Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Calling Audiophiles. Turntable recommendation and setup - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Calling Audiophiles. Turntable recommendation and setup

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• blobb said:
    If you've got nothing at all and want to listen to records cheaply, go on Richer Sounds and see what they have got in their budget systems range.

Otherwise you are opening up a whole world of bits n pieces. You need a turntable, an amp with a phono stage and some speakers. This sytem won't be the 'best' you can get or even the best on a budget, but it will let you listen to records in a nice way to start with. Everything else comes later, and as you can see everyone has a different view.
    Definitely agree with this. I went into Richer sounds and came away with a similar 'starter' set up, but went a couple of steps up from those. Still very happy with it all 7 years later and have felt no need to upgrade anything.

• Pro-ject Debut Carbon
    • Marantz PM5004
    • Wharfdale Diamond 220 speakers
    I can't think of an area I would upgrade for my record collection. I've recently added the cheapest CD player that Richer Sounds offer and that is great to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    edited September 2023
    ROOG said:
    blobb said:
    If you've got nothing at all and want to listen to records cheaply, go on Richer Sounds and see what they have got in their budget systems range.

Otherwise you are opening up a whole world of bits n pieces. You need a turntable, an amp with a phono stage and some speakers. This sytem won't be the 'best' you can get or even the best on a budget, but it will let you listen to records in a nice way to start with. Everything else comes later, and as you can see everyone has a different view.
    I completely agree, @blobb , if you just want to play your records go with a simple package including phono amp or Bluetooth if that is your preference. 
    Its all too easy to get drawn into expensive audiophile 'mix n-match' shenanigan's, best avoided in my opinion.

Signed, "The recovering Audio-loon

Well not exactly starting from scratch. I have some Genelec 8020D active monitors that I like to reuse to save a few quid (and space). Although I'll now need a monitor controller as they don't have a volume knob. Something like this https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_monicon_l.htm
    And then the Schiit Mani 2 phono preamp I purchased. I massively underestimated what buying a decent turntable involved Definitely not as fun as researching and buying guitars!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    TheMarlin said:
    viz said:
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve just remembered. I’ve got a fifth turntable!

it’s a Denon DP55 direct drive turntable. It’s not got a lid, but it’s an excellent turntable. 

I’d let it go cheap here for £250 (no tonearm(. 

I’ve got spare tonearms,

Origin Live Endounter 3c
    Michelle Technoarm 2 

but both are expensive. 
    what's the origin live tonearm like?
    I’m my opinion, an SME beater!
    I’ve also got an Origin Live Conqueror, which i use on my Nottingham Audio deck. Superb tonearm
    Yep, I’ve wanted the Enterprise for many a year. The Agile is probably overkill. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    @octavio - check my signature!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    edited September 2023
    Octavio said:
    ROOG said:
    blobb said:

I completely agree, @blobb , if you just want to play your records go with a simple package including phono amp or Bluetooth if that is your preference. 
    Its all too easy to get drawn into expensive audiophile 'mix n-match' shenanigan's, best avoided in my opinion.

Well not exactly starting from scratch. I have some Genelec 8020D active monitors that I like to reuse to save a few quid (and space). Although I'll now need a monitor controller as they don't have a volume knob. Something like this https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_monicon_l.htm
    And then the Schiit Mani 2 phono preamp I purchased. I massively underestimated what buying a decent turntable involved Definitely not as fun as researching and buying guitars!

Yes I see your point, I was just thinking of the record player bit, definitely keep the bits you currently value and build around that. No point in wasting them. Really I was agreeing with approaching Richer Sounds for their no nonsense help and advice and sensible equipment selection.

As the owner of much audio kit both past and present, some silly expensive, I realise that I was suckered in by the snobbish attitude of most HiFi dealers and steer clear of them as much as possible these days, bit by bit I am in the process of selling some items of Stereo kit in preference for proven lower cost items.  My Naim power amplifier is next to go!

• ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    blobb said:

QUAD and CAM R50's for the win! :)
    Hi @blobb I might be a bit out of touch, what are the CAM R50's, loudspeakers perhaps? 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Yes. Great big transmission lines. Cambridge R50. More furniture than anything else but sound like nothing else. :#
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    ROOG said:
    Octavio said:
    ROOG said:
    blobb said:

Yes I see your point, I was just thinking of the record player bit, definitely keep the bits you currently value and build around that. No point in wasting them. Really I was agreeing with approaching Richer Sounds for their no nonsense help and advice and sensible equipment selection.

As the owner of much audio kit both past and present, some silly expensive, I realise that I was suckered in by the snobbish attitude of most HiFi dealers and steer clear of them as much as possible these days, bit by bit I am in the process of selling some items of Stereo kit in preference for proven lower cost items.  My Naim power amplifier is next to go!

Good call @ROOG, getting shut of Naim Audio kit is always a good idea IMHO. I had what was then the top of the range Naim setup and it almost put me off listening to music. I only started listening to recorded music again when I got a replacement for the Naim setup, the hi-go magazines back then were all praising Naim so I thought it must be good as they all say it is the best. Always listen to prospective purchases before parting with any cash as not every piece of kit will sound as you would like it to sound. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    I think that, unlike most companies, Naim gear's performance actually accelerates as it gets more expensive. Most other companies' gear has diminishing returns as you spend more. So I'm surprised at your top of the range stuff not being good. Their NAP 500 is amazing, at least to my ear!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.