Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Premiere Pro preview pane video lag - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Premiere Pro preview pane video lag

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
edited October 2023 in Off Topic
*UPDATED THREAD TITLE*

My laptop has 6GB (well should be 8GB) of RAM. Having started to use Adobe Premiere Pro to do video edits sometimes in the preview window playback lags behind a bit where hand movements are late and such.

I spoke to tech support at Adobe and they suggested I don't have enough memory, and I should get at least 16GB for videos in 1080HD.

I've tried to open the case to look but currently don't have the right sized screwdriver for such a small screw, does anyone know what size I would need? If I can get the case open I can just get a new 16GB RAM stick (I doubt its got an expansion slot) to replace. 32GB is overkill isn't it?

Also apparently you can use the readyboost feature from a USB stick to boost memory as well? Is this a better way as I only need more RAM when editing. This guy explains how to do it

Is it ok to do this or will it mess up my laptop?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• No. ReadyBoost is crap, and any USB stick you'd get is orders of magnitude slower than RAM - video editors would likely crash from how slow it is anyway.

It's also possible that if your laptop is a thin-and-light type from the last 7 or 8 years, the RAM is soldered to the motherboard so you won't be able to upgrade that way either...depends entirely on the model, though (we'll be able to look it up if you tell us what it is).

What do you mean by "6GB (well should be 8GB)", though?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What do you mean by "6GB (well should be 8GB)", though?
    At a guess, 2GB shared with the graphics card, so only 6GB available for the OS.

OP - you just need to get a set of smaller screwdrivers, they have them on Amazon for about a tenner.  The screws are never in very tight.  Best to find out if you have a spare ram slot first if you can.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The guy from Adobe tech support took control of my laptop via remote assistance and said the laptop is using 6GB. When I bought it was advertised at 8GB and I think it says in the system properties its 8GB.

It's a HP Pavilion laptop model 15-cw1507sa serial no 5CD0033GGX
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Please provide the exact make and model number of your laptop. RAM ain't RAM, there are many different sorts. Don't just open it up. In any case, depending on the model, that may be pointless - some, for example, have their RAM sockets under the keyboard instead of in the back. There are many different ways to install RAM. Armed with the make and exact model, wee can advise.

A USB stick will be much slower than any sort of actual RAM.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What do you mean by "6GB (well should be 8GB)", though?
    At a guess, 2GB shared with the graphics card, so only 6GB available for the OS.

OP - you just need to get a set of smaller screwdrivers, they have them on Amazon for about a tenner.  The screws are never in very tight.  Best to find out if you have a spare ram slot first if you can.
    Yes I would suspect you may be right as it has the Radeon Vega Graphics card.

Yeah I used to have a set but I can't find where they are! Will have a hunt on Amazon though and pray that its not soldered into the motherboard.

I will add this was a very long song to edit a video for (5 minutes). I've done shorter edits around 1 minute and they came out ok although a couple had some lag.
  • Tannin said:
    Please provide the exact make and model number of your laptop. RAM ain't RAM, there are many different sorts. Don't just open it up. In any case, depending on the model, that may be pointless - some, for example, have their RAM sockets under the keyboard instead of in the back. There are many different ways to install RAM. Armed with the make and exact model, wee can advise.

A USB stick will be much slower than any sort of actual RAM.
    Listed it above.

Yeah I had doubts on whether using RAM from a USB would be a good idea and this only confirms it haha.
  • I think this guy has the same one as me and he's upgraded his RAM

^ Looking good. This page will give you an idea of what should fit. https://uk.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-15-cw1507sa

• Ah, nice one. Cheers for that. 

Now, how much more do I need? Another 8? Can you do 16 and 8 to make it 24? 32 might be overkill but nice to have that extra buffer.
    I'd go for 24. Sometime you get incompatibilities between two different pieces of RAM. They both fit the specs in theory, but in practice they don't play nicely together. But usually these days that is not an issue. Get a 16 and try for 24. If it works, great. If not, well 16 is still good. 

The extra 8 from 24 to 32GB usually doesn't achieve al that much  as you are starting to get diminishing returns. The old rule we used to work on was that each doubling of the RAM achieves half as much as the previous doubling. 1GB -> 2GB HUGE! 2GB -> 4GB Big! 4GB -> 8GB achieves quite a lot.  8GB -> 16GB is quite nice to have. And so on. 
  • Ok at £35.99 its not too bad. Just need to find a screwdriver set to actually get the smaller screws off. There's also some underneath the corners under those adhesive pads apparently.

Just hoping after all this it'll actually fix the problem with the video editor as well.
  • I'd say 16GB is fine, 32GB is overkill - BUT and it's a big but, if you can fit two 16GB sticks in your laptop (not guaranteed) then last time I checked RAM was pretty cheap - so you are adding a lot of headroom for not much more money.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's only £20 more for 2 x 16GB sticks so if 1 16GB doesn't work with the existing 8 I could take that out and double it. Hopefully it has 2 slots. If not then I'll have to go with 1 x 16GB.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    OK, according to the service guide, that laptop only supports 16GB RAM.

I'd probably go for this.
    <space for hire>
  • Hmm....ok and if there's only slot? I'm fucked then cos they're 2 x 8GB ones.

Should probably get those screwdrivers first to look inside haha.

There are two slots - you have 2 x 4GB in there, and 2GB is for the GPU.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    <space for hire>
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    With all this stuff RTFM and then get on with it (although @digitalscream has done that bit for you).

The manual/support pages will tell you max RAM, the type supported, and whether it's single slot, two slots, or one soldered and one slot etc.

There are two slots - you have 2 x 4GB in there, and 2GB is for the GPU.
    Ok thanks makes sense the 2GB being taken off for the GPU making it only 6GB memory - not enough for video editing.
  • Snags said:
    With all this stuff RTFM and then get on with it (although @digitalscream has done that bit for you).

The manual/support pages will tell you max RAM, the type supported, and whether it's single slot, two slots, or one soldered and one slot etc.
    Alright no need for that I thought it was quicker to ask and now I know what to do. I did look at YouTube videos and stuff hence that above link with the guy with the same machine as me.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    If you're taking the back off, replace the existing hard drive with an SSD (presuming yours still has a mechanical hard drive).  That alone will transform the performance of your laptop.  Clean out any dust, especially off any fans you see whilst you're in there.

Further help can be given to clone your existing drive to a new SSD if you choose that (highly recommended) option.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's already got an SSD in there (albeit only 256GB of disk space) so its quite nippy.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Snags said:

Alright no need for that I thought it was quicker to ask and now I know what to do. I did look at YouTube videos and stuff hence that above link with the guy with the same machine as me.

It wasn't meant to be that harsh, just a statement of fact. With anything like this, though, that's technical but regular/simple, the best place to start is with the manufactuer's support site, grab the manual, and look it up because it will almost certainly tell you, and tell you more reliably then (some of the) people on a guitar forum. Then come for confirmation if needs be.

Otherwise you end up flailing around trying to work out who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't, and getting lost in a long discussion about something that's basically lego.

I'm genuinely not trying to be pissy, just shortcut the process for you next time (it can be a bit of a theme :) ).

Good luck getting it sorted.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Ok, in that case.  No, adding Ram via USB is a waste of time.  Look the system up on crucial.co.uk and buy the most proper ram it will support and fit it to the slots you have.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

Ok thanks makes sense the 2GB being taken off for the GPU making it only 6GB memory - not enough for video editing.
    Even if you increase the size of the RAM it probably won't automatically assign more memory for graphics use.  That is usually configured in the CMOS (BIOS) settings that you can enter by pressing a key or key combination as the computer boots up.  It won't usually be a % of the installed RAM, but rather the number of kilobytes, megabytes or gigabytes of system RAM to dedicate to graphics use.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Ok, in that case.  No, adding Ram via USB is a waste of time.  Look the system up on crucial.co.uk and buy the most proper ram it will support and fit it to the slots you have.
    Yep doing that now, just waiting for the screwdriver set to help me open the case first lol.
  • BillDL said:

Even if you increase the size of the RAM it probably won't automatically assign more memory for graphics use.  That is usually configured in the CMOS (BIOS) settings that you can enter by pressing a key or key combination as the computer boots up.  It won't usually be a % of the installed RAM, but rather the number of kilobytes, megabytes or gigabytes of system RAM to dedicate to graphics use.
    It'll help having more RAM in there anyway won't it? On my PC I have 8GB but I took the graphics card out because it became noisy, its using the built-in one instead. There's no lag on that.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Yes, having more available RAM will improve the speed and handling efficiency of a computer regardless of what it's doing.
  • Glad you can upgrade. I am looking at laptops and we're probably going for a lenovo yoga (ladyprettydamned wants a touchscreen, I want a framework 13 which costs more for less snazzy components...), and sure as heck the 16gb ram is soldered in.

Why?! It's the easiest bit to upgrade, next to the drive. :( 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    edited September 2023
    Got my multi-screw screwdriver set earlier so I was able to remove the case and look underneath. I do indeed have 2 ports with 4GB ram making it 8GB in total so I'll be getting 2 x 8GB ones to double it to 16GB. Hopefully, it'll solve the lag issues in Premiere Pro.