Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Squier 40th Anni Strat £259 - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Squier 40th Anni Strat £259

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• blueskunk said:
    I’ve just ordered a Squier Paranormal offset tele in Crimson red for £225 shipped.
    Well pleased at that price!
    Yeah I was close to getting that with the bucker !

Good score sir
    Thanks,
    theres a nice black one as well, but the red looks lovely.
    Will go rather nice with my paranormal cyclone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    I keep coming back to these as a bargain strat but has anyone played or owned one?    Similar quality to a classic vibe or better?  

Im not a big fan of any of the colours and I suspect that’s part of the reason there is a surplus they are selling cheap.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    They are cheap as they are end of line. 2022 is long gone and these were released nearly two years ago now. They want them gone to use the (not free) warehouse space for incoming guitars. They were a tad overpriced to begin with (most expensive Squiers etc) and the influencers have already shot their load. Pays yer money, takes yer chances....
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    I’ve had a Strat, a J and a P bass from the 40th range and all have been very impressive, beyond the price point. 

The necks are fabulous, weight spot on, hardware great, fretwork even and well finished and the build faultless. The pickups on the Strat were satisfactory, if not stellar but that’s the only place I could mark them down. 

These are well playing and stable instruments that could go from box to stage quite happily and are all a player could ever need. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The huge cancellation of orders at Fender was apparently a lot of these types of guitar?!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    edited September 2023
    I don't need another strat, but I quite like this one.  I've never owned a Squier before - are the tuners, electrics, pickups, neck, fretwork all good enough and robust enough for gigging?

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023

Because it's basically a Squier Affinity renamed and available in different colours.

Voxman said:
    I don't need another strat, but I quite like this one.  I've never owned a Squier before - are the tuners, electrics, pickups, neck, fretwork all good enough and robust enough for gigging?

I would say they're not, and the people you do see gigging with them spend a fortune getting them gigable and keeping them in gigging condition, via techs upgrading parts and fixing issues - there's a famous American Jazz guitarist who used what he claimed was a stock Squier Affinity Strat what he didn't tell you was that it was modified though he did admit to having one mod done to it or that he was paying a tech a fortune setting up the guitar before every gig and checking it over after every gig and replacing parts and this is a Jazz guitarist these people don't gig often nor ''play hard''.   I can't remember the American Jazz guitarist's name, but at one point he was bragging that Gibson where supposedly making him a custom signature hollowbody, he had a huge falling out with his now ex guitar tech, and that tech did an interview where he outed the Jazz guitarist over his ''non modified Squier'',  it was an image thing and part of this Jazz guitarists showmanship and act that everything other Jazz guitarists could do he could do on an unmodified stock Squier Affinity Strat - if this truly was the case why was he bragging about a Gibson signature hollowbody being made for him which incidentally never materialised nor did an Epiphone version.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    edited September 2023

Because it's basically a Squier Affinity renamed and available in different colours.
    Squier affinity has ceramic pickups , the 40th anniversary has Alnico 5.

The 40th has a bone nut v the affinity plastic one

The 40th has tall narrow frets v affinity medium jumbo

The 40th has a proper JM bridge and trem , the affinity doesn’t

The 40th has a satin neck and an anodised aluminium pickguard 

The 40th has lightly aged hardware and neck tint  , the affinity doesn’t 

There are more differences but I can’t be arsed to type them all out - please don’t post stuff like that unless you know what you are talking about @CavemanGrogg ;as people who don’t know any better will take what you type as fact and it may influence their buying decisions !

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Voxman said:
    …………good enough and robust enough for gigging?
    Had that exact guitar and 100% yes 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

There are more differences but I can’t be arsed to type them all out - please don’t post stuff like that unless you know what you are talking about @CavemanGrogg ;Grogg as people who don’t know any better will take what you type as fact and it may influence their buying decisions !

Yes but apart from the wood, the frets, all the hardware, the finish, the pickups, the dimensions and the name, it’s exactly the same guitar 

I’ve never actually had an Affinity but I did have a Squier Bullet Tele I bought new for £95 and that was perfectly playable and completely stable too. Would have happily used that in a band as it was.  Oh, it went to you to pass on didn’t it. Fabulous thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajl said:

There are more differences but I can’t be arsed to type them all out - please don’t post stuff like that unless you know what you are talking about @CavemanGrogg ;Grogg as people who don’t know any better will take what you type as fact and it may influence their buying decisions !

Yes but apart from the wood, the frets, all the hardware, the finish, the pickups, the dimensions and the name, it’s exactly the same guitar 

I’ve never actually had an Affinity but I did have a Squier Bullet Tele I bought new for £95 and that was perfectly playable and completely stable too. Would have happily used that in a band as it was.  Oh, it went to you to pass on didn’t it. Fabulous thing. 
    It did mate (thank you) , it’s still very happily being used by patients at a young persons secure mental health hospital in Dorset :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Voxman said:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/mike-rutherford-genesis-squier-bullet-strat
  • Really tempted by the Jazzmaster for that price. 

I’ve no real need for it and I’m well covered for single coil tones between my Tele and P90 Riviera but having seen so many great guitar players use them, I’m still drawn to it.

Does anyone reckon this would need a neck shim to change the break angle? I know it’s fairly common with some of the Classic Vibe JMs and I’m assuming the 40th range is pretty close spec wise to them.
  • I've been eyeing up the basses for a while so at this price I couldnt say no.

May end up using the neck as a donor for my P bass - I much prefer a J neck - but will need to wait and see what's what first. 
  • That blond tele with black body binding keeps winking at me
  • Apologies @CavemanGrogg - reading back my earlier comment comes over as harsher than it sounded in my head when I was typing it !
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 119
    edited September 2023
    Well, the Strat arrived today and it is a great guitar for the money. Small tweak to the action and relief (both a little too much for my taste) and I was off. Lost an hour just playing the thing. 

Can’t wait for the Jazz Bass now and it has me eyeing the telecaster as well…

Excellent value for money in my opinion, so thanks for pointing it out OP!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice one man. Great score. My Jazzer should arrive this week !!!!

Havent bought a guitar for years. 
  • Got a green jazz master for £222 from b stock. Hopefully it's ok but seems a real bargain at that price...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jazz bass arrived today and the finish is excellent. Really impressed with that. The setup however, was atrocious! The relief was almost a couple of millimetres (honestly) and the action was about 1mm at the 17th fret, so whoever signed that off must have been having a bad day!

Easily rectified though and now it plays well. The fretwork is great.

Had I not known how to do a set up though - I would have been disappointed as it was almost unplayable out of the box.

I would get another of the 40th anniversary though as they are excellent quality at this price, but you may have to do some work yourself, which I do on all my guitars irrespective of the price paid.
  • The jazz master arrived and as above really impressed with the overall finish. Action is a bit high so will have a look at that, fretwork seems excellent. Really like the paint finish. Bit of a bargain.....