Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Cats - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Cats

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    @CHRISB50 ; Seriously, my two cat's studiously ignored many toys etc. bought for them & preferred sitting in & playing with boxes.
    One of their favourite things were the kraft paper Ikea American style grocery bags (Amazon are doing similar delivery packaging now).
    Put the bag on the floor with the end open & scratch the closed end with fingernails. Cue cats flying into the bag & careering round the floor chasing invisible mice. Hilarious & cheap.
    I even used to put the worn out bags into their beds for a while, then take them into work for a colleague that had a very old cat who couldn't get out much.
    Apparently he used to perk up at the scent of my two queens & would roll around behaving like a kitten again.
    All are sadly gone now, but some brilliant times can be had with paper & cardboard (no sticky backed plastic though...) :3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Our old two, and these two love boxes. Shoe boxes at the moment.

Bags were popular with our old cat Dolly (in my avatar). I can't find the picture, but I've got one of her looking out from the inside of a paper bag we'd used for shopping.

I wish I could entertain myself so cheaply! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited September 2023
    Our current kittens seem to love chasing an empty toilet roll tube across the floor.

Although every single cat that has ever been in our house has happily played with the same cat ball track - one of those circular plastic toys with captive balls. They all love it.

I avoid laser toys. If you do use them, and they can be funny, make sure the cat gets some kind of reward at the end.  It can be frustrating for them to hunt without a reward.

The main thing is to have variety, especially if you have an intelligent house cat - you need to rotate toys round to keep them entertained and help to prevent destructive behaviour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I would also encourage all cat owners to get a water fountain.  Cats much prefer running water, so this will help keep them hydrated whatever diet they are on
    WezV said:
    I would also encourage all cat owners to get a water fountain.  Cats much prefer running water, so this will help keep them hydrated whatever diet they are on
    Ted is into empty toilet roll tubes. 

They both like King Catnip toys at the moment. But we’re looking to get some new toys. 

A friend from work recommended us getting a fountain too. I’ll look into it. Cheers. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:
    WezV said:
    Ted is into empty toilet roll tubes. 

They both like King Catnip toys at the moment. But we’re looking to get some new toys. 

A friend from work recommended us getting a fountain too. I’ll look into it. Cheers. 
    Cardboard boxes, toilet roll tubes etc. all good free eco friendly fun  ;) :+1: 
    I had to stop the catnip toys as it was becoming a bit 'kittycrack' ... also the dog that I had, used to rip up their catnip toys. 
    Water fountains are a good idea, mine used to be fascinated by playing with the water stream from the garden hose.
    So much for cat's not liking water...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Paper carrier bags are fun too
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    Paper carrier bags are fun too
    I heartily concur & refer you to my earlier comments from 10.56am  :+1: 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks @GoFish ! You're right. It is the best kind of new day.

@Reverend recently I tend to call him Tedwig after the owl in Harry Potter, but he has also been known as Teddington. We will add Tedward and Little Ted N into the mix.
    Tedley Lamar
    Ted Zeppelin
    Be Quick or be Ted

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Reverend said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks @GoFish ! You're right. It is the best kind of new day.

@Reverend recently I tend to call him Tedwig after the owl in Harry Potter, but he has also been known as Teddington. We will add Tedward and Little Ted N into the mix.
    Tedley Lamar
    Ted Zeppelin
    Be Quick or be Ted

My wife particularly liked Ted Zeppelin (but she hates the band!)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • better not show my Daughter these Photo's ! 
    “Ken sent me.”
    better not show my Daughter these Photo's ! 

Teddy says, "Hi!"

• Beautiful cats 
    Beautiful cats 
    Cheers mate. 

They’re lovely aren’t they :)

Teddy is gorgeous, always love to see cat's with pink jelly bean paws  :)
    Teddy is gorgeous, always love to see cat's with pink jelly bean paws  :)
    Thanks Kitty. Lola has them too :)

Saw that earlier. Nice that they’ve been reunited. 

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 607
    edited September 2023
    WezV said:

We have a water fountain for ours, and they like to drink from everything else except that - puddles in the garden, drops of water left in the sink or bath, they'll even stick their heads down the toilet if we leave the lid up.

We've ended up keeping the fountain running just in case they want to drink from it while we aren't looking, and leaving a bowl of water next to it, which they seem to prefer.
    edited September 2023
    Well it is a cat, they like to be contrary.

We had one that would only drink from puddles, but all the indoor ones seem to like the fountain.