Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitar prices new and used today are just ridiculous - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitar prices new and used today are just ridiculous

What's Hot

Comments

• InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 164
    edited September 2023
    Voxman said:
    Guys, I appreciate all the interesting feedback but I think this thread has perhaps got a bit deflected by talking about beer & US elections, energy prices etc.  I know there's a cost of living crisis at the moment but my post wasn't really about bigger political, international & fiscal monetary issues?

You say that now, but what happens when your guitar amp is too expensive to run?
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Energy bills down but WTI going mad at the moment. Fuel is going to end up well over £2 lt within 13 months 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • InactiveX said:
    Voxman said:
    Guys, I appreciate all the interesting feedback but I think this thread has perhaps got a bit deflected by talking about beer & US elections, energy prices etc.  I know there's a cost of living crisis at the moment but my post wasn't really about bigger political, international & fiscal monetary issues?

You say that now, but what happens when your guitar amp is too expensive to run?
    ….for President?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Philly_Q said:
    Voxman said:
    Guys, I appreciate all the interesting feedback but I think this thread has perhaps got a bit deflected by talking about beer & US elections, energy prices etc.  I know there's a cost of living crisis at the moment but my post wasn't really about bigger political, international & fiscal monetary issues? ;)
    @Voxman you really need to spend more time in Off Topic.  But instead we're bringing it to you. ;)

Only without Emp sidetracking everything because he lives in Off Topic and Politics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I can't see myself owning another PRS anytime soon. The days of a used custom 24 or 22 being under a grand are long gone. 
    I still cant quite fathom how a Korean made bcrich costs £1700. Part of it is me accepting a non US made instrument costing that much. Obviously the workers need to be paid a fair wage. And is a US made strat bolted together any differently? 
    Is second hand stuff actually selling though? I had the ce24 semi hollow for sale as low £1200 and no bites. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 84
    edited September 2023
    Voxman said:
    Didn't want the thread to be political, but in the first post mentioned the words "Brexit" "Covid" and "inflation".

Sorry, you got what was coming to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Lol! OK guys... You win!  =) :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    edited September 2023
    Before this topic fades away until next time, anyone fancy an Indonesian MusicMan Sterling Sabre for £1,899.99?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220112379390008--music-man-sterling-sabre-deep-blue-burst-rosewood-fingerboard
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Since i also own a Gibson Class 5, with certificate, I have been keeping an eye on this...it has been listed for 3 years!

The strange thing is that the price of this has gone up, i swear it used to be around £3999, it has gone up £2k in the 3 years.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/33020296-gibson-custom-shop-class-5-les-paul-2002
  • StefB said:
    Before this topic fades away until next time, anyone fancy an Indonesian MusicMan Sterling Sable for £1,899.99?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/220112379390008--music-man-sterling-sabre-deep-blue-burst-rosewood-fingerboard
    WHAT?!?!?!?!

My USA EBMM Stingray Guitar cost £1150 new/sealed from the UK dealer. Maybe 5 years ago? 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    StefB said:
    Before this topic fades away until next time, anyone fancy an Indonesian MusicMan Sterling Sable for £1,899.99?

Bloody hell.  That is really quite unbelievable.  I cannot in any circumstances imagine those selling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I get it's an 8 string and it has a lot of tech in it....but £5k!?!?!?

Music Man Majesty | Okelani Blue - John Petrucci Signature - 8-String - Peach Guitars
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    @digitalscream i haven’t seen such a hot topic since coronavirus. Perhaps a separate sub forum titled “fucking hell!!!! HOW MUCH???”

:D 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I get it's an 8 string and it has a lot of tech in it....but £5k!?!?!?

Music Man Majesty | Okelani Blue - John Petrucci Signature - 8-String - Peach Guitars
    I noticed they had some new Music Man stock yesterday.  I was quite taken with the Steve Morse one, but after taking the price on board I just went and looked at reviews of his signature DiMarzio pickups...

Music Man Steve Morse Y2D BFR | Jade Burl - Peach Guitars

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659

The bridge pickup doesn’t look wide enough for the string spacing. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    StefB said:

WHAT?!?!?!?!

My USA EBMM Stingray Guitar cost £1150 new/sealed from the UK dealer. Maybe 5 years ago? 

There is no guarantee that the US guitar is any better.

That doesn't mean that the price isn't still totally outrageous though.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    The push for guitars, amps and pedals to be a lifestyle accessory as opposed to the tool of a musician has created this absolute mess. All born out of investment management firms investing heavily in these companies and then demanding year on year exponential growth.

Sod the lot of them. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swiller said:
    I bought a USA standard strat in 1989 for 350 brand new. Which was discounted from £375-400 i think.
    Recently got a S/H version of same year, same guitar £750, which pretty much is the going rate.

Pint of beer in 1989 - about £1.
    Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

Think gibsons are OTT i agree, but fenders (especially 80s/90s SH USA standards) are v good vfm today.

Hasn't beer gone up more than other stuff because people drink less of it when they go out now?
    I looked up inflation since 1989

it says 
    £100 in 1989£318.32 in 2023

Value of 1989 British pounds today | UK Inflation Calculator (in2013dollars.com)

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    edited September 2023
    swiller said:
    I bought a USA standard strat in 1989 for 350 brand new. Which was discounted from £375-400 i think.
    Recently got a S/H version of same year, same guitar £750, which pretty much is the going rate.

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

Think gibsons are OTT i agree, but fenders (especially 80s/90s SH USA standards) are v good vfm today.

Hasn't beer gone up more than other stuff because people drink less of it when they go out now?

it says 

Value of 1989 British pounds today | UK Inflation Calculator (in2013dollars.com)

So....an overly simplistic view I'm taking, yes, but should we expect American Pro strats to be about £1200-1300? 

So about a £500 premium due to factors other than general inflation?
  • I'm also surprised about how much new product is released every single week, and not just everyday music items, high end pedals, £20k Gibsons, new modellers. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:

I noticed they had some new Music Man stock yesterday.  I was quite taken with the Steve Morse one, but after taking the price on board I just went and looked at reviews of his signature DiMarzio pickups...

Music Man Steve Morse Y2D BFR | Jade Burl - Peach Guitars

I'm sure it's a lovely guitar but it's ruined by the truly ugly and crude-looking tailpiece.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    Greatape said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

it says 

So....an overly simplistic view I'm taking, yes, but should we expect American Pro strats to be about £1200-1300? 

Hmmmm. An equally simplistic approach would be to take a different arbitrary year, 1975, and determine that an American Pro Strat should be about £2,250* today. So they're actually about £500 cheaper due to factors other than general inflation. 

*Based on Bell's catalogue price (inc. tremolo but without waterproof cover!) and the BoE inflation calculator. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I'm also surprised about how much new product is released every single week, and not just everyday music items, high end pedals, £20k Gibsons, new modellers. 
    Tell me about it

i can understand the ‘marketing’ needs of a company but new products all the time and swapping changing all the time is OTT

I’d favour more ‘factory special runs ‘ of same/ similar models to create extra interest and sales - ie hot rod custom tweaks , different finishes, be it aged or clean, different pickups etc - But not this perpetual annual change 
  • willo said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

Yeah I agree with this. There are some fair prices for Fenders out there. Gibson is just in a strange place with collectors craving certain finishes, flame, years etc. A certain mythology has built up around Les Pauls in particular. Fender still seems like, outside of Custom Shop, to be seen more as a player's tool.
    I don´t know about the UK but, here in Germany Gibson prices tend to go through the roof occasionally till people stop buying them. Then Thomann and/or Music Store will start blowing last years models out and prices will go down a bit and then it all starts over again.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    willo said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

Yeah I agree with this. There are some fair prices for Fenders out there. Gibson is just in a strange place with collectors craving certain finishes, flame, years etc. A certain mythology has built up around Les Pauls in particular. Fender still seems like, outside of Custom Shop, to be seen more as a player's tool.
    I don´t know about the UK but, here in Germany Gibson prices tend to go through the roof occasionally till people stop buying them. Then Thomann and/or Music Store will start blowing last years models out and prices will go down a bit and then it all starts over again.
    This kinda happens here - year end blowouts definitely happen - but of course the picks of the litter are usually gone by then, so you have to keep that in mind. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    Whitecat said:
    willo said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

This kinda happens here - year end blowouts definitely happen - but of course the picks of the litter are usually gone by then, so you have to keep that in mind. 

I don't agree with the part that I've bolded in your quote, a hell of a lot of guitars nowadays, and I'd even go so far as to say the majority of guitars that are bought today, are bought based off of their spec sheets rather than how they actually feel, sound and play in the hand.  How many people people write off guitars based off of weigh - I do it with nut width, alone without even looking at the guitar beyond a web page for it, as in not even seeing the guitar in person.  As they say, one man's lump of coal is another's diamond.

Bigsby said:
    Greatape said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

it says 

Hmmmm. An equally simplistic approach would be to take a different arbitrary year, 1975, and determine that an American Pro Strat should be about £2,250* today. So they're actually about £500 cheaper due to factors other than general inflation. 

*Based on Bell's catalogue price (inc. tremolo but without waterproof cover!) and the BoE inflation calculator. 
    Absolutely. Although the further back you go, the more inaccurate the comparison. Furthermore, this comparison doesn't allow for the oscillations in exchange rate. 

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    Greatape said:
    Bigsby said:
    Greatape said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

it says 

Absolutely. Although the further back you go, the more inaccurate the comparison. Furthermore, this comparison doesn't allow for the oscillations in exchange rate. 

I'm not sure it can ever be 'inaccurate' if the comparative year is arbitrarily chosen - each year will be as 'accurate' as every other year. It's only a matter of how long you're choosing to measure price changes over. As for exchange rates, I'm not sure what your point is? They'll be factored into the £ prices, in just the same way that inflation is! 
  • Speaking of what the point is.. 

what’s the point in worrying about what a guitar cost in 1975… it’s 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bigsby said:
    Greatape said:
    Bigsby said:
    Greatape said:
    swiller said:

Pint of beer 2023 £4-5

it says 

I'm not sure it can ever be 'inaccurate' if the comparative year is arbitrarily chosen - each year will be as 'accurate' as every other year. It's only a matter of how long you're choosing to measure price changes over. As for exchange rates, I'm not sure what your point is? They'll be factored into the £ prices, in just the same way that inflation is! 
    No, absolutely - poorly explained by me. 

There are different factors causing that, of which exchange rate fluctuations are part of it (and there have been several shocks in recent years). But then companies can also increase their prices above and beyond increases due to rising costs, in order to increase their margins, satiate shareholders, etc. Obviously, price rises are not uniform across all products and services.