Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Cats - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Cats

What's Hot
Some of you may remember we lost Oscar and Dolly in the early part of this year, after almost 18 years.

Initially we weren't sure if we would get more cats as it was so upsetting when they went. But the house wasn't right. Too quiet. So we started looking.

We now have 2 lovely kittens, Lola and Teddy.

Lola is very inquisitive and quite bold. She's the confident one, and has the most amazing tail!

(Don't worry, we're getting a fire guard!)

Teddy is more nervous, but gaining confidence. He looks up to Lola and is her shadow. He doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box, but he's handsome, so he'll get by.

We've had them for a few weeks now, and they seem really happy. 

We love them to bits. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 28reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    They look great.  

Oddly, it's often the more intelligent cats that seem stupid.  They can be very inquisitive and try to figure things out, then we think they are daft for getting it wrong... whereas the dumb cats just sit their ignoring everything, acting all aloof and we assume they must know something ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Well they both look awesome! 

I agree with Wez on the intelligence thing. Our 2 are genuinely really smart but they do they stupidest things simply because the alternative would be doing nothing. And that would be boring... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Our two are just thick. 

The daughters decided on Teddy and Bear as names!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    They are both lovely & will bring you much happiness & exasperation.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the fireguard. My two used to love sitting on the stove top & knew when not to jump up & when to get down  ;)
  • Lovely! We have three cats, because three's the same as two (And four's the same as three...) that way if one wants to play and the other doesn't, they've got another option!
  • We haven't 'replaced' our cat yet since we have nice new furniture and would like to keep it that way for a bit, but we do miss her a lot. It is only a matter of time!!

They look gorgeous by the way and I am jealous of the fun you will have.
    Lovely! We have three cats, because three's the same as two (And four's the same as three...) that way if one wants to play and the other doesn't, they've got another option!
    this logic is why I currently have 9 in the house!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    I've always suggested that the optimum number of cats is about 1.8.

3 is a handful, and a pain to separate on your own if they ever fight. 2 is still a pain in the arse, but 1 is definitely not enough.  

I have been very tempted to pinch one of the strays that live in our office car park. If anyone wants an Arabian Mau they're everywhere here, super loyal and absolutely gorgeous little bastards! 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    You've got 2 lovely kittens there, and I know they've been with you a while, but HNCD x2!! It's the best sort of new day.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Thanks for the kind words all.

They're both running round like lunatics at the moment. 

@stickyfiddle and @WezV Ted is a sitter and watcher. When he does get up and do something it's generally pretty silly. He has a real thing at the moment for chasing his tail. 

@crunchman Ted's full name is... Teddy Bear. As he's so scruffy he resembles one of the tatty teddies you see on the birthday cards. The fosterer named him and we kept it. Suits him.

@kittyfrisk sure, our old two never went near the stove when it was on, but my wife doesn't trust the kittens with it. I think they'd probably be fine but she's not having it!

@HerbieTheRadDorkLift 3 is a good number. My wife wanted 4 and my eldest daughter is a mad cat lady in waiting. She'd have as many as possible. 2 is good for me. Food and litter can get expensive (especially these days)!! The 2 fosterers we saw, one had 12 cats, the other had 9 like Wez. I don't think I could handle it!

@kaypeejay sorry for your loss. It's horrible isn't it. One of the main discussions we had before we got them was furniture. Our old 2 wrecked our old house between them. One did carpets, the other furniture :lol:  When we moved to our new place a couple of years back we spent a fair bit on new a sofa and chairs. Fingers crossed, these two aren't interested. The door mat is getting a hammering, but the chairs are fine. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    CHRISB50 said:
    Thanks for the kind words all.

They're both running round like lunatics at the moment. 

@stickyfiddle and @WezV Ted is a sitter and watcher. When he does get up and do something it's generally pretty silly. He has a real thing at the moment for chasing his tail. 

@crunchman Ted's full name is... Teddy Bear. As he's so scruffy he resembles one of the tatty teddies you see on the birthday cards. The fosterer named him and we kept it. Suits him.

@kittyfrisk sure, our old two never went near the stove when it was on, but my wife doesn't trust the kittens with it. I think they'd probably be fine but she's not having it!

@HerbieTheRadDorkLift 3 is a good number. My wife wanted 4 and my eldest daughter is a mad cat lady in waiting. She'd have as many as possible. 2 is good for me. Food and litter can get expensive (especially these days)!! The 2 fosterers we saw, one had 12 cats, the other had 9 like Wez. I don't think I could handle it!

@kaypeejay sorry for your loss. It's horrible isn't it. One of the main discussions we had before we got them was furniture. Our old 2 wrecked our old house between them. One did carpets, the other furniture :lol:  When we moved to our new place a couple of years back we spent a fair bit on new a sofa and chairs. Fingers crossed, these two aren't interested. The door mat is getting a hammering, but the chairs are fine. 
    If you haven't called him Tedward Bear, Teddington and Little Ted Nugent ty. en you should be fined heavily
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I've always suggested that the optimum number of cats is about 1.8.

3 is a handful, and a pain to separate on your own if they ever fight. 2 is still a pain in the arse, but 1 is definitely not enough.  

I have been very tempted to pinch one of the strays that live in our office car park. If anyone wants an Arabian Mau they're everywhere here, super loyal and absolutely gorgeous little bastards! 

I'd have one! I love their skinny tails.

Whenever we go on holiday we always seem to adopt a cat for the time we're away.

Thailand / Greece / Spain, always end up feeding / petting the cats.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Thanks @GoFish ! You're right. It is the best kind of new day.

@Reverend recently I tend to call him Tedwig after the owl in Harry Potter, but he has also been known as Teddington. We will add Tedward and Little Ted N into the mix.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    Yeah, same here re holidays. We went to Petra a few years ago. Saw all the old Nabatean architecture, climbed the mountain, etc etc.

The best bit? Cats bloody everywhere!! One walked with us pretty much the whole way up the mountain. And there was a troupe of them up there waiting for us. And more at the bottom when we went for a cup of tea to warm up. 

Even the pub next to our hotel had a couple of locals  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So sweet! We lost our 19 year old about 2 years ago and our 16 year old girl succumbed to cancer earlier this year so we were in a similar boat. We've had these brothers for a few weeks now though, it's flown by!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    So sweet! We lost our 19 year old about 2 years ago and our 16 year old girl succumbed to cancer earlier this year so we were in a similar boat. We've had these brothers for a few weeks now though, it's flown by!

Sorry to hear about your older two. It sucks doesn't it.

Your two new boys are handsome! Have they kept you up at night? Our two are a nightmare when they're together at night. Won't stop playing. 

• CHRISB50 said:

Litter and food, tell me about it...

Our first cat had a digestion problems and we found she could only eat Ziwipeak wet food (£41 for 12 185g tins), then when we got the other girls they had to eat it too to stop the poorly one eating food that wasn't suitable for her.

Anyway, I'm sure she'd be fine now 2 years on but we now find leaving Meowing Heads biccies out all day and night is fine for all. That's still £37odd for 4kg though.

Litter-wise, we find Odourlock the best. £17 for 12kg but it lasts aaaages, it clumps up really solidly. We spray the litter down with Dettol antibac aerosol inbetween cleans!
  • CHRISB50 said:
    So sweet! We lost our 19 year old about 2 years ago and our 16 year old girl succumbed to cancer earlier this year so we were in a similar boat. We've had these brothers for a few weeks now though, it's flown by!

Sorry to hear about your older two. It sucks doesn't it.

Your two new boys are handsome! Have they kept you up at night? Our two are a nightmare when they're together at night. Won't stop playing. 
    Yeah it was horrible to be honest, as you said, even just coming back from work knowing that they would be there in the house was something we missed. 

Definitely didn't get much sleep when they first arrived, it was like having a newborn! The have calmed a bit now and sleep on the bottom of our bed throughout the night, same as the others did. They do wake up early though and I am aware of them wandering around the house trying to play with something they shouldn't so I tend to get up and give them breakfast at about 6.
    Great pics @stickyfiddle ;

Love the faces of those cats. 

You also look pretty happy! 

• CHRISB50 said:
    Great pics @stickyfiddle ;

Love the faces of those cats. 

You also look pretty happy! 
    Haha yeah that was at the end of the hike, i.e. lunchtime! And I had a cat on me :D 
    CHRISB50 said:

I don't think I could handle 9 adults.   6 of them are a foster litter we have hand reared and they are just about ready to go to new homes.  It was relatively easy when they arrived, ignoring the night feeds, they tend to stay put.  Now it is chaos, and impossible to keep the house clean.  I'm hoping its the last litter of the year, we will see.

We have 3 resident cats, but will be keeping one of this litter to be back up to 4 as we lost one early in the year.

With food and litter you do get what you pay for.  You can skimp, but with both you will end up cleaning up more shit if you do.
    We make a point of getting them on a recovery/gastrointestinal diet when we get fosters in, reset their stomachs and then get them on a decent food like James Wellbeloved as soon as possible.  It saves a lot of hassle cleaning up after a cat who is making a mess because of a cheaper food. The other benefit is they smell a lot less when on decent food.  
  • Do check out Meowing Heads!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    My son moved back in 7 months ago and brought his girlfriend and the two cats with him. We will get some when they move out.
    slacker said:
    My son moved back in 7 months ago and brought his girlfriend and the two cats with him. We will get some when they move out.
    Nah, just throw them out & keep the cats. You know it makes sense  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    @Alterlifeson I think the earliest I’ve been woken so far is 3:30, but luckily that was a one off. Most mornings they have us up by 5-5:30. This morning 5. It is like having a baby again. 

@HerbieTheRadDorklift cheers. I’ll check the food and litter out. We fed our old two exclusively on Royal Canin dry food. But they ended up with constipation issues later in life. They wouldn’t eat wet food at all. This time we’ve given wet and dry food. For litter we’ve always used Catsan. It’s so bloody expensive now I’m after an alternative. So I’ll be having look. 

@WezV as I’ve said before I really admire what you’re doing. I love them, but I couldn’t handle that many cats. The fosterer we got Lola from said she was sad to see the kittens go. But was happy they were going before they reached the destructive stage. I think I’d find it hard giving them up to others too. Can’t be easy. Do you know which kitten you’re going to keep? Will check out the food you mentioned too. Cheers. 

@slacker cats are great aren’t they! I’d never had one before our previous two. My wife got a cat when she was 10, that lived with her through her 20s. She suggested we got cats when we bought our first place. I’m so glad she did! You won’t regret it. 

We are keeping the one most likely to have health problems, obviously :)
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Awww beautiful kittens! Kittens and cats make basically anything and everything better.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1230
    edited September 2023
    Hopefully getting a new cat on Tuesday.

Sadly my previous amazing Savannah went out one day in early October last year (one month short of his 4th birthday) and never came back. I fear it is more likely that he is dead rather than stolen, as there are literally only a handful of houses anywhere near me.

Today I've been hit by The Curse of Flat Pack…. bought a new Cat Tower, as the old one was distinctly ragged. No matter which way I orientated the Base, I could only get 3 out of the 4 bolts in to fix the bottom Cube on. Hoping the replacement arrives before the cat does.

Hopefully getting a new cat on Tuesday.

Sadly my previous amazing Savannah went out one day in early October last year (one month short of his 4th birthday) and never came back. I fear it is more likely that he is dead rather than stolen, as there are literally only a handful of houses anywhere near me.

Today I've been hit by The Curse of Flat Pack…. bought a new Cat Tower, as the old one was distinctly ragged. No matter which way I orientated the Base, I could only get 3 out of the 4 bolts in to fix the bottom Cube on. Hoping the replacement arrives before the cat does.

Don't worry. Ignore the cat tower, keep the box & you'll have a happy cat.
    Good luck with the arrival of your new boss  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers @Benm39 Yes, that is a fact. 

@ArchtopDave sorry to hear about Savannah. You must be excited about Tuesday. Post pics! Hope you got the cat tower sorted. If not, I reckon @Kittyfrisk has a point :lol: