Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Has Anyone Ever Tried To Build A Scottish Bagpipes - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Has Anyone Ever Tried To Build A Scottish Bagpipes

What's Hot
Effects pedal ?
Would it be even possible to build such a torturous sounding thing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Ach, ye cannee get the wood laddie.

Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Is there a 'cruel and unusual punishment' section this could be moved to?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    MXR Pitch Transposer mostly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Well drones are easy! Then play a few Big Country tunes on top. I always remember it being commented that their guitar melodies were bagpipe like.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Guthrie Govan used his AxeFX (or it might have been an FM9) to create the bagpipe effect for the Atriedes theme in Dune.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What's that Jeff Goldblum quote from Jurassic Park...? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I bought a RaingerFX Drone Rainger pedal to try and get close to Bulgarian bagpipes. The concept still holds up but trying to ape the scales and general vibe is proving to be tricky. 
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 202
    edited September 2023
    The thread made me curious about what scales the bagpipes use.  That would be a critical part of a bagpipy sound.(Apparently they play a mixolydian scale tuned to a non-standard pitch that is somewhere between b and b flat. Which explains a lot.)

Google Chrome suggested some related questions, including "What are bagpipes players called?"

I wonder if any members have suggestions?
    You can tune bagpipes. I used to play in a brass band and played alongside pipers on several occasions, so they definitely can be tuned to Bflat.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The thread made me curious about what scales the bagpipes use.  That would be a critical part of a bagpipy sound.(Apparently they play a mixolydian scale tuned to a non-standard pitch that is somewhere between b and b flat. Which explains a lot.)

Google Chrome suggested some related questions, including "What are bagpipes players called?"

Bernard. I think they’re all called Bernard. Even the women.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ewal said:
    Well drones are easy! Then play a few Big Country tunes on top. I always remember it being commented that their guitar melodies were bagpipe like.
    Of course - playing in the style of the instrument you're trying to emulate is the key. It's much easier to trick your brain into thinking that the sound is accurate when the phrasing is. (Hence the 'tone is in the hands' thing when players use very different gear but still sound like themselves.)

The thread made me curious about what scales the bagpipes use.  That would be a critical part of a bagpipy sound.(Apparently they play a mixolydian scale tuned to a non-standard pitch that is somewhere between b and b flat. Which explains a lot.)
    The absolute pitch is irrelevant - it's the combination of the drones, the scale and the melodies that makes them sound the way they do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    What's that Jeff Goldblum quote from Jurassic Park...? 
    "Fuck me, would you look at that?!"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Does this mean that a modern gentleman is a fellow who knows how to build a Scottish bagpipes effect pedal, but doesn't?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The thread made me curious about what scales the bagpipes use.  That would be a critical part of a bagpipy sound.(Apparently they play a mixolydian scale tuned to a non-standard pitch that is somewhere between b and b flat. Which explains a lot.)

Bernard. I think they’re all called Bernard. Even the women.
    I’d have let ye aff with something like Hamish or Angus, but Bernard?? Haha, I’ve never met a Scotsman named Bernard in aw ma puff…it’s German I think?

Bagpiper or Piper is the less funny, actual answer of course
  • Love that Stuart Adamson vid clip @ICBM thanks for posting :+1:  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    ICBM said:

The absolute pitch is irrelevant - it's the combination of the drones, the scale and the melodies that makes them sound the way they do.
    Many years ago I saw Elton Dean, Alexis Korner, and Alan Skidmore play a bagpipe piece on four saxophones. Yes, I know, four instruments and only three mouths. One of them, and I forget who, used the Roland Kirk trick of jamming a second mouthpiece into his mouth to provide the drone.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ewal said:
    You can tune bagpipes. I used to play in a brass band and played alongside pipers on several occasions, so they definitely can be tuned to Bflat.

Tuned to be flat. Gedditt? ;)
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 70
    edited September 2023
    I wonder if Electro Harmonix  or  Digitech/DOD would take on the challenge?
    Im sure the US military would order loads as weapons of torture =) Would definitely save on water bills  :#
  • steersteer Frets: 1043

Call them what you want - they will all be deafer than a 70's roadie. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They are called Pipers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I once played a tune (Loch Lomond) with the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.
  • steer said:

steer said:

What ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Effects pedal ?
    Would it be even possible to build such a torturous sounding thing?

Nothing tortuous about it, they sound glorious, and yes Adamson could make his guitar sound like the pipes and that too was glorious.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    I wonder if Electro Harmonix  or  Digitech/DOD would take on the challenge?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Disappointed to find that was launched in 2019 ... didn't seem to catch on for some foolish reason.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    I’m afraid that EHX actually announced the launch of that one on 1st April 2018.
  • Secret_Sam said:

We have a guest piper in our band (for Dropkick Murphys/long way to the top). Thankfully her pipes are close enough to Bb and we don't need to deviate from standard tuning.

We actually have to mic them up as they get lost in the mix indoors. That allows me to utter the phrase "We're just going to take a minute to make the bagpipes louder, said nobody ever, but that's what we're going to do so good luck everybody"
  • Not sure about this but I always thought bagpipes (the Scottish military type) were very restricted as far as note choice/scales and there was a limited amount of things you could play on them. Mainly tunes written specifically for them.

If there's any truth in that then I suppose it would certainly have an effect on sounding like them. 
  • SpoonMan said:
    Not sure about this but I always thought bagpipes (the Scottish military type) were very restricted as far as note choice/scales and there was a limited amount of things you could play on them. Mainly tunes written specifically for them.

If there's any truth in that then I suppose it would certainly have an effect on sounding like them. 
    You are correct.

As a Scotsman I have always viewed the bagpipes as being Satan's recorder

although that's perhaps unfair as a recorder is more versatile 
    SpoonMan said:
    Not sure about this but I always thought bagpipes (the Scottish military type) were very restricted as far as note choice/scales and there was a limited amount of things you could play on them. Mainly tunes written specifically for them.

Yes, because the drones are so strident that you can't really play anything in a different key.

From 1746 until 1996 they were defined as a military weapon and not a musical instrument :).