Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New York recommendations? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New York recommendations?

What's Hot
Hi,

I'm off to New York in November, a trip based mostly around UFC 295 (tickets secured, at ridiculous prices).  I'll be there for four nights and aside from indulging in my passion for pizza, I'm really not sure what to do.

Any 'must-do's'?  Any venues or places that are worth dropping into for smaller gigs (metal/rock, preferably)?

Cheers!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    edited September 2023
    Rudy’s music shop down by the village is worth a look, they’ve usually got some beautiful old guitars in there. 

Grimaldi’s pizza under the bridge in Brooklyn is worth a trip too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    Top of the Rock or Empire State at sunset. Rock has a better view except you can't see the Chrysler. ESB has the Chrysler but you can't see the ESB, obv. 

Hang out in Central Park for half a day. It's massive and really lovely. 

The Met, Moma, Guggenheim and Natural History Museums are all excellent. The Met is my favourite. 

Chelsea Market is always fun, as is the Highline walk, which is round the corner. 

Statue of Liberty is ok but takes ages. The Staten Island ferry is free and gets you close enough for a view of it without taking half the day. 

There are venues all over the place - best bet is to look up listings for the dates you'll be free somewhere like songkick.com 

I haven't been in November but NYC gets seriously cold in winter - check what it'll be like and pack accordingly. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’m normally there in November and it’s just about starting to get cold around then. January is when it’ll try to kill you

• I was there in February, and the weather was great. Clear blue sky and plenty of sun, just with a bit of a nip in the air. I think we just got lucky.

Would definitely recommend a trip up The Edge at Hudson's Yards. It has a partial glass floor looking directly below from one hundred stories up. And as @stickyfiddle says, the Empire State at sunset is stunning. Highly recommended.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Bubby's, in Tribeca.

The very best breakfast (meal???) that I have ever had, do not miss this.

https://www.bubbys.com/
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Never been but... i would...
    Start spreading the news (you have kind of done that by asking on here i guess)
    Are you going today?
    Get to the very heart of it..
    nu yawk, nu yaaaaawwwk.

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bubby's, in Tribeca.

Blimey , I used to live a few blocks from there - that takes me back . The Odeon is a good spot down there for a late night dinner and the Ear Inn slightly further north is a lovely historic bar that plays some nice bebop on a Sunday morning to go with your hangover breakfast of Guinness and roast potatoes from the bar.

I think to really get the feel of the place you need to walk everyone and stumble across life as it happens which will be difficult in a short period of time but I’m sure you’ll have a great time 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    edited September 2023
    Bubby's, in Tribeca.

Blimey , I used to live a few blocks from there - that takes me back . The Odeon is a good spot down there for a late night dinner and the Ear Inn slightly further north is a lovely historic bar that plays some nice bebop on a Sunday morning to go with your hangover breakfast of Guinness and roast potatoes from the bar.

I think to really get the feel of the place you need to walk everyone and stumble across life as it happens which will be difficult in a short period of time but I’m sure you’ll have a great time 

Definitely this. We walked from our hotel near Times Square to the World Trade Center and stumbled across this....

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bubby's, in Tribeca.

I think to really get the feel of the place you need to walk everyone and stumble across life as it happens which will be difficult in a short period of time but I’m sure you’ll have a great time 

Definitely this. We walked from our hotel near Manhattan Square to the World Trade Center and stumbled across this....

Tres cool and coincidentally about 2 minutes walk from @guitargeek62 ’s recommended eaterie Bubbys !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Pick 3 general areas and just walk about. You'll never see everything in one trip.

1. Battery Park  (free Staten Island Ferry for a trip past Statue of Liberty and a stunning view of Manhattan from Staten Island)/ Financial District / Tribeca / Greenwich Village
    2. Chelsea / Highline/ Hudson Yards (and as noted already, the Edge is meant to be superb - a friend is just back and highly recommended it)
    3. Grand Central / New York Public Library / 5th Avenue / St Patricks Cathedral / Trump Tower / Central Park

They'd be my pick alongside any of Empire State / Rock / Freedom Tower and a walk over Brooklyn Bridge to pizza at Grimaldis. Brooklyn generally is very cool too. "Real" New York - Brownstones and groovy bars. 

Can I come?
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1109
    edited September 2023
    2 Bros Pizza. Any of them.

Also - if you're down in or around the Financial District, the White Horse Tavern is a great place for a cheap beer. They'll do a pint and a shot for $5 including tax.

A short hop from there is my favourite place on earth, Battery Park.

In terms of Museums, AMNH is a must. A bit further afield is the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn, which is a bit different but well worth the admission to see the old trains and learn about the most inconvenient public transport system in the world.

For observation decks, I preferred Rockefeller to Empire State. You can't get pictures of King Kongs tower from standing atop it. Plus Rockefeller has the better views of the Park too.

Keep an eye on social media for gigs too. There are plenty of venues that are free entry with a drink purchase for the first X amount of people who arrive. That's how we saw Sam Ryder in a venue as big as the average living room for the cost of an overpriced lager.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Great city to walk.  Try to do a couple of museums and Central Park and pop over to Brooklyn.

I like to wander around the NYU area but I avoid Times Square. 
  • Ghostbusters is my favourite movie in the world by a country mile. I have been to NYC 5 or 6 times and still never been to 8 Hook & Ladder. Next time I will not miss it... 

Also if you need recommendations for gluten free places hit me up...!
  • Top of the Rock or Empire State at sunset. Rock has a better view except you can't see the Chrysler. ESB has the Chrysler but you can't see the ESB, obv. 

Hang out in Central Park for half a day. It's massive and really lovely. 

The Met, Moma, Guggenheim and Natural History Museums are all excellent. The Met is my favourite. 

Chelsea Market is always fun, as is the Highline walk, which is round the corner. 

Statue of Liberty is ok but takes ages. The Staten Island ferry is free and gets you close enough for a view of it without taking half the day. 

There are venues all over the place - best bet is to look up listings for the dates you'll be free somewhere like songkick.com 

I haven't been in November but NYC gets seriously cold in winter - check what it'll be like and pack accordingly. 
    You've already got most of our favourites on your list. I'd add the Witney Gallery, just off the Highline Park for an interesting collection of modern art.

Both times we’ve been we stayed in Brooklyn and commuted on the East River ferry which was more scenic and less confusing than the subway.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Ellis Island 
    Grimaldi’s
    Top of the Rock
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 861
    edited September 2023
    The first morning you wake up there you, will be hours ahead of everyone. Get up and have a good walk around before everyone else does. See loads of interesting quirks of the city on foot and then get a big pancake breakfast. I did top of the rock as soon as it opened and it was queue free. Maybe check who is playing at BB kings place and the Iridium too?
  • This is where we're staying, so Central Park is an easy one!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93520-Reviews-Park_Central_Hotel_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

Good advice, @musteatbrain - I've just decided to knock booze on the head, so that will likely be easy for me, as I'll not be hungover all weekend.  My mate who is coming with me will likely not be as early a riser, so I'll head off solo.  Although the dispensaries there will be getting checked out.

Thanks for everything so far.  I'll need to read up on a bunch of these places.  Any good travel guides/books?  I'm worried, like most of my trips with the wife, I'll try and blag it and miss out (for instance, the Van Gogh museum was fully booked when we were in Amsterdam).

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Roger Sadowsky's workshop is a great visit.

One of the best things I did in NY was get a bus down to Battery Park, and then walk all the way back up Broadway to my hotel. Passed through all the different areas on the way, Chinatown, Little Italy etc etc. Amazing how different it feels in each area.

Katz Deli is worth a visit for some famous sandwiches.

See if you can get into the Blue Note Jazz club - both for the music and the food.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you like a steak, Smith & Wollensky is memorable. Book well in advance though.

"I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • No idea where you're looking for accomodation but we've stayed at Giraffe and The Library. Both central Manhattan and quite expensive but really great. 

Katz's pastrami and brisket is SO GOOD. Similarly if you want the best salmon & cream cheese bagel on earth, Russ & Daughters is round the corner. 

I was going to suggest Campbell's Apartments for drinks, but if you're off booze it's probably not worth it! 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    No idea where you're looking for accomodation but we've stayed at Giraffe and The Library. Both central Manhattan and quite expensive but really great. 

Katz's pastrami and brisket is SO GOOD. Similarly if you want the best salmon & cream cheese bagel on earth, Russ & Daughters is round the corner. 

I was going to suggest Campbell's Apartments for drinks, but if you're off booze it's probably not worth it! 

Snap

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    I would go back to Katz but would give Russ & Daughters a miss as I am not a big bagel fan and I think the Lox (salmon) is nice but not worth the price tag, i think it came to like £25 with taxes and tips.

• Thanks for everything so far.  I'll need to read up on a bunch of these places.  Any good travel guides/books?  I'm worried, like most of my trips with the wife, I'll try and blag it and miss out (for instance, the Van Gogh museum was fully booked when we were in Amsterdam).
    Its not deep but for a snapshot of what you may enjoy thats easy to pick up and dip into by area - the DK eyewitness guide is brilliant 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyewitness-York-City-Travel-Guide/dp/0241510600/ref=asc_df_0241510600/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=535857031875&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1304686691561089845&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045685&hvtargid=pla-1434832497730&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
  • Thanks, @DrCornelius - I'll order that now :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited September 2023
    Greenacre Park - a hidden treat in midtown (you only need 1/2 hour there) then walk round to The Smith restaurant, pricey but great food (book in advance as it gets busy)

Toro Loco on Stone Street in the Financial District was the best Mexican food I've eaten outside of Mexico, the quesabirria tacos were exceptional

the new arty Little Island is fun

Staten Island Ferry, grab a coffee and a nose round the shops at the other end then get the next ferry back, great views of Governors Island

Get up early and walk the Brooklyn Bridge - this was a wonderful moment for me and finally crossed it off the bucket list on 3rd visit.

I've been 3 times but I could go back to NYC over and over again just to try out the thousands of different food places

• This is where we're staying, so Central Park is an easy one!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93520-Reviews-Park_Central_Hotel_New_York-New_York_City_New_York.html

Good advice, @musteatbrain - I've just decided to knock booze on the head, so that will likely be easy for me, as I'll not be hungover all weekend.  My mate who is coming with me will likely not be as early a riser, so I'll head off solo.  Although the dispensaries there will be getting checked out.

Thanks for everything so far.  I'll need to read up on a bunch of these places.  Any good travel guides/books?  I'm worried, like most of my trips with the wife, I'll try and blag it and miss out (for instance, the Van Gogh museum was fully booked when we were in Amsterdam).
    @imalrightjack ;

I asked about New York a little while back and @rocktron posted loads of useful stuff. Go to page 2 of the thread here https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/245707/new-york/p2
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Staying in that part of town, If you’re up early then Central Park zoo is worth walking past while the sun rises to see the seals and the mechanical clock tower. There’s not a whole lot on the upper west side, or the upper east side either unless shopping on Madison Ave appeals to you. 

Midtown is mostly offices and retail, there’s a few good restaurants around. Ess-a-bagel is the best for bagels around there, if you like ramen then Hide-chan is close by. Library hotel mentioned has a nice little rooftop bar. Most of the hip places will be further downtown but it’s quick to get there on the subway. Get used to using Uber if you plan on going to Brooklyn for a night out, and if you want a steak experience then book a table at Peter Luger in Williamsburg
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    We had a great time earlier this year. A lot of walking - Brooklyn Bridge, DUMBO, Battery Park, South Cove Park, 9/11 Memorial, The High Line, Circle Line Boat Trip we're all highlights. Although it's mainly just wandering and soaking it up.

Two tourist things I was less in to were Katz Deli (Tick Tock Diner on 8th Ave was much better) and Top of The Rock (way overbooked imo). If I was looking for a viewpoint, I'd maybe try The Edge next time.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • There's a boat tour that does as much of a lap of Manhattan as is possible. One the way out it goes inside Liberty and outside on the way back.

Unless you really want to climb the statue you'll get better photos from the boat than you will on Liberty Island.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • There's a boat tour that does as much of a lap of Manhattan as is possible. One the way out it goes inside Liberty and outside on the way back.

Unless you really want to climb the statue you'll get better photos from the boat than you will on Liberty Island.
    I think a boat tour is a must.  It will tick a bunch of boxes in a time-saving way!

Thanks @littlegreenman :)

My band, Red For Dissent