Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Premiere Pro preview pane video lag - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Premiere Pro preview pane video lag

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Got my multi-screw screwdriver set earlier so I was able to remove the case and look underneath. I do indeed have 2 ports with 4GB ram making it 8GB in total so I'll be getting 2 x 8GB ones to double it to 16GB. Hopefully, it'll solve the lag issues in Premiere Pro.

Yeah will do the trick I reckon.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Got my multi-screw screwdriver set earlier so I was able to remove the case and look underneath. I do indeed have 2 ports with 4GB ram making it 8GB in total so I'll be getting 2 x 8GB ones to double it to 16GB. Hopefully, it'll solve the lag issues in Premiere Pro.

Just be careful as you remove the ram and replace it with new ... if you don't unscrew the battery the whole board is still live even though the machine is off. The plastic memory slots aren't the best quality and any damage will result in a beep and  / or caps lock light flashing and no boot 

You can also add another HDD to the machine for storage ... if you look at the empty ZIF connector to the top left of the battery ... that's where a 2.5" standard drive connects but you also need the cable which is ribbon one end to fit the ZIF  and and SATA the other. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh, I took the card out the slot a couple of times and it was fine lol. Is the battery connected via a cable somewhere? Or do I literally unscrew it?
  • The rule is you don’t work on a laptop board while it’s powered ..you can get away with it but you can also easily damage it so always disconnect it. 
    The little white arrows tell you which screws to remove ., although sometimes the same battery is used across different models so not always 100 percent correct 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    edited September 2023
    Ok once the new memory sticks arrive and I have to remove the cover again I'll unscrew the battery. I would have expected it to be connected to the motherboard somehow though.

Thanks for the tip.
  • I'm guessing I do it like he's doing at 2.45

• The existing Harddrive is an M2 NVME by the looks of it (or could be m2 SSD), so a storage upgrade is also possible

• New RAM delivered today! Installed ok (And yes I disconnected the battery first). Got some weird error message on the boot, Cmos invalid or something. Maybe cos I removed the battery? But I got into the OS ok and after a black screen, I pressed enter and it loaded up. The system info shows 16GB of RAM though so it must be detecting it, 13.2GB available so that 2GB is for the graphics card.

Had a go re-doing edit I did yesterday, seems to be ok but can't really tell if increased RAM has made a meaningful difference as the video I was editing over the weekend was over 5 minutes long.

Have restarted the laptop and no error messages so I think its ok now?
  • Check date and time . The CMOS error relates to that 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • They're both correct
  • Just to update the upgrade didn't actually solve the problem in Premiere Pro. Upon importing PP does something to the video to make hand movements late in time with the audio. The raw video file plays fine and is in time. Have tried clearing memory cache, changing file name, etc. Not sure what the issue is. PC is fine despite having half the RAM but I don't think its related to memory.
  • Just to update the upgrade didn't actually solve the problem in Premiere Pro. Upon importing PP does something to the video to make hand movements late in time with the audio. The raw video file plays fine and is in time. Have tried clearing memory cache, changing file name, etc. Not sure what the issue is. PC is fine despite having half the RAM but I don't think its related to memory.
    OK...that actually sounds like the variable frame rate audio sync problem that's been reported by loads of people in PP. I'm surprised they didn't immediately go there?
    <space for hire>
  • Does that mean there's a bug in the software? The laptop won't let me uninstall and install PP again.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    edited October 2023
    I use Premiere Elements but had a similar issue. 

The audio and video were out of sync and 4k was impossible to edit as the timeline preview just stuttered and froze constantly. 

For me it was due to using film shot on my iphone. 
    There were some threads about running it thru handbrake which tbh I didnt understand at all. 

In the end I had to change the format from High Efficiency to Most compatible or something I think, which solved the out of sync issue. 

I think 4k is still almost impossible to edit but its been ages since I tried... but thats likely my laptop not being great at handling it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • The videos are in 1080 so I would think most modern devices would be able to handle it. Strangely the phone camera footage is in sync and has no lag. The webcam video is suffering from it but like I said before the raw file plays back fine. The file size is smaller on the webcam too but I don't think this is related.
    The videos are in 1080 so I would think most modern devices would be able to handle it. Strangely the phone camera footage is in sync and has no lag. The webcam video is suffering from it but like I said before the raw file plays back fine. The file size is smaller on the webcam too but I don't think this is related.
    Ah, was just a thought. 

Yeah my raw phone footage played back fine also either on the phone itself or the laptop, but when in Adobe Premiere it did not.
  • Hmm...well the only short-term solution I can think of is record the audio first and then use the phone camera to do all the angles. These are just quick short videos for social media so nothing too crazy, and its quicker to record all the audio into the camera to save recording twice. 

I guess I could either record the 2nd time with one of the angles with my phone and then just delete the webcam footage but if I'm going to do that I might as well just use something like Audacity to stream the Spotify audio into (pretty sure you can do this) and record it all as one track, then play along to it using the phone camera and use PP to edit it.
  • Hmm...well the only short-term solution I can think of is record the audio first and then use the phone camera to do all the angles. These are just quick short videos for social media so nothing too crazy, and its quicker to record all the audio into the camera to save recording twice. 

I guess I could either record the 2nd time with one of the angles with my phone and then just delete the webcam footage but if I'm going to do that I might as well just use something like Audacity to stream the Spotify audio into (pretty sure you can do this) and record it all as one track, then play along to it using the phone camera and use PP to edit it.
    Well, the solution is to use Handbrake (or similar) to transcode the clip into a constant frame rate clip before you import it.
    <space for hire>
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Hmm...well the only short-term solution I can think of is record the audio first and then use the phone camera to do all the angles. These are just quick short videos for social media so nothing too crazy, and its quicker to record all the audio into the camera to save recording twice. 

Well, the solution is to use Handbrake (or similar) to transcode the clip into a constant frame rate clip before you import it.
    I think that was what @skunkwerx mentioned too.
    Handbrake is multi platform, free & works well, so worth a try.

I saw it once on a YouTube video but didn't understand much of it either, lol. But I will look at the actual program and see if I can give it a go with another edit. Someone tried trimming like 1 sec off the video then saving it as a new file and imported that, which for them solved the issue. 
    Could you film using the phone and webcam and just record the audio direct to audacity at the same time at all? 

That is how I do it, can just delete the audio off the phone and webcam in the timeline then sync audacity audio up to the video. 
    Though it is much easier to sync audio up with the audio of whatever you've filmed on.. but yeah that requires the audio to be in sync from the camera. 

This is the kind of thing I made with that method: 
    https://youtu.be/tncr6_12vPc?si=RvxaVCve4tcgE56n

Handbrake was weird for me too. 
    I recorded a short video of my car, unbeknownst to me my phone was set to 4k at 60fps which can only be done in 'high efficiency' format for that resolution.. 

It was horribly laggy and stuttery in the time line and impossible to edit. 

I tried the handbrake method, not knowing at all what I was doing. 

After handbrake the video came out WAY over exposed when played back on the laptop .. no idea why. Whats weird is then when I put that handbrake'd clip into Adobe, it looked fine and was smooth playing back. 

Then when rendering the completed video was also fine. Bizarre. 

But I really am pretty basic and couldnt figure out what I was supposed to do in handbrake even with online guides.. it was all foreign to me. 
  • Yeah I could, it’s just like you say having the audio and video synced in the same file (which it is before it hits PP) is quicker and more convenient. To have to record in Audacity is another step and as the video is only a minute long it seems like a lot of hassle just for something short, I usually stream off Spotify for convenience and to save converting a YouTube video to mp3 then dragging and dropping into the daw.

Although like I said before I’ve seen people record audio streams off Spotify and YouTube before as a track then saved it as an mp3.

Also it’s not just the preview pane that’s out it’s the final export too.