Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Looking for a reverb pedal - FX Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Looking for a reverb pedal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
    edited September 2023
    Also, if I'm predominantly playing on the clean channel how important is it that I use the FX loop for the reverb? As its not being overdriven at the pre amp stage there's little effect? Or should I still use the loop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My current favourite is the Catalinbread talisman. Plate style reverb, so not as versatile as some but a great sound.

Definitely second the Dispatch Master. Again, simple but quality. 

I do also like the Hall of Fame (I've got a Trinity which is the same with a couple of different presets). If I listen carefully in isolation I don't like the sound quite as much as the other two but it's so versatile and I like the Toneprint options. Still a good option and I still use it for gigging. 

The Strymon stuff is great and very tweakable but these days I prefer single boss size pedals and simple controls, for practical purposes. 
    Ah, not heard of the Catalinbread. Weird name. Must check that one out. I kinda want a range of reverbs though, so hall, plate, room, church etc.

And yes I do prefer a smaller pedal size, not one of those massive boxes that takes up about 4 pedal sizes.
    Ah yeah the Catalinbread is just one plate style (a nice one though, and can get pretty ambient /spacious).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My current favourite is the Catalinbread talisman. Plate style reverb, so not as versatile as some but a great sound.

Definitely second the Dispatch Master. Again, simple but quality. 

I do also like the Hall of Fame (I've got a Trinity which is the same with a couple of different presets). If I listen carefully in isolation I don't like the sound quite as much as the other two but it's so versatile and I like the Toneprint options. Still a good option and I still use it for gigging. 

The Strymon stuff is great and very tweakable but these days I prefer single boss size pedals and simple controls, for practical purposes. 
    Ah, not heard of the Catalinbread. Weird name. Must check that one out. I kinda want a range of reverbs though, so hall, plate, room, church etc.

And yes I do prefer a smaller pedal size, not one of those massive boxes that takes up about 4 pedal sizes.
    Ah yeah the Catalinbread is just one plate style (a nice one though, and can get pretty ambient /spacious).
    Will probably make me sound better haha.
  • One advantage of the Neunaber is you can change the reverb type if you ever want to by using the computer softawre - can be a hall, plate, spring etc
  • Also, if I'm predominantly playing on the clean channel how important is it that I use the FX loop for the reverb? As its being overdriven at the pre amp stage there's little effect? Or should I still use the loop?
    I’ve just got a Strymon Bluesky.  Still playing around with it but very impressed. I will probably put it in the loop for gigs but it sounds great in front of the amp with my clean channel.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    The MXR M300 Reverb is worth a look. I have one and it works brilliantly as a reverb in that you turn it on, forget it, and have good reverb/space on your guitar sound. 

It’s got some cool settings in it, but it’s main selling point for me is that it doesn’t try to attention grab. It’s nicely voiced and it’s an MXR pedal which generally are good. Sure it’s not as boutique as some others, but it’s a fucking reverb and only some reverb sounds are actually usable. Especially if you want an “always on” type thing. 

This is really good at the always on thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    What kind of reverb?  Like, spring, plate, something celestial?
  • Cranky said:
    All the generic ones, hall, spring, plate, cave etc. I would like a few to toggle between.
  • Cranky said:
    All the generic ones, hall, spring, plate, cave etc. I would like a few to toggle between.
    If you did opt for a Neunaber Wet, you can buy the EXP controller which you can use for upto 8 presets. Mine is now sold, but they come up fairly often for not a lot of money
  • Nerine said:
    The MXR M300 Reverb is worth a look. I have one and it works brilliantly as a reverb in that you turn it on, forget it, and have good reverb/space on your guitar sound. 

It’s got some cool settings in it, but it’s main selling point for me is that it doesn’t try to attention grab. It’s nicely voiced and it’s an MXR pedal which generally are good. Sure it’s not as boutique as some others, but it’s a fucking reverb and only some reverb sounds are actually usable. Especially if you want an “always on” type thing. 

This is really good at the always on thing. 
    Always on is good, unless I’m playing a solo on a lead sound. On cleans depending what I‘m playing some subtle reverb to fill out the sound is what I like, esp for fingerstyle chords.
  • Cranky said:
    If you did opt for a Neunaber Wet, you can buy the EXP controller which you can use for upto 8 presets. Mine is now sold, but they come up fairly often for not a lot of money
    Yeah that’s cool it just didn’t appeal to me unfortunately, but I do appreciate the offer.
  • Cranky said:
    Yeah that’s cool it just didn’t appeal to me unfortunately, but I do appreciate the offer.
    No worries. I've had the Hardwire Reverb before and that is brilliant. 
  • Cranky said:
    I have a Dispatch Master for big reverb that I just run into subtle always on amp reverb. I would rule the Dispatch Master out if you want several types of reverb though. Strongly suggest picking a pedal with presets for a variety of reverbs in a live setting.
  • Cranky said:
    I have a Dispatch Master for big reverb that I just run into subtle always on amp reverb. I would rule the Dispatch Master out if you want several types of reverb though. Strongly suggest picking a pedal with presets for a variety of reverbs in a live setting.
    Hmm yeah good call, as nice as it sounds if probably excels in one type of reverb only as opposed to different styles.