Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Neighbours tree. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Neighbours tree.

What's Hot
Anybody know if anything can be done about a tree in a neighbours garden thats got too big and causing problems with its roots. It's about 14 to 15 metres from the back of our house and the roots are coming up through our and next doors lawn. We've had the owner round here about 18 months ago and showed him the problems but he's done nothing about it and clearly isn't interested. It's a huge thing and can be seen clearly on google earth. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• You can remove the roots on your boundary, make sure you give the removed roots to your neighbour. Of course if doing this and the tree falls over you're fked. 

I think claiming neglect is the legal route.

It's been 18 months so probably best bet is to have a chat again and see how they respond.

Also are they elderly and can't manage? Are they struggling financially? I know these are not your problems but sometimes a little compassion is needed if this is the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I think you can speak to your council if it’s an issue or if it threatens your house with subsidence you can speak to your home insurer, but best to speak to the neighbour again first.  

I’m involved in an insurance claim at the moment where a neighbour has refused repeated requests to remove a tree which has damaged a neighbouring property and it’s now going to court.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Autumn is the time to prune trees because they are less likely to re sprout at the cut line. Speak to your neighbours again, and remind them that the tree is causing you problems. Ask whether they are going to remove the overhanging branches and roots, or whether they want you to do it. Most neighbours decide to organise it themselves so that they retain control. If they don’t do it then you can organise it yourself. Remember that any wood you cut off is their property, and should be stacked neatly on their drive.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Roland said:
    Remember that any wood you cut off is their property, and should be stacked neatly on their drive.
    Not quite. You must offer them anything removed, but they do not have to accept, and if they refuse it it's your problem.

Does the tree have a TPO? If not you can remove anything past the boundary, but that might not be the fence line.

An agreement with your neighbour would be advantageous. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    Is it a problem having a lovely tree to look at? What are you expecting the owner to do about the tree? Do you want them to cut it down?

If the odd root popping out of your lawn really is a problem, you could probably cut it out without killing the tree.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    Roland said:
    Remember that any wood you cut off is their property, and should be stacked neatly on their drive.
    Not quite. You must offer them anything removed, but they do not have to accept, and if they refuse it it's your problem. 
    There are times when sarcasm doesn’t transmit across the internet.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    The correct proceedure is to commission an  Accredited Arboraculturalist to provide a report on the state of the tree ,the root zone and the Habit in conjunction with the modelled studies of the species .
    It is not unreasonable to request this of the neighbour.
    They may also starch test the offending roots to see if they are old /still alive and active .Surface roots are feeder roots and have no real anchor purpose typically seen in species such as Birch and Hazel .
    The main point of the report is to determine whether the tree in it's present state constitutes a structural/subsidence risk to your house or any other built structure.
    It is almost certain that it will not be condemned....... However a report will provide a diminishment programme to Pollard
    over a successive reduction period of 3 to 5 years .
    Pollarding reduces root growth and can also cause roots to die back but the reason this is done as a progressive reduction is because rapid die-back can cause ground heave due to the rapid change in water uptake of a broadleaf species .
     Your local authority will have a Tree Warden ........he can enforce this ........you could talk to him.
    Finally , I have quite a bit of experience with these structural issues and Tree problems.......it's hard to define distance and perspective from your photo but I doubt there is any threat and you are at liberty to remove the roots .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I always find it disappointing that we want to chop down / back beautiful things like lovely trees that have been around for ages if they are not actually causing buildings and drains to be damaged. And even then if they were there first, other methods should be adopted.  Far too many trees being cut down and cut back because they “overhang” in my book..

Pollarding etc might be not too unreasonable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Adey said:
    Is it a problem having a lovely tree to look at? What are you expecting the owner to do about the tree? Do you want them to cut it down?

If the odd root popping out of your lawn really is a problem, you could probably cut it out without killing the tree.
    The rule is one root per year for a mature tree.

Excessive root pruning on a tree that big among all those homes would lead to trouble.

And yeah, I’d be fine with the roots in a lawn as long as they aren’t creeping up on the patio or house itself.  

It’s a question, too, of expense and who’s responsible for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It looks far enough away not to be a problem for your house... not sure about the neighbour's house if that's it on the left of the pic - roots typically reach out about as far as the tree is tall. At that distance they will be small and close to the surface though, so it should be fairly easy to deal with them. You don't want to try cutting them closer to the tree, that could cause trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988
    Maybe if it's too close to the house, the house should be moved away a bit further?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    Beautiful. Slash his tyres.
    I play at my dining room table.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Why not show us a picture of the roots in the yard?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Looks like a lovely tree - you should be happy to see it from your garden.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    hard to tell from photo but could be a sycamore ???????????
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    Wait for winter, wait for a storm, then go out at 5am and saw it down. Easy solved. 
    Easier still adopt a Beaver
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Dominic said:
    Easier still adopt a Beaver
    Matron!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Here’s the view from the back of our house. All those trees are similar size or bigger than the one you showed, and my house hasn’t fallen down yet.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    IMG_8080.jpeg 184.6K
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    mrkb said:
    Here’s the view from the back of our house. All those trees are similar size or bigger than the one you showed, and my house hasn’t fallen down yet.

Best cut them al down and tarmac the garden to be sure. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Roland said:
    Sporky said:
    Roland said:
    Doh! 

Sorry. 
    edited September 2023
    Dave8 said:
    mrkb said:

Best cut them al down and tarmac the garden to be sure. 
    Thanks for the advice, will get the saw out this morning. The bonfire smoke should help keep the global warming away 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    I sympathize with you @ronnyb - not everyone is a tree lover.  In a previous garden I had some trees of similar size but kept them pollarded rather than let them get too big.  One of my neighbours has a tree right against my fence and its just been left to grow uncontrolled, and its shade and leaf fall is a PITA.  Their house is around the corner and we think it might be a rental so finding the owner might be awkward.  Simple carelessness on their part.
  • Chalky said:
    I sympathize with you @ronnyb - not everyone is a tree lover.  In a previous garden I had some trees of similar size but kept them pollarded rather than let them get too big.  One of my neighbours has a tree right against my fence and it’s just been left to grow uncontrolled, and its shade and leaf fall is a PITA.  Their house is around the corner and we think it might be a rental so finding the owner might be awkward.  Simple carelessness on their part.
    A simple search will cost you £6 on the land registry. If it reveals a different postal address for the owner - bingo. If it doesn’t you could always write to the property and address it to the owner not occupier. Worth a try if you are serious about finding a resolution. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1728
    It is as Dominic suggested a Sycamore. It's not only the roots but the seed fall in spring (those things with a wing on) and then the leaf fall in autumn. The patio at the back of the house is covered in black marks which is lichen algae from the tree and is difficult to remove. Another concern is the fact that i live on the coast and the house is elevated and we get some ferocious winds during the stormy season. Fortunately the prevailing winds are usually from the South / West so if the tree were blown down it would probably fall away from our house.   
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    stevebrum said:
    Chalky said:
    I sympathize with you @ronnyb - not everyone is a tree lover.  In a previous garden I had some trees of similar size but kept them pollarded rather than let them get too big.  One of my neighbours has a tree right against my fence and it’s just been left to grow uncontrolled, and its shade and leaf fall is a PITA.  Their house is around the corner and we think it might be a rental so finding the owner might be awkward.  Simple carelessness on their part.
    A simple search will cost you £6 on the land registry. If it reveals a different postal address for the owner - bingo. If it doesn’t you could always write to the property and address it to the owner not occupier. Worth a try if you are serious about finding a resolution. 
    Thank you!
    edited September 2023
    mrkb said:

Living in a high desert full of greedy deer and granite soil, I am quite jealous of all this growth.

I don’t see any tree roots.
  • If you're worried about it falling over in a strong wind, probably best not to be messing with the root system...
    Sporky said:
    Roland said:
    Doh! 

Sorry. 
    I should probably avoid posting in discussions like this one.
    Roland said:
    Sporky said:
    Roland said:
    Doh! 

Sorry. 
    I should probably avoid posting in discussions like this one.
    I probably shouldn't post at all!