Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Why why WHY? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Why why WHY?

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
in Guitar tFB Trader
I’ve been watching guitar videos again recently, I hadn’t done so for quite some time. Maybe I’m getting back into my groove or something. But, and it’s makes me say out loud “why?!”, do people who are showing off their guitars do this when telling the interviewer about the pickups?

Obviously it annoys me, am I the only one?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    For the same reason that the ticket inspector has to hold/touch your ticket when you hold it out clear and visible for them. 

It's about focus. And totally pointless. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Is that not you doing that to one of your guitars?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    I've never noticed anyone doing that.... but now that you've highlighted it, no doubt it will become apparent the next time I watch a video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Eh?
    This. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What?
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    merlin said:
    For the same reason that the ticket inspector has to hold/touch your ticket when you hold it out clear and visible for them. 

It's about focus. And totally pointless. 

https://youtu.be/g4ouPGGLI6Q
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    ummmm ...... I'm going with just you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Tough crowd, Tis a Sunday after all. Some extra coffee required?

Referring to the amount of videos I watch of gear rundowns where the guitarist uses their index finger to point at the bridge pickup while simultaneously pointing to the neck pickup with their pinkie. As if it’s mandatory in all gear videos.

But apparently it’s just me that it irks so the easiest way to avoid it is to stop watching said videos.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I got it :-)
  • I've never noticed this. Maybe I need to watch more guitar reviews on YT.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited September 2023
    You’re not alone. I’ve noticed it many times and thought it was peculiar and a tad annoying. It seems to be the International hand signal to point at pickups in YouTube videos. Maybe someone started doing it and everyone copied. 
  • Which finger do they use when pointing at Strat pick-ups? That seems like quite a dilemma 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tough crowd, Tis a Sunday after all. Some extra coffee required?

Referring to the amount of videos I watch of gear rundowns where the guitarist uses their index finger to point at the bridge pickup while simultaneously pointing to the neck pickup with their pinkie. As if it’s mandatory in all gear videos.

But apparently it’s just me that it irks so the easiest way to avoid it is to stop watching said videos.

I just tried it.

It's definitely an easier and thus more comfortable stretch rather than using Index and Middle.
    Index and ring is weird.

I think this is a you problem.
  • GoldenEraGuitars said:

Why why WHY?

Delilah?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Why why WHY would something as innocuous as that irk you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199

......while simultaneously pointing to the neck pickup with their pinkie. 
    Referring to the little finger as a "pinkie" is a far worse crime.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    If someone was reviewing Johnny Marr's 9-pickup Strat, they'd need to have been born in The Forest Of Dean to do it successfully.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dis some low key marketing. 
  • Here's Mark Agnesi doing it at 1:45 

^ So, it's authentic then.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yea I've seen that and it is a bit annoying. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Maybe it's to avoid flicking Vs at the audience.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • willowillo Frets: 240
    edited September 2023
    N/a
    Here's Mark Agnesi doing it at 1:45 

Does anyone have a more naturally mournful face than Mark Agnesi?

I went to see a band once (the Q-Tips, as it happens) and as they took the stage the keyboard player put his hand on my shoulder and said "cheer up mate, it could be worse".  But I think Agnesi looks even more miserable than I do.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ^  

^  

I used to wear a Droopy lapel badge.  Might still have it somewhere.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ForkOfDio.jpg 103.6K
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter