Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What would you grab if your house is on fire/earthquake? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What would you grab if your house is on fire/earthquake?

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
So I was texting a friend who lives in Rabat on Friday night and they had a massive earthquake (she's fine as it's far from the epicenter), and then everyone went on the street in the few hours after in case of aftershocks, and people grab what they could.  They were still outside at 2:30am when she sent me a photo of some dude, topless, in a pair of shorts, no shoes, holding a PS5.  No cables, no controller, just a PS5 on the street.

What would you bring out?  Let's assume you have your phone/wallet/passport in your pocket.  What would you take in your 2 free hands?

I think i would grab the NAS / Hard drive of photos and perhaps my blue PRS.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    the house insurance policy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    Wife and children

(by which I mean my guitar and my pedals, I don’t really)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Probably my special w4nking glove. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Looking at that earthquake and the damage it caused I'd probably grab my arse and kiss it goodbye.

On a more serious note I would probably grab my medication. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I love Ricky Gervais's answer to this: "One of the twins."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Probably my pedal board to be honest. I hate soldering patch leads lol

• My three Chihuahuas and three cats. I reckon between the wife and I we could just about scoop all six up in one go.

Then send the wife back in to grab as many guitars as she could.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    This is like the prize conveyor on The Generation Game

PRS guitar, pedal board, medication, special wanking glove...
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Shrews said:

I would grab my cameras but they are all insured and each camera is identical to the next.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Assuming that the wife & kids are OK, My irreplaceable no 1 guitar with one hand and the home mac backup with our family photos in the other hand.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    Good to see that the 'get out, stay out, call us out' campaign was successful. Yeah there's plenty of time just to nip round the house and grab a few of your favourite posessions. Fire doesn't spread all that quickly and a bit of smoke never harmed anyone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My main guitar (modified Squier Strat) and probably my Kemper profiler.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Shrews said:

About the right demographic too...  B)
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    guitars
    Hollands steak and kidney puddings from the freezer
    Slippers
    Wallet
    Laptop.
    'kin sorted
    Dont worry, be silly.
    Keiko said:
    Good to see that the 'get out, stay out, call us out' campaign was successful. Yeah there's plenty of time just to nip round the house and grab a few of your favourite posessions. Fire doesn't spread all that quickly and a bit of smoke never harmed anyone.
    I have literally never heard of that campaign!

I'd nip back in to squirt some lighter fluid on the wife's Westlife CDs
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    axisus said:
    Keiko said:
    I have literally never heard of that campaign!

Well it was introduced a while ago  https://www.lgcplus.com/archive/minister-announces-fire-public-safety-campaign-get-out-stay-out-call-999-23-10-2002/
    It does still exist in various places, but there isn't the coherent widespread Public Information system as existed in the 1970's & 80's.
    https://staywise.co.uk/blue-light-users/resource/maths-code-breaker-get-out-stay-out-call-999
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    A telephone and telephone the rest of the occupants when I was a safe distance away that the house was on FIRE
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A bottle of water,  a sandwich and a blanket. 
  • Favourite strat, and favourite Les Paul.

People saying to grab the backups of your computer - get yourself a cloud backup plan from Backblaze or some such, and save an extra guitar from a fiery demise !
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • In one hand, my briefcase containing my journals. In the other, my hard-drive full of old photos. And with my incredibly dextrous toes I'd grab the cat before hopping away to freedom.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    Fill a cup with water and try and coax my goldfish to jump into it; it takes too long trying to catch him by hand.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Cats
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    A few cameras and lenses (certainly the 5DSR and the 600/4), laptop (in that bag are hard drives with important data also), and I can carry two guitars in the other hand. The Maton WA May and the Tacoma Thunderhawk ... no, the Cole Clark Angel. All else aside, I doubt I could carry the Thunderhawk and another guitar in one hand - it's too big and heavy.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Dominic said:
    the house insurance policy
    I know it sounds sad, but have a fireproof container about the size of a briefcase in the bottom of my wardrobe in which I keep all my important documentation like insurance certificates and policies, passport, driver's licence, birth certificate, contact addresses and phone numbers, medical insurance docs, household inventory with serial numbers (including musical equipment with photos), flash drives and external hard drives with important and sentimental / irreplaceable docs and photos, and a spare PAYG mobile phone that I charge regularly and keep topped up with a balance.  If the house burns down and I can't grab the container as I run out the house the important stuff will still be there intact in the rubble.  I don't suppose that would help if it was an earthquake and the whole house collapsed with the container buried in it and I managed to crawl out, but there's only so much you can do as far as contingency planning is concerned.  Most physical objects can be replaced, but if you have the means to make it as easy as possible to start getting back on your feet that's more important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    My family, dogs and truck keys.  If time, my best acoustic.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Fuck all.  I'd get the hell out of there as fast as possible.  Everything is replaceable except your life.  Nothing is more important than that.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Imagine what would be going through Josef Fritzl's mind if he had to leave the house without any preparation time...
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    My watch.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    I have an emergency bag packed and ready just in case "something" ever happens.  I'd probably just grab that and make sure the family is out safely. 

Almost everything else are just things and things can be replaced.

We have friends who literally lost everything in a fire, they no longer have what most people would call cherished possessions, family heirlooms gone.  Wedding photographs gone.  The lot just burned to ash, not to mention the roof over their head, the car and the business all up in smoke.

They don't seem to have suffered too much for it.  Yes it was distressing for them but as they will admit, it could have been a lot worse and nobody in the family was hurt or injured. 

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.