Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). When was the last time you fell in love someone else's guitar? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

When was the last time you fell in love someone else's guitar?

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
in Guitar tFB Trader

I get a bit jaded with nice old guitars coming in and out of my workshop - but sometimes one comes in that blows me away ... and this 1965 Firebird VII pretty much turned my head! After some pickup adjustment I tuned it up and tested it and oh lord! Sweet and full, nasty and stinging - all those sounds just leapt out ... but with a feel and playability to die for. 
It's very seldom I get envious of a vintage guitar but this old lady is utterly special. 
I'm not at liberty to tell you who she belongs to - but I think she has spoilt me for Firebirds - anything after this would be down hill!   

So have you ever fallen in love with an unattainable guitar after you got a chance to play it? 
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    @nacnudnai got a very nice CS Strat and it's kind of ruined Strats for me. Perfectly specced, the most comfortable neck I've ever played, and then he put some Foleys in it and it's perfect.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited September 2023
    Yes, I played a '60s refin Strat and realised I could never dream of owning such an instrument. But CS guitars come close enough for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    My brother had a Gretsch Country Gent. He didn't like it, I absolutely loved it.
  • On the Ivison stand at the guitar show.
    I generally don't get along with LP style guitars.  As a tele player the controls always seem too fussy.  Neil's setup of single vol and single tone sorts that out.
    I played a couple of his guitars and they have pretty much ruined any other singlecut for me.

A friend has a bloody gorgeous PRS singlecut that I like a lot, but Neil's was just right.  Felt like the best mix of LP & tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    I never touch another man’s guitar or his wife for this precise reason
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    Unfortunately my job means I have no choice ... er ... with the guitars not necessarily the wives. ;-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Played a friend's Fender strat and it was so nice. American standard, maple fretboard. Lovely vintage tones from the stock single coils. Surprised he let me borrow it, somehow I gave it back to him.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 814
    Not guitar, but amp for me  

I've always changed amps more than guitars, and still have some nice ones

I run a jam every wed, and the house amp belonging to the landlord is an orange ad30 with matching orange open back 2x12 with (I think) crlestion g65s. Its not even his main amp, he prefers his custo. 68 vibrolux. 

It just sounds so good, week in week out with whatever guitar and pedals I bring......... the relocation program will start soon. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    elstoof said:
    Unfortunately my job means I have no choice ... er ... with the guitars not necessarily the wives. ;-)
    I was hoping to drop mine in for a rewind
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Not since I very first started playing. A mate of mine had a Washburn super strat thing and he made it sound so beautiful I thought, 'one day, I will be that good'. I never did become that good though! But I did buy the washburn off him when he eventually sold it, and it's in my collection to this day. I don't play it much but I'll never sell it.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited September 2023
    Everyday probably...

@Hattigol has a few 335s that I've lusted after, and thought about robbing his house...

Thing is, (so Ive heard) he has a small yappy dog and a large spider in the conservatory.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    When I was 14/15 my best mate had a MIJ fender squier series strat. It was the first guitar I’ve ever played with one of the “proper” makers names on the headstock and it was a thing of beauty among teenagers with a collection of encores, Yamahas, fenix etc. it was so much more playable and had the aura. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Saturday a 50s esquire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Would’ve been back in 2014 when I went to a Fretboard Gearfest in North London. A forum member turned up with one of these

Instantly fell in love with it. Shame they cost so much

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    1979 Rick Nielsen's Explorer. I had never seen one before and thought it was amazing. Sadly the nearest I got was his guitar pick (which I still have).
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    elstoof said:
    Rewinding wives is a special order :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I recall being very fond of @meltedbuzzbox Sonic Blue Jazzmaster. That's probably the last time I'd say. on the other side of the coin, @punchesjudy has always e-loved my 330, and has recently paid actual money to make it his own. Oh, and pretty much anyone who's played my Jaguar goes a bit gooey over it. Mick Taylor of TPS the latest victim. (He may not have remembered my name accurately, but he certainly remembers the guitar).

- Dan / Josh / James

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    The one that always stays with me is when I tried a Travis Bean TB1000S back in the late 1970s. It was at a small trade show in Southampton. I was just blown away by the whole design, playability and tone. I've lusted after once ever since, but the prices have always been way too high for my budget.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Stevepage said:
    Would’ve been back in 2014 when I went to a Fretboard Gearfest in North London. A forum member turned up with one of these

Instantly fell in love with it. Shame they cost so much

I’ve always had a thing for those too. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Back in the late '60s I had the chance to borrow for a few months a Gretsch Country Gent, same model as Harrison's. Still dream about it… and wonder where it is now.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    elstoof said:
    elstoof said:
    Can you clock them as well? 
    tFB Trader
    elstoof said:
    elstoof said:
    Can you clock them as well? 
    Nowadays you have to connect them to a computer to do that ... you used to be able to use an electric drill ... 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

but I think she has spoilt me for Firebirds - anything after this would be down hill!   

That realisation will save you some time and money looking for one!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I recall being very fond of @meltedbuzzbox Sonic Blue Jazzmaster. That's probably the last time I'd say. on the other side of the coin, @punchesjudy has always e-loved my 330, and has recently paid actual money to make it his own. Oh, and pretty much anyone who's played my Jaguar goes a bit gooey over it. Mick Taylor of TPS the latest victim. (He may not have remembered my name accurately, but he certainly remembers the guitar).

- Dan / Josh / James

Yep. Always e loved Gavs old 330. Always said I’d want it if he sells so had to make it happen. Had to shift two guitars I very much liked to be able to do it and was a bit scared I’d hate the neck since I played some newer Rics and was instantly turned off. Nope, Gav was right. The 80s Ric necks are bloody brilliant. Instantly playable and comfy.. Deal done. Now I get to stare at it in person <3 
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

but I think she has spoilt me for Firebirds - anything after this would be down hill!   

That realisation will save you some time and money looking for one!
    Absolutely lol ... every rain cloud has a rainy lining ;-)

I might still look for a Firebird V one day as the VII's middle pickup is a bit of an acquired taste ... but it looks great! 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    I recall being very fond of @meltedbuzzbox Sonic Blue Jazzmaster. That's probably the last time I'd say. on the other side of the coin, @punchesjudy has always e-loved my 330, and has recently paid actual money to make it his own. Oh, and pretty much anyone who's played my Jaguar goes a bit gooey over it. Mick Taylor of TPS the latest victim. (He may not have remembered my name accurately, but he certainly remembers the guitar).

- Dan / Josh / James

Hmm, yes that CS Jazzmaster is one of the best guitars I've ever played. His CS Jaguar is equally incredible, imho and the ES-345 is stunning. @meltedbuzzbox is a very fortunate chap.

In my job I occasionally get to handle some 'guitar royalty' and the last one that really connected with me was when I got to hold Lynval's white Telecaster that he used for all the original Specials stuff. Proper hairs on the back of my neck stuff, having seen it on TV and live on stage. And it is a particularly lovely guitar that I would have quite happily taken home... but thankfully Lynval still has it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• My mates dad's 73 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. An outrageously nice guitar to play. Pretty much perfect really. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    edited September 2023
    That would be when @Gassage posted a NGD on his 1990 Fender CS Strat...
  • Happens every week! :D 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I went to see Ariel Posen last week and man, that Mule Strat is sexy as hell… seriously considering a baritone mule strat