Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New York recommendations? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New York recommendations?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2359
    The Intrepid Museum beside the Circle Line boat trips is worth a visit too.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It’s been ten years since I went but one of the best things we did was to get the metro out to Brooklyn Heights…. Grab a sandwich in the Plymouth Cafe and then walk back to Manhattan across Brooklyn Bridge.  You get the best views of NYC from there. 
    Also recommend Chelsea Guitars next to the infamous Chelsea hotel - worth a quick look in the lobby for the artworks on display.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bcjimbcjim Frets: 39
    We had an excellent morning as follows:

- Subway out to Rockaway.  (Farthest out point you can get with your subway pass?).  Walk the beach.  Tapas at an excellent ‘hole in the wall’ place.

- Taxi to Coney Island.  Walk the boardwalk.  Ride the classic Cyclone woody rollercoaster.  

- Subway to Brooklyn.  Lunch and a few beers in an excellent bar we stumbled across.

- Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge back in to Manhattan.

Jim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I must spend time looking all this up.  Again, thanks!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    edited September 2023
    One of my favourite parts of NYC is the East Village, the blocks between 3rd &1st Ave. Orientate yourself around St Marks Place and there are loads of good bars and eating places around there, plus some quirky shops. It has a very cool vibe IMO.
    2nd Ave has lots of neat places on it, including the Brick Lane Curry House - all round there you are spoilt for choice for restaurants. 
    The Grey Dog on University Place, West Village is good for breakfast. Buzzing and hip place. 

Times Sq is best avoided IMO - a real tourist trap and not worth the effort.

Kenn's Broome St Bar, W Broadway is a nice bar, good beers.

The walk down the Hudson River on the West side of Manhattan is nice.

High Line is brilliant - take a camera, some very neat views, goes through some cool areas too.

Note - central park is huge, seriously huge.

The whole of Manhattan is walkable. In all the times I've visited I've never used the metro or buses - you can walk it. SoHo and Tribeca are interesting areas, the walk from Midtown to Battery Park is a good one/

Have a great time, I love the place.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter