Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What would you grab if your house is on fire/earthquake? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What would you grab if your house is on fire/earthquake?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• My kids would have me risk my life for the Nintendo Switch and their favourite cuddly toys, but if they, the dog and my husband were safe, I don't think I'd be going back in for anything. It's all just stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Actually, looking at the question again, I'd have two different responses

Fire: Yes, grab something
    Earthquake: Get out NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!

This is assuming my family were all out. I would never leave anyone whatever the danger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • kinkin Frets: 1014
    swiller said:
    guitars
    Hollands steak and kidney puddings from the freezer
    Slippers
    Wallet
    Laptop.
    'kin sorted
    i'm sorry, look i know our relationship has been on rocky ground for a while but you could have found a kinder way to tell me you value me less than slippers and pies!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799

I think i would grab the NAS / Hard drive of photos and perhaps my blue PRS.
    Aah of course, something to keep the door open whilst you run in and out, excellent thinking.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckee said:
    Probably my special w4nking glove. 
    You have one as well, I take it you are married  =)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Fire extinguisher. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • We have a bag with important papers, that'd go. Then the laptops in a bag and the cameras and lenses in another. None of the guitar gear is worth worrying about.
    Oh yeah, the dog gets picked up first.
  • Wife and kids, then the NAS that's in the hallway by the front door.

The cat is smart enough to get out by herself, and fucking mental enough to bite and scratch if I tried to carry her out of a burning building.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    In Rubiales-stylee, my gonads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    The fire extinguisher ?
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    The cats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah: assuming my wife and the kids are out, next on the list is the dogs.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    My cat.  

Oh and my kid.  
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Who here has been in an earthquake, out of curiosity?  Do they have those in the UK?

You’re not running out the door until the shaking stop, unless you already happen to be right at the door.  

Once the shaking stops, you either go back to work/bed or gtfo (usually the former if you’re in a first world country with modern building codes).
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    Do we have to take anything?  Can we not just leave the property stand down wind, and perhaps ask the fire fighters to go grab a brew for a few hours, before they go all heroic with the water works?
  • I've experienced two earthquakes @Cranky ; ... the first was in the late 70s in the UK when I was out running in a forest with my fellow oarsmen and more recently this one:

https://greekreporter.com/2016/05/25/earthquake-5-6-on-richter-scale-rocks-crete/

So, neither were damaging but they are both memorable.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    My trousers, in the interests of modesty.
  • Cranky said:
    Who here has been in an earthquake, out of curiosity?  Do they have those in the UK?

You’re not running out the door until the shaking stop, unless you already happen to be right at the door.  

Once the shaking stops, you either go back to work/bed or gtfo (usually the former if you’re in a first world country with modern building codes).
    I’ve been in 2, much like @stufisher ;

The first was in the early 80s when I was a kid in Cheshire. Made the house shake, and as I was off school ill in bed I initially thought it was some temperature-induced hallucination. 

The other was on the last New Year’s Eve, when I was in Almeria, Spain. Again, made the house shake and woke me up.

https://m.emsc.eu/index.php#page2
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • My collection of Club Magazines (‘88-‘94). 
  • Cranky said:

I was in one about 20 years ago, give or take. I lived in Derby at the time. It felt as though someone had slammed a heavy door with force somewhere nearby, only without the noise. I had no idea what had happened until I saw it on the local news the next day.

Apparently there are loads of small earthquakes in the UK all the time. They're generally fairly localised and not destructive, so beyond local news nobody takes much of an interest.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.