.
  • Is it showing off to say I can't think of one I haven't played?

But could start a hit list of ones I never want to play again and Gretsch and Martin are at the top!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Gibson explorer for me. After that it’s all of the big body Gretsch’s
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    I haven’t tried most of them outside of Strats, Super Strats, Teles and Les Pauls. I’ve never even tried an SG. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Gibson double neck and v. Never got around to it. I've played just about all major brands and models plus some weird stuff at shows. Talking of weird stuff I've never played a bond.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    It will save space if I list the ones I have played. (Defining "played" as actually plugged in and had a proper go on.)

Les Paul, Strat, Rickenbacker 325. That would be about it.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    A tele.  And I never want to either.  Appalling looking things. 
    I felt exactly like that too until I tried one. So did my sister.

Nikc said:
    Gibson SG just the ugliest looking thing - never ever ever.
    Again I was the same until I tried one...

Regarding the original question- Jazzmaster, Jaguar (and the other more niche Fenders like Mustangs, Duo-Sonics etc.), Gretsch and Danelectro.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Nikc said:
    Gibson SG just the ugliest looking thing
    Absolutely! If you set out to make a really bad-looking guitar without doing manifestly and openly weird stuff - ie., if you wanted it to look ordinary and normal but at the same time really try-hard butt-ugly, you'd design an SG. I'm told they play quite well, and anything that plays more-or-less like a Les Paul but doesn't weigh more than a 1950s Cadillac has to be worth a try. Just so long as you play it in a dark room with your hat pulled down over your face so that no-one can see. And do it under an assumed name.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    edited September 2023
    I’ve never sat and played a PRS (same with most superstrat types,  I may have mentally collated these as an amorphous ‘type’). Collectively, I associate these with 90s and 00s metal and that is just so far removed from what I am interested in that I’ve pigeonholed them. Probably fantastic guitars and I do occasionally toy with picking one up on the off chance, but it’s yet to happen. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    PRS. 
    Ibanez or any other shreddy thing.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 234
    Tannin said:
    It will save space if I list the ones I have played. (Defining "played" as actually plugged in and had a proper go on.)

Les Paul, Strat, Rickenbacker 325. That would be about it.

as a lefty and a recluse, I'm in more or less the same boat. Played a partscaster Tele, Fender Strat, Epi Sheraton because that's what I have at home, a crap acoustic and even more crap superstrat thing because that's what I had when starting playing in the 80s, and apart from that 5 minutes noodling in a shop on an SG, Les Paul, and LP Junior, with roughly a decade between these experiences (if you can call it that).

Sad ...

• DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    Gibson Flying V, Gibson Super 400, Gibson Byrdland, Fender Maverick, Fender Bass VI, Gretsch Country Gentleman, Rickenbacker 12 strings.

That's the ones at the top of my head, but I will love to try them all that's how you know what you like and what you don't!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    Never played an offset
    Glad you said ‘an’ rather than ‘with’
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I've never played a Zemaitis. I mean a real one. I'd like to someday.
    Prepare to be disappointed if you ever get the chance 
    many of the various Jap replica models are better built 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter