Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Dear Lord it's hot! - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Dear Lord it's hot!

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
I don't understand how humans can live in warm countries.  I'm in southern Spain at the moment and it's about 29C at 11:40pm.  I'm sitting on the balcony in my y-fronts only and sweating like a (insert inappropriate analogy of choice).

That's only 29C.  @stickyfiddle I believe lives in the fires of Mount Doom where 29C would see them getting the gritters out.

How can humans exist like this?  Acclimatisation my arse.  How can human bodies function in one climate but not another?  We're all the same basic anatomy!

I've seen parts of Africa reach high 40's....  If you stick an Eskimo in Northern Mali in August he'd last six minutes before spontaneous combustion occurred.  How does that work?  An Eskimo has the same physiology as a Malian.

Emperor Fabulous reporting from Southern Spain, in his underpants.   Now back to Anna in London...
Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Do you mean 10:40pm?
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    edited September 2023
    No.  Spain is 1hr ahead of the UK at present.

Edit:  Indeed you are correct.  I am thinker than I drunk I am.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Next time you book a holiday, read this thread and maybe just stay home. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Indeed.  Perhaps Norway might have been a better choice for a Welshman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    It’s the great advantage of the Uk, we don’t make anything any more, people can do all our jobs on a computer somewhere else, but we’ll be the only country that you can live in from about 2050.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    I can't deny that I love the heat. Even last year when it was like 40+ degrees I had a lovely day at a holiday park in Cheddar Gorge in the sun, drinking iced tea, playing guitar outside surrounding by loads of trees.We went to the beach at Weston Super Mare early in the day and it went from 30 degree to rain and it poured down for a fair amount of time, which felt strange for the hottest day in existence. Nights can be difficult but a fan sorts that right out.

Pity about the reasons it's so hot. Enjoy your trip! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    40+ degrees in Cheddar Gorge?  Mmmmm...  did you eat too much cheese at the gift shop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    I thought you walked around in the niff, as you publicly declared, was it only just a week ago? I am sure i am not alone in being disappointed to hear you are wearing a pair of y fronts, especially in such high temps. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • I can't do heat either. The 40 weather last year was unbearable... but then again a couple of areas very close were destroyed by massive fires so the air was thick with fallout and smoke too.. 

This weeks 30 was not nice.. I've not played guitar for 5 weeks now because even the simplest of things makes me a sweaty mess. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited September 2023
    Your understanding of human biology is severely lacking. You could've just googled everything you just asked instead of typing a lengthy rant which, by the way, just generated unnecessary body heat in your already heated state.

But let's be honest here. You really just wanted people to know you're in South Spain, didn't you. Typical humble brag  
  • swiller said:
    I thought you walked around in the niff, as you publicly declared, was it only just a week ago? I am sure i am not alone in being disappointed to hear you are wearing a pair of y fronts, especially in such high temps. 
    I’m sure Emp will chime in on this, but I’d imagine he has learnt from last time and is trying to keep the dangly balls from frazzling up to a piece of crispy chicken skin. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    I really didn't need a mental image of Emp in his Y fronts.
  • I can't cope with heat over 25C, it's like my brain just shuts down and sweatmageddon takes over.   Give me a cool 18C any day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    swiller said:
    I’m sure Emp will chime in on this, but I’d imagine he has learnt from last time and is trying to keep the dangly balls from frazzling up to a piece of crispy chicken skin. 
    Well weve all been there.
    crunchman said:
    I really didn't need a mental image of Emp in his Y fronts.
    be grateful you didnt read his declaration of nakedness.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    @Emp_Fab ;

Didn't you get back from Greece not so long ago or was it Turkey? You're always posting a bit pissed up from various locations around the Med. 

How the other half live!  :)
  • It's remarkable what you get used to if you're in it for more than a couple of weeks. I used to hate anything north of about 27C. These days I'll have a hoodie on it it's anywhere below 30. I still prefer something in the 18-22 range though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    We have up to 40 in the summer (I can just about function in this) but up to 30 I can work outside ok and it isn't too bad if not in direct sun. The house has very thick walls and most of the time even when really hot can maintain a lovely comfortable 24 to 25.

The trick is curtains and closed windows during the hottest parts of the day to prevent hot air getting in. We have no air conditioning but the houses (well the older ones anyway) are built properly for hot summers. Now, at one of our other properties there is a 100 year old mud brick house................. 40 outside feels Baltic inside. Just falling down like so many in the countryside...... Mud bricks may be the old tech that can save you Emp. Get clay, straw and horse poo and build up on the balcony!

On the other side we can also get down to minus 15-20 in the winter..............
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    If I'm going to slump on the sofa and do next to nothing I want that to be down to personal choice, not forced on me by unreasonably hot weather.

I've never been a fan of extreme heat, add hayfever into the bargain and I'm no fan of summer.

Autumn approaches, my favourite time of the year. 
  • Kilgore said:
    @Emp_Fab ;

Didn't you get back from Greece not so long ago or was it Turkey? You're always posting a bit pissed up from various locations around the Med. 

How the other half live!  :)
    Yep, he was moaning back then about it being cloudy most days and having no sun  =)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Your understanding of human biology is severely lacking. You could've just googled everything you just asked instead of typing a lengthy rant which, by the way, just generated unnecessary body heat in your already heated state.

But let's be honest here. You really just wanted people to know you're in South Spain, didn't you. Typical humble brag  
    1.  Yes, I could have Googled it but that's not the point.  Threads are conversations...  I'm just instigating a chat with my friends.  If you're in a pub and a mate says "blah blah blah.. <any subject>...  What's all that about !", do you scold him for speaking ?  Do you say "You could've just googled everything you just asked" ?  If you do, do you find you are often alone when you go to the pub ?

2. It's Spain, not Tahiti.  @Kilgore - slight exaggeration Sir.  I was in Kefalonia in May, where we saw the sun for just 2.5 days out of the 14 we were there.  We don't normally go away that early but our dog died in January and we had the freedom to go.  It was my first holiday since before the start of Covid.  So two holidays in three and a half years...  Not quite "
    You're always posting a bit pissed up from various locations around the Med." is it ?  Now, go back to your desk and think about what you've done here.  

;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112 said:
    It’s the great advantage of the Uk, we don’t make anything any more, people can do all our jobs on a computer somewhere else, but we’ll be the only country that you can live in from about 2050.

Until the jet stream turns off that is...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    edited September 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    40+ degrees in Cheddar Gorge?  Mmmmm...  did you eat too much cheese at the gift shop?
    Nope. Do you remember when we had the hottest day recorded last year?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/20/hottest-day-of-2022-saw-638-more-deaths-than-normal-in-england ;
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    40+ degrees in Cheddar Gorge?
    It actually looks even steeper than that in parts - more like 80 or 85.

Sorry guys. 

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    IMG_4681.jpeg 889.1K
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    I did 3 weeks in The Philippines.
    It's not just the 40-45C heat, it's the relentless humidity that I struggle with.
    So.... tired....
    The 20s are fine for me.
  • I used to do lots of field work in my old job. 
    Going from Scottish winter to Kenyan heat was a shock, but after a week I was used to it. 
    I love heat though. As @DiscoStu points out, humidity is the killer.
     Kenya was like being baked in an oven.
    Jamaica was cooler but much more humid, sweat didn't evaporate & working was horrible. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    DiscoStu said:
    I did 3 weeks in The Philippines.
    It's not just the 40-45C heat, it's the relentless humidity that I struggle with.
    So.... tired....
    The 20s are fine for me.
    I've never been anywhere more humid than the Philippines.........other than the shower
  • I spent some of last July for my 60th in San Antonio Texas whilst they were having the hottest July with every day over  
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited September 2023
    I play at my dining room table.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    I spent some of last July for my 60th in San Antonio Texas whilst they were having the hottest July with every day over  
    Over......?  Keeping us in suspense?
    I have to say, I'm not particularly enjoying this break.  It will be a while before I return to Spain I think.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky in my interactions but so far I've found the locals to be grumpy, rude, impatient and arrogant.  You get the feeling that very little has changed since the 70's in respect of the architecture, decor, fashion and patriarchal attitudes.  Also, the whole place seems to shut down between 3pm and 8pm.  I know the tradition of siesta, but ffs, it's 2023...   You can't even get a snack between those hours.  Strange, rather unfriendly place.