Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sleep - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sleep

What's Hot
Do you go to bed and fall asleep and that's you until you wake in morning or do you wake multiple times throughout the night?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    No and Yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Yes and yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Multiple times even when sleeping well with no insomnia, it sucks
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 114
    The former since starting to exercise regularly. Going to bed at the same time helps.
    In the spirit of full disclosure & clarification, I usually go to bed & get to sleep immediately.
    I then have frequent episodes of being awake, but can turn over & drift off again.
    I only seem to be able to achieve the delightful, blissful, perfect, warm, comfortable, cosy state of drifting off in serene harmony about 5 minutes before I have to get up to go to an appointment or walk the dog that I have recently been landed with. Grrrrrr!!
    My Apple watch sleep tracker corroborates these events with uncanny accuracy.
    This doesn't help my sleep at all, but at least I know I'm not imagining things...
  • My head hits the pillow and I never remember anything until the alarm goes off next morning. I don't think I've ever remembered a single dream. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    edited September 2023
    I sleep pretty well now I have a weighted blanket.

[edit] the main benefit seems to be that it stops my brain from chitter-chattering away at me. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I fall asleep quickly......wake once or twice in the night but go back to sleep straight away
  • Wake up at least twice in the middle of the night, very restless, never seem to sleep more than 3 hours in a row.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I generally have no problem getting offto sleep. I wake up about half an hour later, get up, turn off the telly and them go to bed.

My problem is getting back to sleep after getting up for a night-time slash. I've tried all manner of things but the simple fact is that if I'm awake then I'm awake. If I can't get back to sleep quickly then I have to read until I fall asleep, which can take a while. 
    Sporky said:
    I hear that they can work well for many people.
    I prefer the lighter touch of a sheet & an old fashioned style cotton cellular blanket.
    If it gets really cold in winter, then a 1 TOG quilt can be added.
    I'm hot stuff  ;)
    As to @Neilybob , I frequently dream in colour with touch, sound & lucid awareness (I know I'm in the dream while being in it). Plus recall, so if I wake I can usually drop back into the dream timeline.
    Don't think this is everyone's 'normal' but it is mine & is quite fun... unless it was a nightmare  :#
  • Parkinsons Disease and the medication required mean I am up multiple times through the night either scared or cramped up or screaming or needing a pee...

I'm used to it though, and I get a nap or 2 in during the day, even at work I'm allowed to nap if needed.
  • Sporky said:
    I prefer the lighter touch of a sheet & an old fashioned style cotton cellular blanket.
    I'm hot stuff  ;)
    As to @Neilybob , I frequently dream in colour with touch, sound & lucid awareness (I know I'm in the dream while being in it). Plus recall, so if I wake I can usually drop back into the dream timeline.
    Don't think this is everyone's 'normal' but it is mine & is quite fun... unless it was a nightmare  :#
    If I'm having a nightmare and wake up I have to get up for a bit or I'll go back into the same dream state. It's usually a bit different but feels the same.

Usually I get up once a night for a pee and some water. I don't really mind getting up, I sometimes even have a cup of tea or just sit and read for a bit until my core temperature goes down. It's probably the most relaxed time for me, knowing that I'll be snuggling back into bed again and drift off.
    Usually about 5am so I know I'll get another couple of hours at least. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    I was telling my BIL about my regular awakenings and explained that i have not slept "right through" since my 20's

He says he goes tae bed and the next thing it's the morning......I got a wee bit jealous and wondered how the rest of mankind done....Oh,another thing that may or may not be normal........I have NEVER unintentionally fallen asleep in my life

You know, after heavy xmas feast,or half way through a late night movie....or a Tacoma Bridge album.......It's just never happened for me
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005

Mostly go to sleep easily wake up too early, slightly need a wee and so go, then go back to bed sleep till the alarm.

My wife is having dreadful sleep problems. It's driving her and us a bit crazy. It's the old menopause or related I reckon. She's tried a LOT of things
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1128
    At the moment due to work, I've got issues falling asleep, but generally once I'm asleep, I sleep fairly well.

Historically the whole 8hrs continuous sleep is something that seems to come from the industrial revolution, as prior to that, there are numerous references to people being awake for a period in the middle of the night/early morning after sleeping for a few hours, then going back to sleep for another few hours.
    Sporky said:
    I went for a cooling one - in winter I put another (normal) blanket on top. I overheat easily. 

• Sleeping with three Chihuahuas on your bed is definitely not conducive to a good nights sleep.

I've learnt that the hard way.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I can’t remember the last time I had a really good sleep. Recently I’m taking ages to fall asleep and waking several times during the night.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    I fall asleep easily and I hardly ever wake up during the night, but I don't get many hours' sleep so that's probably not good.

Sleeping with three Chihuahuas on your bed is definitely not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Nothing wrong with a midnight Feast
    A square or two of plain chocolate or a banana is a fantastic sleep aid
    Lavender bag also works well
  • I keep late hours but always wake and get up and get on with the next day ... can't do lie-ins any more.

I'm usually so tired (or pissed ... or both) that I go to sleep immediately and I almost always sleep soundly for 4 to 5 hours ... this has been the case for the last 40 years or so.

I'm obviously way out of kilter with health sector recommendations but I suppose it's a case of 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it ' IMHO.

Tis a double edged sword though ... Mrs F bears the brunt of it because her sleep pattern is disrupted by me :anguished: 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    I can nod off very quickly sometimes, especially when I'm sitting at the comput   hudsf    n p
    f69f.
    n4qdddddd           bb
    ..jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjm

\\\\\\\\\\

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    I usually find a pre sleep sleep on the sofa doesn’t help my sleep pattern…..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Sleeping with three Chihuahuas on your bed is definitely not conducive to a good nights sleep.

Swapping to one Old English Sheepdog is not recommended. Like having a thermonuclear octopus with elbows in the bed, and always looking for her keys which she definitely dropped somewhere around here. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I tend to go to sleep fairly easily although I occasionally struggle. 

Once I’m asleep I don’t wake up. Until I need a piss. 

Usually between 4am and 5am. 

Which is annoying as my alarm goes off at 5:30am. 

I never sleep in the day. It makes me feel like shit. 

If I’m really tired I’d rather try and get an early night, but being honest, that rarely happens. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I'm pretty much positive that not being able to sleep properly is to do with stress/anxiety.
    Probably the most commonly prescribed medication for sleep are benzos and all the really do is calm you and stop you worrying so you can go to sleep. 

This stress can often be largely sub-conscious so you might think that on the face of it you're not worrying about anything but I'd bet my bottom dollar you are.
    You need to try and figure out what it is and how to resolve it. 

I found meditation and mindfulness and different things helpful because they can bring these things forward. 

That may sound a bit airy-fairy I'm sure but I'm pretty much convinced of it. Or at least it worked for me.

Although doesn't stop you needing a pee! 

It's actually natural to wake up a few times at night but you should just turn over and go back to sleep straight away and not really realise it happened. 

• CHRISB50 said:

If I’m really tired I’d rather try and get an early night, but being honest, that rarely happens. 
    What do you consider an early night? 
    If you're getting up at 5.30 you should be ideally going to bed about 10-11.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited September 2023
    SpoonMan said:
    CHRISB50 said:

What do you consider an early night? 
    If you're getting up at 5.30 you should be ideally going to bed about 10-11.
    Sure. I’m always asleep by (absolute latest) 11 during the week. Normal bedtime for me is around half 10. 

Early night is 9 or 10, but then I do struggle to go to sleep, even if I am tired. It’s just too early. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to