Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). If It's True...... - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

If It's True......

What's Hot
that we are indeed ALONE in this vast universe........that makes us VERY,VERY special,no?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    I very much doubt that we are though. However, the probability of making communication with aliens is virtually zero when you consider all the terms in the Drake equation. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Hootsmon said:
    that we are indeed ALONE in this vast universe........that makes us VERY,VERY special,no?
    Not everyone, no.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    And maybe it is true that we are special. We're also pretty fucking stupid as a species. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    We are special. I’m special. You’re special. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    It depends if you see that kind of coincidence as special or just a rare error or anomaly in the system
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Some of us are more special than others. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    Being deemed a wee bit 'special' in Norn Iron terms has its own particular meaning - not necessarily what you might aspire to .. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 6650
    rze99 said:
    We are special. I’m special. You’re special. 
    Speciaaaal, so special, speciaaaal.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    And the more everybody writes "special" the weirder it looks
  • I’m not special. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I’m not special. 
    And that's what makes you so very special. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    We're all special needs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke

Personally, I believe we are alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    I want to believe that life is pretty commonplace throughout the universe, wherever ther's water really (or any suitable chemistry). Even in that scenario, distance and time are pretty big obstacles. After all that, even if our universe is crammed with sentience, the chance of anyone wanting anything to do with us is near zero. So forever alone it is....

Bonus science outreach sentence of the day, from the linked BBC article:

The comet takes around 437 years to do one lap of our solar system - for reference it takes Earth one year.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • I need to believe there's something out there, otherwise my hopes of ever joining a rogue band of intergalactic rebels travelling the galaxy in a pimped out starship battling against the dark side are never going to come true.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I believe that *life* is commonplace wherever conditions allow it, but complex multicellular life is extremely rare if not unique to Earth, and intelligent life capable of communication or spaceflight is unique.

We are indeed very special, but most of us without the understanding of why that matters. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited September 2023
    We are not alone, never have been. 

Every culture in the world has a tale about gods coming to earth, and teaching agriculture, astronomy, mathematics etc 

what interesting is that if you go back to the earliest versions of the Old Testament (or Jewish Tora), the white haired bearded benevolent ‘all seeing god’ of the Abrahamic religions isn’t there. There is no One-God, there are dozens, potentially hundreds of gods. Each area (Sumaria, Egypt etc) had its own god who covered locally. 

That ‘one god’ of monotheism never existed. It’s an invention.  There are dozens of ‘em. Dozens!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    You are unique just like everyone else.
    Even if conditions are suitable for life elsewhere whats to say they are on our timescale geologically, we'll probably destroyed ourselves before they evolve to communicate. We've only been flying and using radio about a century and the earth is how old?
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    If we are alone, maybe there's something 'supernatural' going on after all.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    The surest indication of there being intelligent life in space is that it hasn't bothered coming to us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    All facts and evidence put aside for a moment, the idea that all the universe has created is us, is far far too depressing to comprehend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We haven’t always been special, for many thousands of years we were little more than pond life. For a species that is supposed to be so special, we are doing a great job of f@#king up our special planet in pursuit of greed. So we haven’t evolved that far.
  • I'd say yes, we are special. We, as a species,  are probably the only one on our planet to altruistically adopt other species purely for mutual happiness stuff.
    Yeppers, other symbiotic relationships exist, but not just for the "Woo, kittens/puppies make me laugh and go Squeee!"
    Other than that though, no. We're all fucked and are most likely doomed to extinction.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Hootsmon said:
    Special? No. Unique, yes.

There are, as far as we know, A Billion Billion stars. That means that even if the odds of life are as laughably small as 1 in a Billion (you'd never get the bank to lend on those odds!) that still means a Billion systems with life.

The issue is - did that life happen somewhere else a billion years ago? Is it there now but so far away we really don't exist to each other in any practical terms?

I seriously doubt that at no time in the approx 14 billion years the universe has existed there wasn't some other form of life somewhere. With that time scale odds of 1 in a Billion Billion gives just us. It only needs 2 in a Billion Billion to be more.

I do doubt that we'll ever meet them though. The universe is just too big.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMarlin said:
    We are not alone, never have been. 

Every culture in the world has a tale about gods coming to earth, and teaching agriculture, astronomy, mathematics etc 

what interesting is that if you go back to the earliest versions of the Old Testament (or Jewish Tora), the white haired bearded benevolent ‘all seeing god’ of the Abrahamic religions isn’t there. There is no One-God, there are dozens, potentially hundreds of gods. Each area (Sumaria, Egypt etc) had its own god who covered locally. 

That ‘one god’ of monotheism never existed. It’s an invention.  There are dozens of ‘em. Dozens!
    Those entire things are inventions.

If we we all completely lost our memories of everything before tomorrow morning then none of those holy books would ever exist again. There would be brand new stories that had nothing to do with what we had forgotten.

But we'd still discover all the science we know now, because it's testable and repeatable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Josh Clark’s End of the World podcast is well worth a listen. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    Special to whom?  

An outside observer may think of us humans as no more interesting than the gases of Jupiter, or the dung beetles of Africa.

If it's that we should feel that we are special then I'm not sure I agree with that either.

Those of us fortunate enough to have the luxury of existential contemplation should feel lucky rather than special.  The planet is precious as are all of its inhabitants and we certainly don't treat it as such.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 569
    In the same vein

Strange if there is a God, even stranger if there weren't.

[Is that correct use of the subjunctive in English?]

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    dazzajl said:
    All facts and evidence put aside for a moment, the idea that all the universe has created is us, is far far too depressing to comprehend. 
    Especially when you consider what a mess we've made of the little paradise we were given!